Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teaching a class and no idea where to start

Psssst just don't tell them abut the water in the Lake
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Yea, some of this stuff we have to keep to ourselves or we will work ourselves into the redundancy pool.

Don't ever tell them about the water in the lake!

Or the bark. If they find out about the special bark and where we find that we are done for.

On a side note, have you noticed how when you google a wilderness based survival question google now sends you to this forum as the top two or three choices.

I was trying to verify some information for a post the other day and got sent, by Google, to one of my own old posts as a reference!

Of course I was correct, and if you don't believe it just ask me!

Plus it was on the internet so it has to be true.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 07-05-2016 at 06:34 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    Gang, since to object of this forum is "Wilderness Survival", I pretty convinced that it is safe to assume that is what she is talking about. She can correct me if I'm wrong, but that's why I recommended she start with the basics.
    While that is true, if she has never heard of the rule of 3's she might not want to make that her opening topic.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    While that is true, if she has never heard of the rule of 3's she might not want to make that her opening topic.
    Very true.

We take a base level of knowledge for granted when there are untold numbers of folk who have never laid a fire and put a match or lighter to it successfully.

When that is the case we can expect some study requirements and practice before they are capable of teaching the "rule of threes" and the "Five Cs" and proper gathering of the equipment and demonstration of the skills.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I was trying to verify some information for a post the other day and got sent, by Google, to one of my own old posts as a reference!

Of course I was correct, and if you don't believe it just ask me!

Plus it was on the internet so it has to be true.
    Well, that's it, I guess our mission is complete, the interweb now has the truth.......Gather up the boys and lets head back to the free land and live in harmony.......

I apologize I was not ignoring anyone we have had a heck of a time since moving into our new place with internet and other issues all weekend. then work was crazy this week. I am not sure how to check where there are PM's sorry.
    I like the idea that Lowkey mentioned. I guess I need you all to ask me questions that I might be able to answer you to help you all help me. (I know that sounded crazy)
    I like the idea of covering the basics of what to do in the situations of like

tornado (which in Texas we have alot of warnings)
    fire
    flash flood
    what to do if you find yourself in a submerged vehicle
    and then go up from there to things like what to do if you find yourself lost in the woods
    hurt in the woods and so forth
    we were told the second half of the year was going to be a self defense class taught by an actual instructor but looking at the schedule today I don't see it on there so this may actually be a full year class.

please tell me what I need to supply you all with for more info. I am keeping a folder of your suggestions to do further research on and come up with a game plan.

I thank you all for taking the time out of your days to help me.

Blessings

for the first three you may consider going to your local fire dept and see if they have anyone interested in speaking to your group

That is a good idea thank you.

With the info that you have provided and the topics you are considering - maybe go over building a 72 hours (or longer) emergency kit. That is actually the exact topic that I was searching for ideas in when I joined this forum over 8 years ago. There are tons of resources on the topic (this forum, http://www.redcross.org/, http://www.fema.gov/)
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

thank you I will look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Psssst just don't tell them abut the water in the Lake
    we need to keep the snipe hunt and snow snakes a secret too

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz123 View Post
    we need to keep the snipe hunt and snow snakes a secret too
    The stuff is reserved for the ancient guide group......the Fugrwhee's ....after years of practice and reflection......
    Always a future goal, though....

I just wanted to thank each of you for your help. There has been a very kind man messaging me and helping me. I hope to have an outline and some type of class topics put together this weekend with the research you all provided. You have all been very kind to guide me where I needed to go.
    Many Blessings.

Glad its working out for you. Good luck with your class.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

HI,
    I haven't read much of the replies, So sorry if there are duplication in answers.
    first off some background about me; I have been training to become a survival instructor for the past almost 2 years.
    And one of my tasks to complete my qualifications is to actually present a survival course, I have been on many.

What you need to do with this course is have a clear IDEA what senarious you want to teach them to survive, what type of terrain and for how long..

Most courses will likely cover a 3 day (or 72 hour period)
    you need to cover the following:
    the rules of 3.
    3 seconds with out Hope.
    3 min without air
    3 days with out water
    3 weeks with out food
    3 months with out human contact
    as these are all very important and these are the general rules for how long you could survive with out them

You need to cover;

how to find water, how to make water (solar stills, transportation,etc) purifying the water (making it safe to drink)
    Food- hunting,trapping, wild edibles- what is safe to to eat,what is not and the universal taste test- to determine what is safe if they unsure.
    Safety, (area dependent) what animals to avoid, how to spot game trails, how to set up a camp, how to make it safe...
    Hyperthomia(core body temp too low), and the effects of it, how to spot the effects, and the inverse of hyperthormia (core body temp too high)

Next you need to cover the Psychology, or the mental preparedness.. -not too panic,etc,

The next thing you need to cover are the 5c's of survival:
    1. Cutting Tool
    2. Cordage
    3. Container
    4.Cover
    5.Combustion

1. cutting tool..
    you need to cover knife safety, sharpening, and knife work- simple bush craft tasks, such as trap making and shelter building, and improvised cutting tools, weapons- spears and such.

2. Cordage- rope
    you need to explain why you need it, how to use it how to do simple knots for traps, etc etc.. also need to describe how to make it from natural materials if they do not have rope,

3.container
    Containers are important for water purification - boiling, cooking, collecting wild edibles.

4.cover
    One of the fastest killers in the wilderness is exposure to the elements,
    you need to discuss emergency shelters, the layering system to keep ones core body temperature regulated, etc. So Building shelters, natrual insulation (using leaves, grass,straw.) etc.etc

5. Combustion
    you need to teach them how to make fire , in as many methods as you properly can,
    from hand drill,bow drill,fire plough, fire steal, etc etc etc

The next thing you need to teach them is RESCUE
    how to make a signal fire, what signal fires look like (usually in 3's or in a triangle)
    Using signal mirrors, whistles..
    making themselves seen for rescue... run rescue drills.

Basic first aid.

Navigation
    using compass, the moon the stars the sun.. etc
    Last edited by Antonyraison; 07-25-2016 at 03:44 AM.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

A good resource is the SAS survival hand book. See if you can get one.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

thank you I will look into all of this.

good luck shout if you need anything more.