Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suckered in bySportsmans Guide, again

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Suckered in bySportsmans Guide, again

I fell for it again.

I had a few things in the cart at SG and they sent me an e-mail for free shipping @$49.

My cart was $35.

That means that I can pay the $9 shipping fee or spend another $15 on merchandise and the actual cost will be only $5.

I will soon be the proud owner of an Italian surplus cotton canvas rucksack, used but in like new condition, which I never anticipated needing!

If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

They always have stuff we never knew we needed. Good thing their marketing department is keeping an eye out for us.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

They won't send me half the stuff in their catalog. They waste postage most of the time. You'd think their marketing would think not to send the ammo edition to states they won't ship to? LOL.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

LOL....and you put it in "That special place" right next to the last 2 you bought......

Still waiting on more Wahoo Killer knives for that other place....They will e-mail me when they are back in stock.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    They won't send me half the stuff in their catalog. They waste postage most of the time. You'd think their marketing would think not to send the ammo edition to states they won't ship to? LOL.
    That is not marketing Lowkey.

It is simply a reminder that you should be more politically active!

Yeah, sportsmans guide got me last week too. I got two german cook sets for $18. Tried one set out, works pretty good and I like it a lot actually. I also got the 18x18 teepee tent which is being sent back. The wise people in China that make the tent think it is a good idea to wrap the metal poles with sharp ends and no protection inside the tent. I opened the box and the pole were sticking through the tent and the bag it came in! Come to find out, all the teepee tents are sent with the pole in it that way. I'm sending it back for a refund and ordered a brand new 10x17 coleman from elsewhere. I hope to have the new coleman in by weeks end.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

If anyone ever deserved a 10'x17' tent it is YOU!

Those kids are not getting any smaller and I suspect that you will get your money's worth out of it in just a few seasons.

Plus, it is really nice to be able to stand up in your tent!

My goodies arrived today. I am going to recommend a bag, something I seldom do. This bag was cheap, rugged as nails, had all its fasteners, D-rings and straps and it is BIG. The shoulder straps are not padded. This is replacing a smaller bag I have in the truck kit. If you need a good simple rucksack with no frills this is a good buy for $14.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...used?a=2044976

And if you find another $35 worth of junk you want you can get free shipping!

That does look like a good deal. Good review too, btw.

I already have ALICE packs in small, medium, and large which have been pretty good taking care of my needs. Otherwise I would definitely be looking at picking this up as well. Plus, I just scored a once used 40 liter Kelty pack on E-bay for $31 that originally went for more than $150. I also got a "family" daypack last month for family outings. An Arc'teryx 30 liter that was a display model on clearance for 80% off that fits both me and Mrs. Tot. Finding something that fits both of us was kinda difficult to find.

I am sure in the near future, I will be making another SG purchase. I am a sucker for milsurp stuff. I love the german cooksets I just got from them. Two sets for $18 and they are absolutely wonderful.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I do kind like that bag......and my need one about that size.
    Seems I had packed the air compressor, on my 4 wheeler.... in my old used for ever Musette bag....but had put it in a plastic bag as it was raining....in the spring.
    Got moldy....and will kill me to lose it after all these years........Hanging up on the shed, but looks bad.

Did score a couple of more r the Finish Gas Masks bags for $7 bucks each......they are just about the right size for a day bag...
    http://www.keepshooting.com/finnish-gas-mask-bag.html

This Italian bag is as big as a medium ALICE and the side pockets are bigger than the alice pockets. You could easily get a GI canteen with stove in the pockets. Probably fit a two liter bottle.

It would be real easy to load the bag beyond the capacity of the straps since they are not padded in any way.

Smells like surplus too! I have stinked up the living room bit time.

As I said, this one is going into the vehicle. It should fit nicely on the deer trolley if I ever have to abandon the car on the side of the road and walk home. I can sit it right up there on top of the little action packer.

Gotta' have your levels! Trolley for when the car will not proceed, pack for when the trolley will not go any farther.

Of course I myself am good for about 200 yards before I have to sit down, make camp and take a nap!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 07-16-2016 at 03:04 AM.

I certainly hope that if anything bad ever happens the roaming hordes consist of 60+ year old men that are in equally bad shape. Like Kyrat, when I reach that 200 yard mark I can be assured that those chasing me are equally exhausted and must make camp as well. It will be quite a relief to look across the field the next morning and watch them roll around on the ground and help each other up as I am trying to stand erect. I think in all fairness I would probably need to hold up a sign to let them know what time I am starting off on the next 200 yard leg. 1:00 p.m. seems right. I won't have to get up too early. I will have had lunch for the "run" and it won't be in the heat of the day.

Yeah, kinda a sloooow Bug Out.....LOL.

Many time I look at thiss stuff and think, "Yeah man I really need one of these......"
    Then I think "For what?"....
    Then I think, "Oh what the heck...it's "only $15 bucks, but I need another $35 to get the discount.....so what other stuff that I don't need can I add on so I can get the "Best deal"....

Then I have to find a place for it.......Next to the other 3 that I forgot about.......Oh, well.....

It's hard being a Geezer......

Used to be I kept a single serve packet of instant coffee in the get home bag.

Now I put the whole 10-pack in there.

It's going to take me several coffee stops to make it to the house.

Hey Hunter, can you boil water over a road flare? I've never tried.

Yeah, you can, but the cup looks funny on the bottom..... especially the plastic cups......

My Yahoo Killer Knives showed up, a couple of 3 in one hatches (for camper)...actually kinda handy, gave my other one away when I sold the older pop up....an kinda miss it...LOL
    Most likely the only hachet I would throw at game....

http://www.chkadels.com/3-IN-1-Multi...-Hatchet-28671

Got the Yugo cook kit, cup is plastic and has small crack....not sure I want to send it back of not (my attempt to get free shipping)

http://www.chkadels.com/Used-Yugosla...teen-Kit-31446

Still like the USGI canteen /cup/stove/ cover with little water purification tab pouch......much better......

So saw these on eBay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Vin...3D231994227759

Looks like the SG version.....same size?.....
    SG still out of stock....

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...bled+Deep+Link

The SG pack is much bigger and the outside pockets are on the outside corners rather than the sides.

The SG pack weighs about 3 pounds empty. The canvas is probably 15oz canvas. Looks like it would survive being drug behind a Jeep for a couple of miles.

I keep those 3 in 1 hatchets in the vehicles too. They serve a multitude of purposes and I use them for things I would not use a "good hatchet" to accomplish.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-22-2016 at 06:14 PM.

I think an intervention is in dire need. We'll call the F.A.R.T.s together...sooner or later and get you rid of the SG addiction...sometime.

OMG...FART ALERT ...........!!!!!!!

It's nice to see some one is concerned....
    But it sees that Sportsman's Guide isn't the problem...it's when they are out of stock...and you end up going some place else for the same product.... at a third more in price......

Of course if it wasn't for the catalogs that show up every other day.....we wouldn't even know we needed this stuff in the first place....I mean...like who knew???? .....Right?
    (who here doesn't have 2 dozen Wahoo Killer knives and 10 Finn gas mask bags....?)

So...who is bringing the bacon samitches and brewski's.....?
    Last edited by hunter63; 08-22-2016 at 08:42 PM.