Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My name is Dawn and I'm addicted to collecting cordage :)

Well, it's something to shoot for, ain't it? Knot sculpture. Knowing that stuff will certainly be good for practical uses. But since it's an "obsession", I figure that beyond practical application, you may enjoy "doing" something with it all instead of just knowing the knots.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...sch&q=rope+art

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...qxu32w#imgrc=_
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTree View Post
    Well, it's something to shoot for, ain't it? Knot sculpture. Knowing that stuff will certainly be good for practical uses. But since it's an "obsession", I figure that beyond practical application, you may enjoy "doing" something with it all instead of just knowing the knots.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...sch&q=rope+art

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...qxu32w#imgrc=_
    No doubt it would be cool

Dawn,
    I think that there are a lot of folks just like you. They like knots and knows several and realize how useful knowing the "right" knot is but in truth they use maybe 8 or at the most 10 different ones in the course of a camp out or boating or whatever. I love all the different kinds and colors of thread, twine, cordage, rope and line that is around today. I like to use the real bright "Day Glow" colors myself! I usually carry a couple of 50' hanks of paracord in my pickup kit along with two or three other pieces of larger line for repelling ECT. I am NOT a braider or a weaver or do macrame but I too love knots and ropes! My "go to" knot family nowadays in based on the Figure 8 family of knots, but in horse packing I also use a barrel hitch, diamond, double diamond hitch and being an old Boy Scout I use a tautline hitch and a clove hitch often also.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJohnson View Post
    Dawn,
    I think that there are a lot of folks just like you. They like knots and knows several and realize how useful knowing the "right" knot is but in truth they use maybe 8 or at the most 10 different ones in the course of a camp out or boating or whatever. I love all the different kinds and colors of thread, twine, cordage, rope and line that is around today. I like to use the real bright "Day Glow" colors myself! I usually carry a couple of 50' hanks of paracord in my pickup kit along with two or three other pieces of larger line for repelling ECT. I am NOT a braider or a weaver or do macrame but I too love knots and ropes! My "go to" knot family nowadays in based on the Figure 8 family of knots, but in horse packing I also use a barrel hitch, diamond, double diamond hitch and being an old Boy Scout I use a tautline hitch and a clove hitch often also.
    thanks for the kind response DSJohnson I guess in my little surburban corner of the world here, what must seem quite commonplace in this forum is rather "unique", "strange" and "eccentric" I commute 14 miles back and forth from an office of around 900 folks. I am the only one who will sit outside along the parking lot in my Helinox chair reading or listening/watching the suburban birds, not to even mention playing with my knots, and most recently inventorying my GHB on a beach blanket on the grass

Quote Originally Posted by NJHeart2Heart View Post
    thanks for the kind response DSJohnson I guess in my little surburban corner of the world here, what must seem quite commonplace in this forum is rather "unique", "strange" and "eccentric" I commute 14 miles back and forth from an office of around 900 folks. I am the only one who will sit outside along the parking lot in my Helinox chair reading or listening/watching the suburban birds, not to even mention playing with my knots, and most recently inventorying my GHB on a beach blanket on the grass
    So what, pray tell, is in your GHB?

Walking Tree.. I do like this one : http://illusion.scene360.com/wp-cont...ess-art-01.jpg Simple, but.. neat

Rick, please give examples on your pontifications.

I have never served as a bishop or participated in a pontifical mass. Beyond that, I wear a hong. Did that answer your question?

Which knot do you prefer with your hong? Or is it knotless?
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Knot are fine. Placement is key.

Hey DSJohnson.. What a great.. and dangerous question you ask.. Besides collecting cordage, I LOVE to talk about my stuff and I'm a list maker, so I have THE LIST and pics already online

Let me see what I can scare up.. and I'll share on the appropriate forum

If I may be so bold.........GHB......Get Home Bag?

(DS, for us country folk ....it's the all that "stuff" we carry in our truck or trunk.....LOL)

H2H, gotta hand it to you, you are trying....and are most likely on the top of that 900 folks, curve, I would guess.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

No, no, no, no, no. You and Crash have GHT...Get Home Trucks. You both already have more gear in your truck that most 3rd world countries possess. There's a few more on here that would fit that mold too.

Love my GHT.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    No, no, no, no, no. You and Crash have GHT...Get Home Trucks. You both already have more gear in your truck that most 3rd world countries possess. There's a few more on here that would fit that mold too.
    LOL!!!! I love it! I'd be fascinated if those with GHTs have a scaled down version for if the truck dies, or more likely in the northeast US here, gets stuck in stand still for hours traffic?

Both those guys have GHBs for their GHBs. In the event that the world does come to an end I envision both of them parked on the side of the road selling survival items like a carnival vendor. Once they sell everything they will get their GHB, a lawn chair and a cool drink and watch the world melt down; well stocked and rich from the sale.

So.. DSJohnson.. you asked.. I obliged...

This link will give you a short slideshow of photos/listing of my current Get Home Bag and Dayhike Bag If you enjoyed my introduction, I think you'll enjoy the short intro to this too

https://docs.google.com/presentation...it?usp=sharing

Looks like you have your bases covered very well.....
    Nice kit.

Congrats.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Bravo. I think you did will. You said one thing that should be true for everyone. "Consideration of my own individual needs." Too many folks overlook that and only put together something they've read on the net. Cudos for building it to suit you. I don't think you can have too much TP. A full roll is lightweight and offers a lot of multi use. Add a small bottle of hand sanitize to save water and you have the perfect fire starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Both those guys have GHBs for their GHBs. In the event that the world does come to an end I envision both of them parked on the side of the road selling survival items like a carnival vendor. Once they sell everything they will get their GHB, a lawn chair and a cool drink and watch the world melt down; well stocked and rich from the sale.
    You're cracking me up Rick!! LOL!!