Thread: Chinese Goods from Ebay

Default Chinese Goods from Ebay

So I decided to buy a few items from China in order to see if they were worth purchasing, and before I spent any notable amount of money. After going through Ebay, I purchased six items with free shipping. This is the first time I have reviewed anything for the forum.

Paracord 100ft - $3.99
    Black Paracord 100 feet. It was ordinary parachord. Good quality. So generic there is nothing to report.

Two Survival Whistles - $0.78 ea.
    One is a black round key chain whistle. The second is flat and green key chain whistle. They are both loud with an audible sound. Both generic, no thrills.

Firestarter Keychain - $0.78
    A simple firestarter. Nothing to report. Haven't used it.

Green and white Parachord Bracelet - $0.99
    A generic green and white parachord bracelet. It fits my wrist well.

Black Parachord Bracelet - $0.99
    This is a black parachord braclet with a whistle in the clasp. I saw one from Coleman a few months ago that was $10. This is the same exact bracelt down to the whistle for 10 percent of the price. Of all of the $1.00 or less items, this was the best. I ended up giving it to one of my friends. She wears it whenever we go hiking.

Silver Lighter - $2.99
    This was an item I bought sometime ago, and can't find the purchase history for. I thought it was $2.99. It is a dolphin silver zippo style lighter. It works great. I have used to light cigars, cigarettes, fire places, camp fires. I have refilled the lighter twice now, and it has withstood the test of the last few months.

Final Conclusion:
    The cheap Chinese stuff on Ebay is generic, but well priced. If you are looking on certain, small items on budget, I would say go for it. If you do however have money to spend, it may be better to look elsewhere for more specialized stuff.
    Last edited by Adventure Wolf; 06-27-2016 at 09:07 PM.

Having been to China and seen some manufacturing facilities, I will say that they are dedicated to making sure the buyer (whatever large foreign company they are making goods for) is happy. They can make whatever you want them to. If you want it to be high quality, they will deliver. They are great at copying and can copy quality. Basically what I am saying is that you can find well made things from China... but most of the time you have to do some trial and error. You can't just assume that it will be good, or bad.

Keep us updated.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Thanks for taking the time effort and money to buy and try this stuff....
    I do put ALOT of stock in personal experience.
    Rep sent.

Often wonder how a $.99 cent compass, or $1.99 knife can be made, sold and shipped for that money.....1000 maybe, but 1....?

Anyway I almost have to agree....some stuff can cheap stuff with no problems.....some stuff I like to stick to Name Brands....
    Only you can make that decision.
    The "Free shipping" is the kicker many times.

My latest find...actually Kyrat found them.... was the "Wahoo Killer" knives for $1.99....currently out of stock (I filled in the E-Mail me when back in stock)
    Bought 6 have used 2 (one daily) and stashed 4 more in bags and vehicles.

These are cheap enough I could buy a dozen, and use then for tent stakes.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I have found that the "Cree" Q5 or other hand lamps and head lamps using the Li iOn 18650 battery is excellent, had one with a bad switch, emailed them and they said Oh... bad clickie, no good we send you new one.

Rancher

Just to be clear....
    It isn't always abut the price paid.

There is something to be said for Made In USA .....as well as tried and true name brands that are still made here, with traditional quality.

It is also a different story to have and use a hand made product by someone you know, admire their work and skill....such as a paracord bracelet custom made by a member here, or a knife made by Crash or other talented knife makers
    They have a style, and are as art form in their own right, far removed from "Just being" a bracelet or knife.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I've bought a few Chinese made stainless steel water bottles from ebay and to me there as good as the brand name items in the shops, for a fraction of the price, the ones i bought were from here;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3908826052...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

There are also folding & wood gas stoves on there, very well made and cheap. You can pick up a wood gas stove for about £10 with free shipping.

Tonyuk
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261652125924?redirect=mobile

I recently got two of these. One for me and one for the mrs. Work fantastic so far. One holds a galaxy and the other an I phone.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Just to be clear....
    It isn't always abut the price paid.

There is something to be said for Made In USA .....as well as tried and true name brands that are still made here, with traditional quality.

It is also a different story to have and use a hand made product by someone you know, admire their work and skill....such as a paracord bracelet custom made by a member here, or a knife made by Crash or other talented knife makers
    They have a style, and are as art form in their own right, far removed from "Just being" a bracelet or knife.
    Good thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Good thoughts
    I agree, but most things cannot be had that are made in the USA or they are priced out way too high. If I am going to buy something from China, way pay the exporter, the importer, the distributer, and Wal-Mart at 10-20x the price? I'll stop there cause it will go political.

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    I agree, but most things cannot be had that are made in the USA or they are priced out way too high. If I am going to buy something from China, way pay the exporter, the importer, the distributer, and Wal-Mart at 10-20x the price? I'll stop there cause it will go political.
    I understand your point and I admit to buying some of the Chinese goods on ebay too, but there is something about American-made craftsmanship. I like to spend an extra dollar or two every once in a while to help out somebody handmaking stuff or running their own shop (local bait shops, friends selling eggs, etc.)
    Last edited by Zack; 06-30-2016 at 04:31 PM.

You are probably too young to remember when Made in Japan was a very bad moniker. Then Japanese automakers forced American automakers to create better, more reliable autos. China has seen its growing pains and is starting to become a world class player. Competition, even on the global scale, makes everyone a better producer because it provides the buyer with more choices. Assuming the playing field is level it is the cheaper and better made mousetrap that sells.

Good point Rick and I agree Zach. I do support local businesses and when an American made product is available then I will go for it as long as it isn't cost prohitive. Many times, American made products are extremely high in price (comparitively speaking) or a product can't be had that is made in America at all.

I love my Ford, Levis, Coleman, and Gerber products. But a Chinese cell phone holder for $3 without leaving my recliner sure beats driving 20 mins each way to wally world to spend $20-$25 for essentially the same thing.

I have noticed that I tend to by many North American and European products as well. They seem to be cheaper in price then American products and better quality then Chinese, although as Rick mentioned, they have improved. For camping doo-dads, Coghlan in Canada is pretty good.