Thread: Lock-pick set...

Default Lock-pick set...

Hi All,

Did a quick search but couldn't find anything specific.

I'm interested to know; for those of you that do carry a specific set of lock picks, how do you carry them?
    Hopefully you don't mind sharing such info on an open forum... Welcome to say "on my body," or "what's a lock pick set"... in which case I'll take the hint .

I generally keep a set in my wallet, the handle taped together & all fits neatly into a 'card slot'.
    Another, new set which is still in its frame is kept in my computer-cord bag.

Airport doesn't quite like this, but managed to convince them it wasn't as bad as my 'card-shark' knife (which I had been allowed to return to my vehicle a few minutes earlier).

Thanks in advance. Cheers.

Mike

Aren't those considered burglar tools unless you are a licensed locksmith ?
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    Hmm, not in South Africa; thankfully.

I guess I have never given them a thought.....and most likely won't in the future.
    If I did carry them, it would be with the pry bars, sledge hammer, and bolt cutters.

Gotta ask.....Why would you need a lock pick set in the wilderness?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Is there such a thing as a "licensed" locksmith?

Rancher

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I guess I have never given them a thought.....and most likely won't in the future.
    If I did carry them, it would be with the pry bars, sledge hammer, and bolt cutters.
    Gotta ask.....Why would you need a lock pick set in the wilderness?
    I have a mini pry bar in Bowler N690 which comes in handy at times.
    Yeah, bolt cutters etc definitely more useful; but don't always have the finesse that a lock pick has... or the space to carry them.

I guess my focus was based on the "Bug Out Bags, escape vehicles, 48 hour emergency kits" topic of this section of the forum, not really on the 'wilderness' aspect, although lock picks wouldn't be entirely useless there.

Sometimes one needs to get through a locked gate/door/barrier etc, especially if trying to escape/evade a 'less than tasteful' situation.
    - Let's say I'm in a shopping centre, something happens that requires me to get out of there quickly...the route I take may have a locked door, and going another way would be 'dangerous' or impossible (Just today a local shopping mall had a fire).
    - Maybe I drive up to a locked gate on my way out of 'dodge'...
    - Maybe while hiking in the mountains; the hut that I chose to stay at wasn't unlocked in time...

Options are endless... The skill set is easily learnt and tools easily carried; even if I don't need to use them.

Hope that makes sense?

Quote Originally Posted by cow_rancher View Post
    Was wondering the same thing, but not that I know of down here.

They are not illegal in the U.S. unless there is a state specific law. There is not in my state. I do have a set and a jiggle gun. I have used them a few times to get into my daughters house when she locked herself out. That's the reason I purchased them. I do not carry them with me and have no need of them otherwise. If you have them with you in the states be prepared to answer some tough questions if stopped by law enforcement.

I have thought about it. However, I need to learn the skill before I know what tools are best. I have seen some good videos on youtube just haven't gotten into it yet.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

In Ohio, we have a law where it is illegal to own "criminal tools". Basically, you can own anything, but you commit a crime then you can get two charges.

In other words, own lock picks and your fine. Break into a house and you get charged with burglary and poses sion of a tool to commit a crime.

Personally, I have no experience with them. I was taught to simply kick in the door!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by cow_rancher View Post

Rancher
    Uh yes, at least where I live there is ! Only certain folks are allowed to legally have things like lock picks around here, and if you do, you better have a good reason especially if there has been any burglaries !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Uh yes, at least where I live there is ! Only certain folks are allowed to legally have things like lock picks around here, and if you do, you better have a good reason especially if there has been any burglaries !
    I thought you lived in Ohio?
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I have to wonder how many burglar use lock picks or a big wad of bump keys or a jiggle gun. By the way I have a rechargeable jiggle gun and don't use it for burglary lol.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I have several pick sets. All legal here in Florida.

Possession of burglary tools is a crime. If you have no intent to burgal it ain't a burglary tool

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

In my area most burglars use a big rock or a crowbar.

And most are kids with a few being drug addicts looking for stuff they can sell quick for a fix.

If they owned a jiggle gun or set of lock picks they would pawn them for dope money!

I have seen the police charge people with possession of burglary tools because there was a rock on the ground next to a broken window! It is a catch all term for unlimited add on charges at the time of arrest.

Same with car keys from '90s era vehicles where when the key wears down and the ignition gets old one key might open just about any vehicle of that make you walk up to. Got yourself a "bump key".
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I was also wondering about this and even though they are not specifically survivor tools unless you are talking about urban survival and that is a thing. I was just checking this out and found this article ******Removed Link***** so I might try to build a small set like this because it's pretty small and easy to carry in a survival set. Especially because a bunch of the tools are actually multipurpose.
    Last edited by Rick; 03-02-2021 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Removed Link

Ya know......if you are going to spam a site you should probably not include your spam link in your profile. Bye bye idiot.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel