Thread: Poor Summer so Far

Default Poor Summer so Far

Another rainy day in the neighborhood. I hear the news of heat in the US and around the world, but in 16 years, we've only had one other lousy summer to compare to this. Mid 60's and rain today. It's been a cool, wet summer.

Our dock a few weeks ago was just about covered with water. Since our arrival, our lake has never been higher. I have a street sign at the end of the dock to greet that rare guest inbound on the float plane. That sign reads "BUSES ONLY" and all that was visible was BUSES.

If anybody would care to read my book, there's a free Amazon download this weekend. Saturday and Sunday July 23 and 24.

At least with all the local rain, we haven't had any fire threat and our water pump which does double duty with fire suppression and garden watering has only been used once to water the garden this year. Crazy.
    Last edited by ronjnk; 07-21-2016 at 12:13 AM.
    Off Grid and Free-My Path to the Wilderness Available on Amazon www.inthewilderness.net

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Yea we are having a really wet year up here too. Just went and did some recon today to see if we will be able to fit under the bridge with our float for the regatta this weekend. Nope, we are going to be too tall unless they open the flood gates, which they never do. Luckily we have an alternate put in location on the other side of that low bridge. But it isn't as handy.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

So that's where our wet weather has been coming from. You can stop sending it our way any time now. Be safe on the water this weekend.
    Off Grid and Free-My Path to the Wilderness Available on Amazon www.inthewilderness.net

They opened to flood gates yesterday but still they postponed it until next Sunday. Dang, I had plans for that day, but have to get Boaty McFloat Face into the regatta. Here are some pictures of the fun, crazy regatta if you are interested.
    http://goldendaysregatta.com/

What is your book called and what's it about?

Pssssst. Check his signature.

Lol oh yea.

Thanks Rick. And here I was thinking everybody on the board knew who I was.

1stimestar The Regatta looks like a lot of fun. I hope the weather is perfect for you when it comes time to launch the float.

The title of my book is indeed in my signature. If somebody does a search of the book on Amazon, you'll see a print and ebook version. This weekend that ebook should be free.

What is the book about? I've been off-grid for 36 years. Homesteaded in Maine for 20 years and now my wife and I live alone on a remote lake in the Canadian wilderness for the last 16 years. Float plane is the only access and we generally don't see another human for 6 months at a time. I've been blessed to have winter thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail, bicycled across the United States, survived forest fires, the touch of a bear and more. It's a free book so you probably can't go wrong checking it out. Thanks!

I should add... another rainy, damp afternoon here. Deep Sigh.

We have been in drought this summer....
    BUT big thunder storms coming in a hour or so tonight......or so sayth our weather guy John "Mayhem" Malan TMJ4 out of Milwaukee......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Will that download be available on amazon.ca too? I don't have kindle, but I'm pretty sure I can get an app on my phone, and it sounds like an interesting read.

Hi Tundrabagger.

This is my first experience with a free download and it is all orchestrated by my publisher. I'm under the assumption it is worldwide. The book has sold as far as Norway and Australia and I would hope everybody has the opportunity to download it. You can try Amazon Canada. If that doesn't work, give the US side a shot. If all fails, please let me know. Thank you for the interest. Ron

Got it! the promo is running on the canadian site as well...and apparently you CAN get a free cellphone app.

Apparently there are bears outside.

Tundrabadger... Awesome. Thanks for confirming the Canadian download.

Now about those bears... there are a few more stories in there for you. Don't be scared. You're totally safe.

Oh good...I mean, I have work in the morning, so there's a limit to how long I can hide in here.