Thread: 10 year Old Me

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default 10 year Old Me

My DIL started this, so blame her.

If when you were 10 you could have seen yourself today what would you think was awesome about your life?

What would disappoint you?

For me, I would have thought that owning sniper rifles from three or four countries was awesome beyond belief. There is also the big drawer filled with knives in the work room. Also that I own a full set of camping gear from three different centuries and that I have had a Jeep in the driveway most of the past 45 years. 10 year old me would be really stoked about that stuff!

I would probably not feel too great about the old, fat, bald and aching bones part. And I don't live in Australia on a sheep ranch like I planned.

Last edited by kyratshooter; 07-03-2016 at 08:36 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Hmmmm...well, I have dog. Would have liked that a whole bunch. I mean, i had dogs growing up, but this one is mine. I've got some cool knives, and a pretty great collection of books. So there's that.

Downside, I'm not a zoologist or a beekeeper, which I was pretty convinced I was going to wind up doing one of those two things. I also haven't written any novels. Not sure why I thought a zoologist/beekeeper would have time to write novels, but I did. Not sure how I would have felt about the glasses, I feel like I would have been unimpressed, although as an adult I think I look better with them.

I think my ten year old me would find it neat that I have a couple old cool guns. I fuss about building things in my shop and fool with knives. Fair to middlin trapper.

My ten year old me would have been disappointed that I left kentucky. All my ten year old me wanted was to run the woods and trap, hunt and wildcraft
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Actually got to make good on my playing mountain man/Davey Crockett adult style.......Having much better camping gear, more that a .22 rifle that belongs to me.

Wheels, was big time even back then.....still is....My own....

But the biggest thing is a feeling.... more of a "Been there done that" on a lot of stuff.....Still room to grow and improve.......LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

My 10 year old self was a pretty self-centered brat. Not sure anything I have now would impress. Maybe the pickup truck and the salt water fishing gear. I don't even have a cool boat, just a utilitarian pontoon craft suited to the lake (but I don't have to bail it out every rainstorm, big plus.) As for the decrepit balding guy with glasses, bad knees and bad back, maybe if my 10-year old self saw that, he'd be "impressed" enough to do some things differently in his work life to better take care of himself.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

I survived.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Hmmmm, ten years old and in the Fourth grade. I really can't remember much of anything about being that young and what I might do in the future.

Mainly, however, today I'm pleased with much of my life. Great wife, good career, been a few places and done a few things. Certainly a few disappointments along the way mixed in with some achievements but that is standard in all our lives.

But at ten years old ..... too many years ago to recall what I was thinking at the time.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

At ten years old, I'd barely begun to achieve sentience.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Blog Entries

My ten year old me would be pretty disappointed. I didn't marry Davy Jones from the Monkees, I don't own a Stud Farm in the Carmargue and breed horses and I only have one child (my ten year old me wanted at least 7) She would be impressed that I owned my own horse and I went to university oh and would be truly impressed that I'm going to Silverstone for the weekend to watch the Grand Prix, even back then I loved fast cars.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by walking tree
    At ten years old, I'd barely begun to achieve sentience.

You still wore a diaper?! Oh, wait. That's continence. Never mind.

I suppose that individuals are at various stages of awareness at age 10.

I was already running lose on the farms of the grand parents with Barlow knife and BB gun camping in the back yard and had the Boy Scout Handbook mostly memorized.

At 10 I was playing in the everglades with my BB gun.

I think he would think its pretty awesome that with the exception of swapping that BB gun for a bow or a 12 gauge, nothing has changed. Still running around in the glades and having a ball.

Just a bigger kid with better toys!

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    At 10 I was playing in the everglades with my BB gun.

I think he would think its pretty awesome that with the exception of swapping that BB gun for a bow or a 12 gauge, nothing has changed. Still running around in the glades and having a ball.

Just a bigger kid with better toys!
    That's kinda my thing, as well.....things haven't changed that much for me either, nor do I want them to.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I was just deprived. In a sense. Broken home, dysfunctional family. Wasn't intellectually or emotionally developed or socially adjusted at 10 compared to others at that age. At ten I was even behind maybe a 7 year old. And didn't have many opportunities to even know that lots of the world-out-there even existed. Dwelled in a very closed environment. So, many of you guys were way ahead of me in that respect.

Of course, adulthood is different...
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

This isn't about where we were at 10, but rather how the 10 year old "us" would think about where we ended up today.

Just to pick one thing.........

The 10 year old me would think that it was pretty cool that I retired from the military.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    The 10 year old me would think that it was pretty cool that I retired from the military.
    Not to mention the living underwater for 5-6 months at a time part!

Yeah, I think he would like that.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Okay, honestly, I think my 10 year old me would think it pretty cool that I ended up doing so much. My 10 year old me was pretty sheltered. For instance, when we went on vacation, we went straight to where we were going and rarely stopped along the way. I vowed early that, when I grew up, if I wanted to stop and look at a hole on the side of the road (there are some pretty impressive holes, even in the Southeast) that I would stop and look at the hole.

I think, maybe, my 10 year old me would be a little disappointed that my love for adventure and variety would have pulled me over to try out things like drinking (booze, that is) and some other things that I'm not going to review here. But, I'm afraid that there wouldn't be much disappointment even there because I was as much a psychopath then as I am now. My 10 year old me didn't feel things like disappointment, guilt, or embarrassment.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

My 10 year old me would have been truly upset that I married a girl and simply could not believe I'd live to be this ancient. He would by mighty upset that I no longer enjoy Valomilks. On the up side he would be impressed I have a pickup truck and guns. Had guns before the great canoe accident anyway.

If I saw me now at 10 years old, I would have not been able to wait on growing up. I have been very lucky!