Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small pressure cooker for camping

Default Small pressure cooker for camping

All the talk about pressure canners lately sparked a question. Somewhere I read or heard about a small pressure cooker for camping. The advantages are quicker cook times, reduced fuel usage, retained nutrition and there are probably others. Any thoughts on this?
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Banned
    Blog Entries

I bought some small pressure cookers for base camp. Works fine. I wish they would make a 2 quart size.

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    All the talk about pressure canners lately sparked a question. Somewhere I read or heard about a small pressure cooker for camping. The advantages are quicker cook times, reduced fuel usage, retained nutrition and there are probably others. Any thoughts on this?

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I saw a participant on the TV show Ultimate Survival Alaska using one that looked pretty small. Might be a good idea.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Blog Entries

Chuckle. I can see the headlines now...

"Radical Alaskan Arrested. Pressure Cookers and Arsenal of Weapons Discovered."
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

thanks for the replies. It may have been the alaskan show where I saw the pressure cooker. I've googles small pressure cookers and there seems to be small models available. I wonder about the feasibility of using one over a wood fire.

Ken, I thought all alaskans were radical by nature. LOL
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Banned
    Blog Entries

I fully expect that this WILL come at some point in the next 5 or 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Chuckle. I can see the headlines now...

"Radical Alaskan Arrested. Pressure Cookers and Arsenal of Weapons Discovered."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    I fully expect that this WILL come at some point in the next 5 or 10 years.
    You gonna' make me take the Alaska Bar Exam?
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

here's a sight I came across with small pressure cookers.

http://www.eastwestusastore.com/prod...s-119-111.html

Banned
    Blog Entries

Ten-Thousand thank you, Those are great prices, I will order the two liter stainless steel. (Rep point sent)

here's a sight I came across with small pressure cookers.

http://www.eastwestusastore.com/prod...s-119-111.html

Randy - GSI also makes pressure cookers for the traile. They come in a 2.7 liter and 5.7 liter size. I've never used one so I can't tell you anything about their use.

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

thanks Rick, I noticed the gsi pressure cooker on one of my google searches. Wish I knew more about the whole concept. The pressure cooker weighs a good amount but the trade off may be in the fuel consumption.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I wonder if anyone makes one out of titanium.......???

Oh...you want titanium.....yeah, you can have that too if you have the gold. Way too rich for my blood but Kuhn Rikon makes them.

http://us.kuhnrikon.com/us/en/produc...5-98c528a3003d

Randy - I'm not sure what you mean by "know more about the whole concept" so I'll give you my understanding of it. Increasing the pressure inside an enclosed vessel increases the temperature. I know you know that. You are actually creating high pressure steam inside the cooker. That steam is what cooks the food. And since you are cooking with steam all the way through the food the food stays moist. About the only thing that cooks as fast is a microwave. However, it won't cook large amounts of food as quickly as a pressure cooker will. So your trade off of fuel to vessel weight is probably correct.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I understand that aspect of how a pressure cooker works. The concept I'm referring to is the feasibility of carrying a heavy piece of equipment like a pressure cooker in a BOB. Maybe the titanium model would be considerably lighter in weight.

Find a rock that weighs the same, put it your pack....oh, you know the rest.

that's a awful bunch of rock soup, to rich for my blood.

If I get a opportunity this year at trapping camp, I'll take a pressure cooker rather than a frying pan. The muskrat will cook up tender in a pressure cooker. I can still cook my banique and bacon on sticks.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Also at high altitude it is the only way to get water to boil.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Randy - I'm not sure what you mean by "know more about the whole concept" so I'll give you my understanding of it. Increasing the pressure inside an enclosed vessel increases the temperature. I know you know that. You are actually creating high pressure steam inside the cooker. That steam is what cooks the food. And since you are cooking with steam all the way through the food the food stays moist. About the only thing that cooks as fast is a microwave. However, it won't cook large amounts of food as quickly as a pressure cooker will. So your trade off of fuel to vessel weight is probably correct.

A 5.7 liter pressure cooker is I believe equivalent to a 6 quart pressure cooker (the standard size), and would be big enough to make soups, stews, larger amounts of beans, etc. The 2.7 liter model would be half that size, obviously, and you'd have to be careful about making foods that expand during cooking such as dried beans and legumes (garbanzos, for example), dried grains (wheat, barley, rice, etc.) and while you COULD make them in the smaller unit, you'd have to be very careful to do smaller amounts both because of the expansion issue and the tendency to foam (which can block the pressure release valve).

If I get a opportunity this year at trapping camp, I'll take a pressure cooker rather than a frying pan. The muskrat will cook up tender in a pressure cooker. I can still cook my banique and bacon on sticks.
    Randy, no need to do that. You can use a pressure cooker with the lid off, just as if it were a saucepan or a skillet. No need to lose that delicious bacon fat in the fire (not sure what a banique is). It can be used to flavor beans, peas, add flavor to stew, make hash, or if you have meat that isn't tough and doesn't have to be "stewed", animal based fats make for GREAT crispy fried foods. Chicken fried steak cooked in chicken fat is not only crispy, but absolutely divine (as are potato wedges cooked in chicken and duck fat), bacon grease would produce similarly delicious results.

banique is french for bannock, LOL.