Thread: Never Enough Cordage :)

Default Never Enough Cordage :)

Hello all,

I've been collecting camping/hiking gear for several years, go on frequent dayhikes with my husband, and rare overnight car camping trips (which I wish we could do a lot more of and am working on changing). I've been watching youtube videos for about a year now on various survival/bushcraft/hiking topics and have enjoyed watching the Alone TV Series, and now the "Homestead Rescue".

I just recently put together a 72 hour bag for myself and my husband. God bless his minimalist "nothing's going to happen" soft heart, he doesn't know it and has no interest whatsoever in such a bag. Though I won't even try to convince him to carry a get home bag in his trunk, I created a bag for him so if, God forbid, we had to leave home temporarily there's something already packed for him - so I guess it's an undercover BOB I had a recent "victory" in convincing him to carry a Sawyer Mini filter in his dayhike bag when he goes out without me, but if he had it his way he wouldn't even carry that very light, minimal bag. Whether consciously, or I think more unconsciously, he defers to me to feed and otherwise take care of necessities for both of us when we are hiking together.

I am the prepared mind of the two of us (no children, 3 cats). He is in denial of anything serious happening based on our history so far (which we personally have been amazingly lucky/blessed over the years since living in our current neighborhood), but we've had many close calls in the area. New Jerseyans by birth (not by choice at this point in our lives), big storms (like Sandy), occasional terrible winters (like a few years ago), and so much national unrest (my parents' families were/are all from from NYC and I was a "close-to-home" witness of the horrible attacks of 9-11) that I go through stages of being really concerned.

It's a real challenge when my outlook is significantly different than his but recently I have begun doing some "under the radar", preps, which I tend to disguise as "outdoor recreational hobby" purchases. Hubby knows and accepts that I am a collector of stuff, so between that and a small bank account of my own I've been able to begin some minimal preps.

Besides creating 72 hour bags, I recently began an emergency food storage program, which lives under our bed (!!), and I have begun to buy bottled water which sits surreptitiously in our basement. I love cordage and practicing tying knots, and I also like using big SAT words
    Last edited by NJHeart2Heart; 07-21-2016 at 07:19 PM.

I see you made it over here to the intro section.......that was a good intro.
    Many more people will see this and say Hello and Welcome.

Sounds like you have a good start....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Senior Member Pennsylvania Mike's Avatar

Hello and welcome from Virginia.

Welcome home.

Thanks hunter63. I'm an experienced forum participant in other groups, but yeah.. kinda jumped in too deep and too cold on this one before anyone knew me.. Survival is new to me, and I should have given myself time to ingratiate myself to the members before throwing out my biggest "issue" :P Enjoying reading up and looking forward to contributing in time

Just to clarify - despite our vast difference of perspective over preparedness and my detailed descriptions of the frustrations I have with that, I love my husband and he is my best friend As his best friend I choose to look beyond that and do what I can to look after both of us while praying that nothing serious actually happens to convince him of my wisdom!

Hello and welcome.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by NJHeart2Heart View Post
    Just to clarify - despite our vast difference of perspective over preparedness and my detailed descriptions of the frustrations I have with that, I love my husband and he is my best friend As his best friend I choose to look beyond that and do what I can to look after both of us while praying that nothing serious actually happens to convince him of my wisdom!

Actually I do believe that the original BOB was called "Mom's Purse"....
    "Honey do you have aspirins?" .....Sure here, ya go......
    "How about snacks".....Cliff bar?....Bottle of water?.....Oh thanks.....
    "Glock 19?"......With or with out optics.....?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Actually I do believe that the original BOB was called "Mom's Purse"....
    "Honey do you have aspirins?" .....Sure here, ya go......
    "How about snacks".....Cliff bar?....Bottle of water?.....Oh thanks.....
    "Glock 19?"......With or with out optics.....?
    hehe Sure enough.. In my regular tote bag that sits with me at work or in the car (I have a very small, light purse that I shop or walk with), I have the "in case of everything" bag.. It has pretty much ANYTHING I need for any minor situation.. including the worlds tiniest crochet hook for correcting pulled clothing threads.

To this day I still carry a safety pin and bobbie pin in my wallet.....Thanks, Mom.....

NJ,
    Welcome to the forum. Looks like you are doing well here. I am glad you found us.