1 12.50%
  • GO for it I'd buy both

1 12.50%
  • Don't bother

6 75.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Fire pistons!

Question Fire pistons!

I'm currently doing some research on a project I'm considering. I was thinking of making fire pistons/fire kits for a hobby/side gig. If I were to make basic fire pistons for around 15 to 20 bucks with some basic items on the side. Is that something every body thinks is acceptable. I was also considering doing some in titanium as well for about 40 bucks each nothing special just the strait out fire piston tried and true.

You may want to go here http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions and introduce yourself. You may also want to go into more detail about what your project.

I made a fire piston. Worked well. Cost less than $3 to make. It was a novelty sort of thing for me. Also for me - there are so many better ways to start a fire that it would be rare that I ever carry one. Good to understand and know how to use, but that's about it for me.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Made one, didn't work....so went back to a Bic or ferro rod...
    Not some thing I would carry.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Thank you for the heads up. I know they can be pretty easy to make, but I'm aiming for those lazy people who would rather buy one. The thing I notice about them is that they aren't always cheap to buy. My goal is to offer a cheaper solution. The first option is aluminum length will be around 4 inches the titanium option would be the same length. I was also planing to offer redundancy into the kit by including other means to start a fire with directions for each method... firesteel bowdrill things of that nature. I would include multiple tinder options. But my main goal is the pistons. The accessories are included. If enough people are interested I can custom make pistons as well. My pistons would come with a limited lifetime warranty.

Well, I don't want my life limited....so maybe I should skip the warranty?...
    And if I die, who would collect, or are you just going to offer free replacement?

Free replacements on defects due to build flaw. Shipping would be covered on new and replaced items. But this is all in the beginning stages if I don't get enough interest none of it matters. Just wanted to know if people would buy. I plan on doing a few runs to see if I get any sales if it's not worth the time. I'll just gift out my stock.

Build me one, I'll buy it and give it a try........
    PM me with details.

Don't you think it's a bit tacky to post a poll then select all the Yes items and leave the one No item blank? Sounds like market research to me. I don't use them.

Just a wee bit spammy IMO.

I will say - if your only goal in joining the forum is to sell your wares, you will be disappointed.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

To me, fire pistons are parlor tricks. They look cool to people who have no idea how to start a fire....but I would never carry one in an emergency kit. I would rather carry the weight in ferro rods. Right now, I carry a ferro rod, an extra ferro rod, some more small ferro rods stashed in different places, a mag block, a bic lighter, generally another bic somewhere else in my gear, a bunch of storm matches, and a magnifying glass I took off a set of binos. I pair that with some PJ and cotton balls.

Anyways, for your main question.... make a website, make some pistons, see if anyone buys them. There is always ebay. Make 20 and see how long they take to sell. I won't buy one though.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

My reason for joining isn't to make money. If I happen to its a bonus. I just thought using a resource such as this forum to get people's input was a good idea especially since the item I'm thinking about making is targeted to people who may be members. This is a hobby project not my career. In any case thank you for stopping by. I'll post pictures of the ones I make in my first batch. If I get enough interest I'll consider anodizing/dieing them in future lots. Everything will be made by my own hands no out sourcing just getting supplies and I do the rest. I'll remove my poll since it seems to offend...

Well I can't figure out how to remove the poll. I guess people will have to ignore it.

Last year I tooled up to make a decent sized batch of them for sale. It did not go as easily as expected even using reamed bores, and machine tools and while I still have materials on hand to finish a bunch eventually I have to call the project a loss. Your mileage may vary but I found it be to more involved than expected.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I would just like to see one work.......LOL
    I'm still in.......

Currently way down on my list of stuff to carry.....but,.... What the heck?
    I spent $20 buck on dumber stuff.......
    Last edited by hunter63; 06-22-2016 at 01:18 AM.