Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deep/Sub Arctic survival

Default Deep/Sub Arctic survival

TL;DR
    I would like someone as a helpful neighbor, who can teach me primitive survival and clothing techniques in the months before winter, and help me to survive through two or three winters after that. I'm not able to pay anyone anything, all of the money I have is for getting to where I need to be and spare foodstuffs.

Any help or a point in the right direction is much appreciated!

Wondering if anyone is or knows someone who homesteads or bushcamps in the arctic, preferably in Canada or Europe, and can help me out with several things:

*How to survive, long-term, in the worst of winter conditions

*How to skin, tan, and sew seal and deer leather into waterproof survival clothing (Seal preferable since I need non synthetic waterproof material, however, if you know of a natural way to waterproof deerskin then that is also 100% acceptable)

*How to live off the land with minimal loss to animal life. If this is not possible, a teacher who highly respects animals and their importance to our ecosystem and not someone who's of the "Everything that's not a person is up for grabs" mindset.

*Someone who can communicate and understand that I have only camped for about 2 weeks at the longest, and never in bushcraft style, but if things are explained to me and I can functionally do it with my hands I will learn. Basically, someone who understands and can teach patience (I am very impatient when it comes to understanding things. I won't stop bothering someone until I know I can do it one handed (both handed) and blindfolded)

I don't have a lot of money. I'm not expecting this to be easy. I need someone who will teach, and not just preach. Someone who can leave me to my own devicces for the most part, but is easily accesible and willing to discuss something if I'm having issues.

I need my father to know that no matter what, in any situation, I will be okay. I will never go hungry, and I will never be without shelter, fire, and food if I absolutely need it. I need to do this for all the people that said that I couldn't, and that My Side of the Mountain was nothing more that a childrens' story that I could never aspire to.

I know there are simpler ways to start, to build up to Arctic survival. But that's not how I work. I can't dip my toes in and say "Ehhhhhhhhhhh, mayyyyyyybe in the next ten years......?" I've had twenty years of that already, and I'm ready to just do it.
    Last edited by ThayHau; 07-26-2016 at 06:09 AM.

You want all that in the next few months? Hmmm. Read this:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ve-in-the-Wild

That's quiet the tall order, and throwing yourself in the deep end.
    I have never tried my hand at arctic survival..
    but just some word of advise, perhaps find a wilderness survival school? I don't know what area your in?
    also you may want to try your hand at a few days of survival/bush craft type camping..
    as you really need to test any skills and tools learnt in a controlled environment before having to rely on it in the real life.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

have a look at this, heheh
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Arctic survival is the most difficult kind of survival that anybody can try. In that environment their is very little food and most of what you get your going to have to kill something. Why anybody would want to live in the far north arctic is beyond me!
    Just get your license and become an ICE ROAD TRUCKER..........lol

Good luck with that.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thayhau... I admire your gumption. The last chapter of an adventure book was written for you and like minded souls. The last chapter of the book is titled "Is the wilderness for you?" That chapter is dedicated to the necessary items and skill sets needed for anyone contemplating running off to the wilderness. It is a reality check of sorts and although it doesn't discourage heading to the unknown, it strongly suggests preparing well in advance before actually heading to the bush.

It's good you are inquiring on a knowledge base like this forum. As you admit yourself, you have a lot to learn with little experience. I noticed you asked about seal and deer tanning. Unless you meant Caribou (reindeer), there are no typical deer that you are likely familiar with in the far north.

I have no idea of your game plan and what help and resources you will have available on this endeavor. I would pin down the area you want to move to and then learn everything you can about the area. There is no better teacher than a local person in the area. Learn survival basics. Save for proper clothing. Good outerwear and boots. I would suggest doing it in steps. There are plenty of places in the US and Canada where you can get a good dose of bitter cold and snow this winter and practice your techniques and still be handy to a warm building if need be.

I understand the strong desire for adventure and wanting to push the envelope as much as any one on this forum, but there's a place for prudence. As much experience as I have homesteading, wilderness and bush camps, I would be out of my element in the high arctic, frozen tundra, seal territory. If I was heading to that country, I'd be boning up on everything I've suggested to you myself. We all have our comfort zone and that comfort zone is determined by our knowledge and experience. Good luck!
    Off Grid and Free-My Path to the Wilderness Available on Amazon www.inthewilderness.net

Good luck with your adventure....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

No intro and he didn't even buy us dinner before ....!

Well, good luck with that!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I'm thinkin'.......

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Man, you have a long way to go and a short time to get there.

Too much to know, not hardly knowing anything to start with, and in one of the worst places you could be. Re-think things, man, because ricks pic in his last post isn't a joke.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

I'm thinking with a case of 6,000,000 BTU hot sauce, a person might have a chance at preventing that.
    Off Grid and Free-My Path to the Wilderness Available on Amazon www.inthewilderness.net

That was the other gamer guy......LOL

Yeah I know, I like to combine things to keep it interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by ronjnk View Post
    Yeah I know, I like to combine things to keep it interesting.
    What I find interesting is the thinking that goes into posts like the OP........???????

To survive the worst winter conditions....endeavor to be inside. Failing that, see Rick's picture. You think you know real cold, but you don't. Real cold is when exposed skin freezes in under a minute.

To make waterproof boots out of sealskin, you take the sealskin, right? And trade it for some freaking gumboots. I've worn theoretically waterproof sealskin kamiks. They are okay. Know what's better? Pair of gumboots. But sealskin kamiks rock in winter. Seal meat's pretty good if you cook it right. or don't cook it at all and slice it real thin, though under those circumstances you really know you've been eating it.

Living off the land with minimal loss of animal life is actually impossible. Not figuratively impossible, not inconvenient. Impossible. Tundra doesn't grow enough plants that are fit to eat in enough quanitities. Caribou can live on lichen and grass, you can't. You can however live on caribou, and cairbou is delicious. I have a killer recipe for caribou curry. Or slice it real thin and eat it raw.

OP, if you're actually reading this...look, do you have a trade? A profession? They always need people with skills in nunavut, pay's pretty good, and if you stick it out you can build a good life for yourself. Even in the biggest city, you're never more than a half hour walk from tundra that looks like no human has ever walked on it before, and it's more beautiful than you can imagine. You wouldn't be homesteading, but you could hunt or fish in your spare time (You ever have arctic char? It's what trout wants to be when it grows up. Don't throw out the head. Best part), there's good camping or hiking, and if you play your cards right you could have work you can take pride in too. Conversely, if you try to go it alone living on the tundra, you will not be alright. Somebody will have to go out and rescue you.

Nice TB....thank you........

Note to self....anything to eat that I'm not sure if I like it or not.....and if I hungry enough....slice really thin.....
    or as the saying goes...."serve with fava beans and a nice red".....
    Last edited by hunter63; 07-26-2016 at 11:15 PM.

hey, have you ever tried to eat a thick slice of raw seal? It isn't easy. Plus if you're cutting pieces off a frozen seal, thin is easier.

Quote Originally Posted by tundrabadger View Post
    hey, have you ever tried to eat a thick slice of raw seal? It isn't easy. Plus if you're cutting pieces off a frozen seal, thin is easier.
    Nope....not many around Wisconsin....they get weird at the zoo when you start blasting away.....

Walmart is getting use to it in the poultry aisle, during turkey season......

What's the "Best Seal Gun?'

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Soooo you want someone to interrupt THEIR winter preparations in order to teach you things that they have spent their whole lives learning. You don't want to make it worth their time in any type of payment. You want them to babysit you for several years....?

Yea, good luck with that.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!