Thread: Food storage issue... Need your help.

Default Food storage issue... Need your help.

Ok I saw an ad for Wise and then googled it and saw other companies.... This is an open ended questionnaire,

Have you purchased bulk Freeze dried?

Do you have a preference for Manufacture?

What works for you for shelf stable food?

What do you like in preference in meals?

Pasta Rice?

What are you currently storing?

and do you store dog food?

Please review this LINK
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I really think you could put up some regular food that will keep a whole lot cheaper! My dogs have always eaten what I do so yes.

Do you want to store a years food and eat it 10 years from now or are you thinking more of a 72 hour setup?

Wise foods is to salty . Mountain House is ok . For what I buy in long term storage foods I prefer Augason foods . That said I mostly do my on food storage and very little freeze dried stuff.

I also use Augason Farms stuff, but I have mostly vegetables, and all of the staples like flour, sugar, salt, powdered milk, etc. I do not like the freeze dried meals so much, but the staples are what is going to be hard to get. I figure with all of the staples, I can figure out how to make a meal.

Well this is interesting to me as Augason appears unremarkable... but has merit and value.

Are there any others?
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Looking at the Augason Farms products appears to be both bulk cans of one thing ...........and multi serving pails of complete kits.
    http://www.augasonfarms.com/Food-Sup...c-078716200953

On the bulk stuff ......Like dried peppers...113 serving in a can for a year.
    What do you do once you open the can?
    http://www.samsclub.com/sams/augason...prod1620354.ip

I keep a couple of buckets of Mountain Home freeze dried stuff......and a pretty complete pantry that we are using all the time.
    Last edited by hunter63; 07-21-2016 at 09:51 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Looking at the Augason Farms products appears to be both bulk cans of one thing ...........and multi serving pails of complete kits.

I keep a couple of buckets of Mountain Home freeze dried stuff......and a pretty complete pantry that we are using all the time.
    What sets the buckets apart....

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    What sets the buckets apart....
    Individual servings.....Open the bucket, take out what you need,.....close the bucket.

https://www.thereadystore.com/mounta...ortment-bucket
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I keep a couple of buckets of Mountain Home freeze dried stuff......and a pretty complete pantry that we are using all the time.[/QUOTE]

Tupperware, it works! Cooking meals everyday a #10 can goes fairly quick.

I guess I'm from the ol' geezer school, I store plain old long storing ingredients and combine them to cook my own meals. That way I know whats IN them plus its cheaper. Mylar, oxygen absorbers and pails for grains, beans, salt & sugar or honey (good 30 years); home canned meats, fruits & veggies take care of the rest. Just had some 10-year canned pickled eggs - tasty but next time I'll leave out the dill - it got pretty strong. I only can mild cheeses as they also get sharper with time. My 10 yr mild cheddar is now sharp, but tasty - Like I said, old school. And frugal.

We have a garden and I can most of my food. Including meats that go on sell. I try to buy grass fed meats when I can find it. I do have mountain house and Augason farms freeze dried foods. They are great for soups and stews. I dehydrate my own foods as well as make jerky. I buy flour on sell and put in freezer for a week and then remove and set on table to dry out. Then I oven can it. Keeps forever that way. I buy sugar and pack that in mylar bags in a 6 gal. bucket. Do same with rice. I also have several of the food 4 patriots packs. These are the 72 hour foods that I get when they give them away for only the shipping cost. Great for putting in car for just in case with the BOB. I also can my own water. It will keep forever that way. Although this is just for drinking and I cannot store a lot of it this way. The freeze dried foods will come in handy if the garden does not pan out on any given year and yes we have had that to happen. So that is our back up foods.

i have wise foods.but because of what i learned recently.i suggest staying away from it.
    Wise Food Storage Turns Over Purchase Records To Government As Part Of Shocking Class-Action Lawsuit

http://www.thedailysheeple.com/wise....lawsuit_032019
    Preparation through education is less costly than learning through tragedy.

Got another source? That link says "Nothing found...."
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

If you always do what you've always done...
    You'll always get what you've always gotten.

No matter where you go...
    there you are.

$$$$ and requires electricity.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Quote Originally Posted by pete lynch View Post
    Got another source? That link says "Nothing found...."
    try these .in which one speaks of flooding and prices.
    http://www.thedailysheeple.com/it-ha...ars-end_022014
    http://www.thedailysheeple.com/wise-...lawsuit_032019
    Preparation through education is less costly than learning through tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by jimLE View Post
    Thanks. I got a "free" sample of Wise food once and thought they sent me a bag of salt with some rice to prevent the salt from caking. Yech!
    Then I had to tell the phone salesman to quit trying to sell me their crappy product with scare tactics. I unsubscribed to their emails several times but still see them in my spam folder. They are the worst.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Yeah, they were pretty heavy in salt, that's for sure. I made a pot of their chili and buzzards started circling. I knew something was up.

We usually get kitchen equipment at *********WHERE YOU CAN STORE YOUR SPAM********* Like, the shelves and freezers, for example.
    Their prices are pretty decent and the customer service manages to solve any problems really fast.
    We don't even use other services; we can buy everything we need there.
    Last edited by Kilter; 06-17-2019 at 10:11 AM.

It took a bulldozer to wedge that post into a food storage thread, Kilter. There was nothing subtle about that AT ALL.