Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old pistols someone has

Default Old pistols someone has

a pistols.jpg

Just wondering if anyone knows what these pistols are? I don't know what they are of how they should sell them in the best way. I understand there is a problem selling them to dealers because of the ivory handles. I am told they are civil war era, but don't know. Thanks for any info.

I'll bet Randy has a couple laying around and can help you.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

We need better photos edr.

Those pistols should have markings on them for manufacturer, place of mfg, caliber and such.

If they are original CW era they could be Colt, Manhattan, Starr or any of a number of brands and all of them have different values. They will need to be examined by a reputable antique auction house (not a dealer or collector, they will down grade and low dollar you) for a realistic value. The one shown is in mint condition if they are original. almost too good to be 150 years old and way too good to be CW or frontier use items.

If they are modern manufacture reproductions then their value will be on a separate scale.

Then you come to the grips. If they are original and real ivory they are extremely valuable on their own. We are talking about stuff that you can no longer get. If they are modern artificial ivory they are still worth about $50, just for the grips.

From the light reflection on the photo the grips look like artificial ivory.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 07-25-2016 at 09:05 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Any marking on the barrel or receiver?
    Caliber?, Company name?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Thanks, Krat, I will relay this information and ask for markings and better photos and eventually and hopefully I will post them. If I do not then it might be that they are replicas. The family that has them actually came from an area not too far from Randy. From your information, my first bet would be that they are replicas.

I'm always in the market for something like that. I agree most likely replicas
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

a2 pistol.jpga3 pistol.jpg
    Here are a couple more photos I was sent. I see nothing on the barrel , but there is that printed paper that may indicate something.

they look to be in really good shape for the age. Here's a 100 year plus model

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

a pistol4.jpg
    Oh...one more. I sent an email to my daughter who had sent me the pictures. She is close to the family with the pistols. In the light of Kyrats comments, I question why a successful family does not understand how to find out the value of an old pistol. I am not sure of any problems that might arise from selling ivory handles either. But, anyhow, I'll let you know how it goes.

I have some relatives by that name in the hawks area.

Looks like may have been a presentation gift.....close up looks original.....

I was thinking before I really saw that photo....I wish I could remember the family name because Randy might just recognize it.

With no other markings or serial numbers, I am led to believe that those are an older set of commemorative pistols.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Well, Hunter it is interesting that it has such inscriptions. Also, that Randy recognizes the name. I really have no real part in this nor do I have any idea if there is a possibility that it could be real. This is why I asked the question. When I don't know about something....well, I listen and hopefully learn.

Will be interesting......good job on the post....
    Thanks for posting them up.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

If that is what I believe I am seeing from a blow up of the picture it appears that you have a set of presentation pistols given to the commander of a unit by his officers at the end of the war, 150 years ago. They were probably never used or fired, which is the reason for their fine condition. They do not need to be fired, the hammer cocked or the gun messed with in any way. The set does not need to be broken up by any means.

A matched pair in the condition shown is worth several thousand dollars more than the individual pistols, which are worth several thousand each.

The grips probably are real ivory, and since they are matched in age to the pistol they do not fall under the federal Ivory ban.

They need to be appraised and properly insured, and the family should look into the possibilities of donating them to a reputable museum. It they go to a nonprofit museum the family can share the history of the pistols with the community and take a real big tax break for the top appraisal market value on the donation.

If what I see is real.

BTW all Colt markings are on the top flat of the barrel. Serial numbers will be on the bottom front of the frame.

Colt will run a history on the serial numbers if you send them a letter. The factory was burned by the Rebels during the war but they picked up a new series of numbers when they restarted production.

And the family needs to start wearing cotton gloves when they handle those pistols. I am assuming they are real, which means they are not just war surplus junk.

Antiques Road Show would go bananas over that set.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 07-26-2016 at 01:40 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I just looked up the 27th Mich Inf roster. It was a volunteer group mustered 1863-65. Their wasn't a "F. Myers" listed. There was a Frederick Meyers though and he was commissioned as a Captain when the 27th was disbanded.

I agree with Kyrat, handle with care and get them to a place that can verify their authenticity. They maybe fakes wot a couple hundred or real that could be worth a couple hundred thousand.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Gotta go to work. I'll make some calls today and see what I can find out from my daughter.

The close-up of the cylinder looks like it was chewed up some how but other than that they look really good.

Waiting to hear what the verdict is

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz123 View Post
    The close-up of the cylinder looks like it was chewed up some how but other than that they look really good.

Waiting to hear what the verdict is
    Ditto.........