Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011

Arrow 2011

Did anyone read about the expected 2011 solar storm? the people in the cities are doomed. It was on Perfect Disasters.
    Last edited by Omid; 05-11-2008 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Omid View Post
    Did anyone read about the expected 2011 solar storm? the people in the cities are doomed. It was on Perfect Disasters.
    We were doomed when Y2K came around too. We were doomed when 9/11 happened. People have been trying to predict that crap forever. From the unwashed crazy old prophet in rags in the dark ages to the unwashed crazy old prophet in rags on the street corner in Manhattan.

But I'm being skeptical while uninformed. Since I haven't seen it, please enlighten me on why being in the city is so much more damning than being out in the wilds in this particular scenario?
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

well on Discovery Channel, it said that solar activity would disrupt the use of cellular phones, satellites, gps systems, etc. The people in cities, their water supplies, food supplies will be finished quickly. Electric transformers which provide electricity to everyone would burn out, making the use of generators necessary. However, they are good as long as the fuel lasts, which is probably not more then 3 days.

People on farms can go hunt food and cook it on a fire. People in the cities will just have to starve to death, if they don't die of diseases first. Plumbing in the city will become impossible, so forget using the toilet.

Communication would be extremely hard, and people in high rise buildings cannot use the elevator. Elderly and weak will die quickly. People would panic and it would be a problem. Most likely we will recover, but the people in he cities will most likely die if they are not prepared. Gang violence, murders, etc will also be a problem. Remember Katrina, with the pillaging and the stealing.

Banned
    Blog Entries

OMID, The storm will only kill humans younger than 21 years old. What are you worried about.

why hopeak, what about my family and friends. I am worried.

Banned
    Blog Entries

OMID, The storm will only kill humans younger than 21 years old. What are you worried about.

And the storm will make "OLD MEN" young and suave, and debonair......

Banned
    Blog Entries

why hopeak, what about my family and friends. I am worried.
    Don't worry we will be just fine, and there will be more food for those of us still here........

It was fiction Omid....fiction.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I hope so.

If you're worried about stuff like that, turn off the TV and stop going to the movies.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I hope so.
    Just remember man, it's not just the people in the cities. The gangs are mobile, and they're not stupid, not matter how much people make them out to be. when supplies start running out in the city, people will naturally start to move outwards. so it's only a matter of time before the people on the farms are in the same situation as those in the city.

However, I haven't seen the show, but still, from the education that I've recieved, I'm not really all that worried about it. I'm more concerned about my kid having to pay $20 a bottle for water to drink (in today's prices) and having to live in a UV protected dome because of the course the earth and humanity is on.

will we as a species recover? who knows. we can only try.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Sorry, But it is real, The same thing happened in like 1874. And it really fried the telegraph transmitting equipment all over the world. It will be bad, however we just don't know how it will effect modern electrical systems, computers, etc. But, it will be a big deal. Buy your Farm now the price will only go up.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 05-11-2008 at 08:30 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    Sorry, But it is real, The same thing happened in like 1874. And it really fried the telegraph transmitting equipment all over the world. It will be bad, however we just don't know how it will effect modern electrical systems, computers, etc.
    I wonder If I will finally get a day off work?

Banned
    Blog Entries

I thought we delt with this in EMP (ElectoMagnatic Pulse Thingie's)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Reeves View Post
    I wonder If I will finally get a day off work?
    Everyone may be unemployed for 3 to 5 years.

We all are going to die sometime. If we always live our lives in fear of dying we haven't really lived at all- we just were surviving- not thriving. Life is for thriving. Fill your days not with fear- but with passion. Enjoy every moment with your families and friends, because in all actuallity you or one of them could die today. Don't fear the apocalypse....the drunk driver rounding the corner right now is much more dangerous!
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    Everyone may be unemployed for 3 to 5 years.
    I hope not. I was thinking something more along the lines of some Hollywood bimbos getting an extra crispy tan and another excuse for higher gas prices or something.

There is a thread on this already. It's nothing new. Just part of the solar cycle:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...t=solar+flares
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Default Phoo phoraahh..

The scientists that make these predictions work on grant money for the most part... That includes the global warming scientists.. Somehow, they have to justify their study and the money they are getting... so they come up with these predictions. 'nuff said?

Someday, this will make a good hollywood movie..

For the short term roving gangs are not a problem.
    They tend to loot useful things like HDTV's etc... , then look for the government teat for their other non essentials like food ,water ,shelter.
    I look to other out breaks were "civil unrest" was involved like in NO or LA etc.
    Of course you don't drive though those areas and I don’t have to so...
    I should give me plenty of time to GMST.