Thread: Hello and what is this?

Question Hello and what is this?

Hi, it's my first post so I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section.

So I am up in Wisconsin for 8 weeks as staff at camp Napowan. So my friend gives me a leaf and says eat it, it tastes like an apple. I doubted him but I gave it a taste anyways (it did actually taste like an apple) It looked a lot like a rocketship, so it has a skinny oval shape with two triangle-ish things on the bottom of the leaf. I don't know if links are allowed here, and I cant upload the image for some reason so here's an imgur link. Sorry Moderator if I am breaking the rules by posting this: im gur dot com slash TZU4xUn
    (Remove spaces, replace dot with . and slash with /)
    Last edited by Shootibgcharlie8; 07-10-2016 at 07:49 PM. Reason: First spelling error

1st - Welcome to the forum.
    2nd - The software will not allow you to post links until you have 10 posts.
    3rd - NEVER EAT A PLANT OR PART OF A PLANT UNLESS YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT IT IS. YOU MAY NOT BE SO LUCKY AS TO BE ABLE TO ASK WHAT I ATE NEXT TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Ok, I know I broke 2 big rules, but I did trust him as he went through wilderness survival training 2 months ago so I had trust in him that he knew what it was and that it was safe. I am sorry for going around your rule for no links, but the image uploader wasn't working on my phone so I had to put a link in so you could see the plant. So, do you have any clue about what it might be?

The picture you attempted to post looks like common sorrel, Rumex acetosa.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

And for those with more experience than me in plant ID, here's the picture he posted.

http://imgur.com/TZU4xUn
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Shootibgcharlie8 View Post
    Ok, I know I broke 2 big rules, but I did trust him as he went through wilderness survival training 2 months ago so I had trust in him that he knew what it was and that it was safe. I am sorry for going around your rule for no links, but the image uploader wasn't working on my phone so I had to put a link in so you could see the plant. So, do you have any clue about what it might be?
    It's not a rule about posting links - just part of the automated software.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Iim glad you are safe. I know you have confidence in your friend, that is cool he knows what is what. PLEASE be careful, some people are allergic to plants which others don't hardly notice after eating them, always start with one small bite......

.........Always save a piece to show the EMT's what you ate "this time"....(per Wife)
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Definitely one of the Rumex (dock, dock-sorrel) species or something very close to it. By the leaf alone I would nominate Rumex acetosella which are very common and widespread in North America as an invasive but I don't get too bent out of shape identifying members of this genus to species. They either taste good or are too bitter and that's as far as I usually take it.

Docks and true sorrels are a decent source of vitamins and an often pleasant tart flavor but be careful of eating too much of them or of eating them often. They contain oxalates that are somewhat toxic, are cumulative and will eventually cause stones.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.