Thread: Heat Exhaustion & Heat Stroke

Default Heat Exhaustion & Heat Stroke

The other day we were having a discussion about working in the heat and some of the things that may affect our endurance in doing so. I thought this was a pretty handy graphic to help recognize the signs and what to do if you are somebody close by is affected by heat exhaustion or heat stroke.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Excellent reference.......And seems like a bigger deal than in MY past....
    Thanks for posting.

It is no joke.
    Last edited by hunter63; 06-28-2016 at 01:42 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

If you remember last year, I posted about my daughter doing a re-enacting hike in Wyoming. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...arb-for-a-girl Apparently, this year a woman died on this same hike because of heat exhaustion. You are most definitely right, it isn't a joke. You need to make sure you drink enough water and don't stay too long in the heat. http://kutv.com/news/local/mormon-pi...safety-efforts
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Good post. It's hard to conceive that you can become a drooling zombie from heat with no rational thought from the heat...and die. A bad way to go.

"google research" that I did once revealed the technical details of whether it's lighter or darker clothing that keeps you cool under the sun:

- Lighter clothing does reflect sunlight, but it also reflects your body heat back onto you. Also, as you can see if you put yourself under some white cloth, some light is getting through and not all getting reflected (if it's thick enough to prevent this, then you'll have another factor making you warm). Also, a lighter shirt sheds it's own heat slower than a darker shirt does.

- Darker clothing absorbs more sunlight, but this just makes the shirt itself warm versus your body, and because it's darker it sheds it's own heat faster than a lighter cloth does. And since it's darker it doesn't reflect your own body heat back onto you nearly as much.

- And this is all with the factors of having at least slightly loose fitting clothing and at least a slight breeze to help the cloth shed it's heat...let alone, of course, take your own heat away.

So in closing, to really understand which is best requires knowing that it's a matter of the clothing itself being hot versus your body...and that you're addressing your own body heat versus just thinking about the sunlight.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Good post!

When I was in training at Ft. Leonard Wood Mo. I saw a few Army and AF guys drop from the heat.
    I asked why the Marines (wearing heavier gear and battle helmets) never dropped and the response I got was they do what they are told and no one told them to drop from the heat... My point is you can adapt to the weather but it takes a LOT of effort and training

I'm just getting old, and have heart issues.......and have to take meds....get tired quicker, hot and cold effects me more than in the past.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

When I was at Benning for basic, they gave us a water card. We had to mark off every time we drank a quart canteen. We were suppose to drink one every hour for a total of 12 a day. One day we are at the shooting range and my Drill Sergeant was sitting next to the CO talking to him. He sees me walk past and yells:
    "Hey Private! Get over here!"
    "Drill Sergeant, Yes, Drill Sergeant."
    "Let me see your water card!"
    "Drill Sergeant, Yes, Drill Sergeant."
    "Why haven't you been drinking every hour?"
    "Drill Sergeant,you don't let us wear watches so I don't know when it has been an hour, Drill Sergeant."
    "What did you say, Private!"

Apparently that was the wrong answer. After the mandatory beating of my face, I made sure to drink a lot more...even though I still didn't know what time it was.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I'm just getting old, and have heart issues.......and have to take meds....get tired quicker, hot and cold effects me more than in the past.
    Too bad you weren't in the Marines. Or were you? Nobody told you to get old.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Thankfully never dropped from the heat or cold but i've seen a few in work go down. Not nice, the recovery is worse.

Tonyuk
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.