Thread: Gold panning with the kids at a waterfall

Default Gold panning with the kids at a waterfall

We decided to take the kids to a waterfall over the weekend. I brought along my gold panning equipment and thought I'd show my daughter how to do a little panning. It's been so hot and muggy, anything not involving water would have had the kids miserable. Anyways, I think the video turned out alright. What do y'all think?
    https://youtu.be/TBbE7sc_-Lc

Facebook: Zach Byrd Adventure Hour

Yeah, that's what I miss about the Southeast - waterfalls. Colorado has them (and some pretty breathtaking ones!) but you have to travel a lot more to get to them. Where was that one?
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post
    Yeah, that's what I miss about the Southeast - waterfalls. Colorado has them (and some pretty breathtaking ones!) but you have to travel a lot more to get to them. Where was that one?
    It's in Georgia in Paulding Co.

I find panning for coppers best in parking lots but it's hard to argue with success!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I find panning for coppers best in parking lots but it's hard to argue with success!
    Haha

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

What a lovely, sweet video. Your babies are precious.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    What a lovely, sweet video. Your babies are precious.
    Thanks so much!

Thanks for taking us along.......Kids remember this stuff forever.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Thanks for taking us along.......Kids remember this stuff forever.
    No problem. Thanks for checking it out.

When we were in Chimmney Top N.C. several years ago one of our grandchildren picked up sand and pebbles from the river and we found some gold flakes in it. I've wanted to go back and actually pan the area.

Bill
    NRA Life Patron Member
    Southern Indiana Rifle and Pistol Club
    K9GDG

Every time an older person dies, its like burning a full set of encyclopedias that will never be published again. So, if you ever want to learn more of anything, just find a old tradesman and hang out with him and then when he passes on, not the full set will burn, you'll have parts of it to pass on to others.

There is gold in the Southeast. I've panned in Alabama, Georgia, and North Carolina and found dust. I've had more luck with rock ore. I had an acquaintance who had a big chunk of rock crystal with a cable of gold wire running through it as big as a person's thumb. He said it came from the Ashland, Alabama, but rock hounds and anglers have something in common, if you know what I mean....
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post
    There is gold in the Southeast. I've panned in Alabama, Georgia, and North Carolina and found dust. I've had more luck with rock ore. I had an acquaintance who had a big chunk of rock crystal with a cable of gold wire running through it as big as a person's thumb. He said it came from the Ashland, Alabama, but rock hounds and anglers have something in common, if you know what I mean....
    Oh I definitely know what you mean. I'm both of those types haha.

I've found dust in southern, western and yes, even central Indiana!

Dust in Central Indiana? That's a bit surprising. I thought there was nothing but corn there.

I remember digging and panning for gold in the Swift River? of Western Maine. My friend was ecstatic that day. He carefully deposited both microscopic specks in his vial and went home a gold miner. Being the generous guy that I am, I declined to take my 50% cut.
    Off Grid and Free-My Path to the Wilderness Available on Amazon www.inthewilderness.net

You bet. I think the correct sizing is "flour" to "coarse". There are several places, mostly southern and western Indiana where gold is found. But I have found it on the Wildcat Creek in Central Indiana. You can also find diamonds and other gems. I've encountered a lot of dredgers on the creeks. Both highbank and floating dredgers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You bet. I think the correct sizing is "flour" to "coarse". There are several places, mostly southern and western Indiana where gold is found. But I have found it on the Wildcat Creek in Central Indiana. You can also find diamonds and other gems. I've encountered a lot of dredgers on the creeks. Both highbank and floating dredgers.
    I've never ran into a dredger here in Georgia, which is weird considering Georgia used to be known for gold years and years ago. As a matter of fact I believe one of the first ever gold rushes was in Georgia. But I've read so many books I could be mixing that up with something else.

Last time I was in Hiawassee (about 10 years ago) there was a dredger still operating - it was a show piece at one of the tourist mines. There was also dredgers in south Georgia pulling rare earth containing sands out of the dunes.

Let's make sure we're talking about the same thing. This is a gold dredge.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

This is a highbanker.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Yep. I know what a dredge is. They had sluices, too.