Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7 things to look at before buying a survival knife

Default 7 things to look at before buying a survival knife

Hi, I made a quick video on things to consider when buying a Survival/bushcraft knife.

Any feed back or criticism is welcomed, as I would love to improve my videos/skills knowledge.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Seems like good common sense advice.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Nice job...thanks for posting.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Nothing I disagree with there. Good basic info that will serve many well who are just getting into the outdoors.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Thanks for posting. Nice to watch a non-commercial knife video. No best knife just what to look for to get the best one for yourself. Cool.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Yes. A knife isn't just a knife like any other. One isn't just like another. Just like different tools - pliers, screwdriver, hammer - a pile of knives aren't all the same just because they're all knives; 5 knives can all be very different from each other. Different tools for different jobs, despite any flexibility or overlap of capability.

Likewise, as with any other tool, the material and craftsmanship cannot be assumed. Shouldn't do the 'walmart' thing that has become like a disease these days - "Just bring it back if it isn't right". Don't have time to always be "bringing it back". Know what you're looking at, and look for what you should be looking for.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTree View Post
    Yes. A knife isn't just a knife like any other. One isn't just like another. Just like different tools - pliers, screwdriver, hammer - a pile of knives aren't all the same just because they're all knives; 5 knives can all be very different from each other. Different tools for different jobs, despite any flexibility or overlap of capability.

Likewise, as with any other tool, the material and craftsmanship cannot be assumed. Shouldn't do the 'walmart' thing that has become like a disease these days - "Just bring it back if it isn't right". Don't have time to always be "bringing it back". Know what you're looking at, and look for what you should be looking for.
    Right... No returning a knife when you're deep in the wilderness!

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by walks.in2.trees View Post
    Right... No returning a knife when you're deep in the wilderness!

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
    I feel the same way about all my gear. I do not care what the warranty is on any product I purchase. They can promise me the world and I pay no attention, because when I need my gear I want it to work every time not just the times it is convenient under the limited lifetime warranty or during the first year after my purchase.

Many of the "modern" knife companies have not been around long enough for me to consider their products long term gear. I have scars from pocket knife cuts that are older than some of these companies.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

thank you so much guys, Yeah no I didnt not want to advertise a brand nor do I ever really want to do that, I just wanted to point out the things to look out for... I dont see a need to punt this brand or that brand, rather state and show what types of things you do with the knife and why you need to consider certain things when buying it.

There is no one knife or one tool to cover all aspects, but there many great knives out there that are reasonably good at all things..
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Say Heah, Good Job, Your doing it. ,, .

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Banned

Job well done, elementary and basic.

Should you expand (looking for feedback/input) perhaps you should mention that most Military Survival Knives have quillons, as stabbing is emphasized. Yet most Bushcraft Knives have heavier full tangs, as batoning is emphasized.

I thought quillions were more than gazillions, which is slightly more than bazillions.

Banned

Hand-guard thing a ma bob's.
    " Quillon: The actual definition of this term has evolved over the years, but in modern usage, it generally is used to mean the protrusions that stop your fingers from sliding forward onto the blade. This is sometimes separated into front quillons and rear quillons to mean either the protrusion stopping the hand from going into the blade or off the heel of the handle"

Link: https://www.knife-depot.com/blog/ana...t-should-know/

I was told there would be no maff......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned

Sorry hunter63, is that Mr Angry Face or no Math? I'm new, so when someone asks for my opinion, I may just be foolhardy enough to respond.

Hand-guard thing a ma bob. Well, why didn't you say that? Oh, wait. I guess you did.

Banned

Did I mention that I had a little "Old Skool" ancient knowledge? Perhaps there is a translation barrier? Might I suggest that I was experiencing things that didn't make it to reality TV before it was considered interesting? I'll only ask that Y'all put into perspective time and place for my most candid of responses. But I shall not throw up (regurgitate} that I consider common knowledge. So I shall task Y'all with redirecting my answers into a doctrine that we can share.

What he said....I think.

M118LR, the guys are just funning around.
    Your info taught me something new.
    Thanks.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    M118LR, the guys are just funning around.
    Your info taught me something new.
    Thanks.
    Just a different perspective. Hope I can do the same in the future. Different experiences make for different outlooks, I am still learning how things are different in the civilian world.
    Last edited by M118LR; 08-27-2016 at 09:29 AM. Reason: clarity.