Thread: How much money?

Default How much money?

Do y'all keep some cash in your bag? or in your vehicle or do you just rely on having money on your person all the time? And if you do keep a "stash" is any of it in coin? And how much do you keep and does it really stay there or do you find yourself using it for day to day expenses?

Just wondering....

I keep a hundred dollars in coin and small bills on me at all times, but I also keep $80 in twenties in my bag in case I get mugged. Smaller denominations are more useful than large. Let's say you got a small purchase, but all you got is a $100 dollar bill and the seller doesn't have a way of making change. Would you want to give someone a $100 dollar bill for an item that's $1.00 just because you really need the thing you're buying, but the dude can't make change? Heck no.

I keep a fair amount of small bills ($1's and $5's) in the safe for emergencies (no power = no change for places that may be open).

When I travel I keep what cash I carry in my wallet, but I do have a few rolls of quarters in my JIC bag.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

One of the easiest ways to save money is to put aside all your change and $1 bills every evening. It also allows you to have ready cash in small denominations and change should the need arise.

Not real big on change any longer....too heavy and many machines that might work all take bills now....Not much under a dollar.
    The big joke, when ever I post pic's and list of my old belt bag...is the 4 Quarters shown and listed.

That as pay phone cash, back then......and maybe a bottle of soda out of a machine...if you dumped the canoe and walked to a gas station dying of thirst.
    (Note, most all of my "carry Stuff" is a direct result of needing it at one time or another)

But yes, I carry cash, a little here , a little there, wallet, pocket, bags, vehicles,....and secret places.....Pssst $20 singles in the Tilly hat pocket...

Can't tell you how many times I have gotten a deal by having cash in my pocket(?)......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Cash is king for us. So yes, yes, yes. $$1, 5, 10, 20. Pockets, purse, hidden.
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

I've had a card get blocked, because the bank thought it was being used by thieves. What happened was I was at the NW flower and garden show, I bought some stuff from a Canadian merchant and some stuff from an Oregon merchant. The bank figured that I couldn't possibly be in those two places at the same time, so they blocked my card. Fortunately, I had some cash because some merchants don't have card swipers. I got a pretty good deal at the show on a hand drill, because I had cash and the merchant needed change so they gave me a discount. You also get a price break at most gas stations if you pay with cash. I also like to think that if my money is in my pocket I'm more aware of how I spend it, so I think there is still value in carrying cash and using it instead of swiping your card. That was an interesting question DSJohnson, do you have any reasons to carry cash?

I'm not much in the position but on principle, as much as I can justify putting aside. Money here being distinct from commodities of actual utility or intrinsic value. This principle goes for both. If there were some sum which exceeded any practical use but which you could still justify keeping aside, unspent and uninvested I suppose you might have other problems but that this isn't one.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I keep a little in the car. A twenty and some change for emergency gas, parking, and meters. Being that I work and go to school in downtown areas, being able to pay for parking is a must. Other than that, I keep a few pieces of paper behind my license for emergencies or "heckuva deals".
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Unexpected now-or-never deals are emergencies
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I am getting ready for a little trip, going through my gear, checking stuff. For a long time I have tried to keep "some" cash at hand just in case I had a need. I have been keeping two rolls of dollar coins, two rolls of quarters, some ones, some fives, and a few tens in a ziplock in my GH/JIC bag. I try real hard to have enough money in my pocket to not "have to" use any money out of my bag. As I was checking my stuff I was just curious. 40 years ago it was a big deal being able to "stash" a 20 dollar bill in my kit. Diapers and milk came first, but nowadays my budget is a lot different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear ya.....some where along the line the new kind of "dollars" came along....called "hunert dollars"......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

It'll take us about 40 gallons of gas, plus the Xterra's full tank, to get us and our gear to a spot in Southern Utah, assuming the commies don't blow up both the Lee's Ferry or the Glen Canyon bridges over the Colorado. Assuming that things are getting stupid and the gas stations raise their price to about $10 a gallon (which would be maybe a two- or three-day window before they shut down), I need $400 to get 'home' from 'home'.

I have ten $20's and twenty $10's in a ziploc baggie where it's safe and accessible. We've had the baggie un-opened for five years now. Everything else? We either have it or we'll use the VISA.