Thread: ODNR has gone crazy!

Default ODNR has gone crazy!

Being that I work a full time job, a second job here and there, and go to school part time, finding a little time for some relaxation and enjoying hobbies is a little difficult to say the least. So when I saw that I have a 24 hour window available, I decided to take my daughter for a night of camping and do a little bit of canoeing on a pleasant little lake. My daughter is pretty excited at the thought and has been begging for both a campout and a canoe ride. As I have always done, I pulled up the ODNR website and had a bit of a shock.

The first shock was that they raise the camp site prices to $28 from $22 last year (and they were $19 the year before that). I have always considered the camp fees as more of a donation, but a 34% increase over two years is a bit over kill. Heck, in some nearby hotels the rates start at $29.99/night!

The second shock was that they no longer permit 1 night stays and require all stays for a minimum of two nights. What the heck?!!!! A dad who works his tail end off pretty much around the clock gets one day available and I can't use a public campground? I'm waving a bull crap flag on this and plan on calling the ODNR state office in the AM.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I can't believe they're trying to do business like that, I mean sure most people would stay more than one night, but why would you make a rule that keeps some people from giving you business? I'm sure that most people who were going to stay over night switch to 2 and that's their plan I'm sure, but that's pretty dirty if you ask me. And that rate increase is insane but I don't know what other campsites charge either lol.

Delaware has had this policy for awhile:
    Advance reservations for weekend stays require a two-night minimum stay from May 1 through October 31. Three-nights stays are required for Labor Day, Memorial Day, NASCAR weekend at Killens Pond, and Fourth of July weekend. Your two-night stay may be either on Friday and Saturday or Saturday and Sunday.

You may reserve a campsite for a one-night weekend stay if you make your reservation within 14 days or less of your arrival. However, availability and choice of sites may be limited at that point.
    Probably where our DOT got the idea to triple the toll road costs on weekends!
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

While it sucks, I suspect that the minimum stay time has to do with economics (not saying its right). If the campgrounds are at full or nearly full capacity during certain times of the year they want to keep it that way. Since most stays are longer than one night this helps them prevent open dates that very few would be interested in.

I've seen quite a few places where this is a requirement during certain times of the year (like Pete mentioned) or on weekends.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

We have the two night stay as well. I think it reeks but I understand their reasoning.

You might take a look at Wayne National Forest. They offer primitive camping and they have a lake. I know it's a bit of a drive but there are no minimum nights.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    We have the two night stay as well. I think it reeks but I understand their reasoning.
    Trouble is, it burns that option for traveling overnighters, like bike tourers. Since those also tend to be the people who take up the least space, (most folks touring on a bicycle use ultralight backpacker gear anyway, and can fit 4-5 to a single car site) show up at dusk, set up, shower, eat, pass out and are up and gone at dawn, (keeping them out of the way of the day use crowd and 90% of the other campers) alienating them is a bad plan. I've heard of a few privately owned campsites offering pretty good discounts for folks who just want to pitch a tent, shower, sleep and go.

Like any business....they are trying to justify their facilities, and keep a limited number of empty sites......especially at state sites.

Yeah, I think that sucks, but that kinda the way of the world.

The ones that used to pizz me off were the semi-permanent sites people would rent by the season....and never show up....Many were leases.
    I don't think there are many of these left in state parks.

We used to have very good luck in small city parks....for overnight-ers, canoeing and hunting....reasonable rates, facilities....just not much of a attraction.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by NightSG View Post
    Trouble is, it burns that option for traveling overnighters, like bike tourers. Since those also tend to be the people who take up the least space, (most folks touring on a bicycle use ultralight backpacker gear anyway, and can fit 4-5 to a single car site) show up at dusk, set up, shower, eat, pass out and are up and gone at dawn, (keeping them out of the way of the day use crowd and 90% of the other campers) alienating them is a bad plan. I've heard of a few privately owned campsites offering pretty good discounts for folks who just want to pitch a tent, shower, sleep and go.
    I have traveled cross country several times on a bike (motorcycle, not bicycle) and camped most of the time. While I never ran into a two night minimum, I remember fondly a full camp ground. When they told me it was full I asked if I could pitch a tent in the parking lot - I was tired, wanted to have a bite to eat, a drink and then get some sleep. They said I think we can squeeze you in. I followed the ranger to a small area. She even left me some firewood. I pitched the tent, ate and enjoyed an adult beverage next to the fire. The next morning I found out why they were so full at about 5 AM. To the roar of thunder I awoke to find out I was camping with the families of the North American Women's Bass Fishing Tourney. All of those boats starting up sure sounded like thunder. When it finally got light out I saw how crowded the place was and was especially grateful that the squeezed me in.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Being that I work a full time job, a second job here and there, and go to school part time, finding a little time for some relaxation and enjoying hobbies is a little difficult to say the least. So when I saw that I have a 24 hour window available, I decided to take my daughter for a night of camping and do a little bit of canoeing on a pleasant little lake. My daughter is pretty excited at the thought and has been begging for both a campout and a canoe ride. As I have always done, I pulled up the ODNR website and had a bit of a shock.

The first shock was that they raise the camp site prices to $28 from $22 last year (and they were $19 the year before that). I have always considered the camp fees as more of a donation, but a 34% increase over two years is a bit over kill. Heck, in some nearby hotels the rates start at $29.99/night!

The second shock was that they no longer permit 1 night stays and require all stays for a minimum of two nights. What the heck?!!!! A dad who works his tail end off pretty much around the clock gets one day available and I can't use a public campground? I'm waving a bull crap flag on this and plan on calling the ODNR state office in the AM.
    What part of the state do you live in ? Down here in the southern part of the state we have Wayne National Forest with Lake Vesuvius and we can primitive camp for free outside the recreational are boundary and you can get outside that boundary on the water by canoe. We also have Timbre Ridge Lake with free camping as long as you don't camp on the dam, but a lot of riff raff likes to hang out there and not patrolled much !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

I hear ya, Night. There have been several times I've thought we'd make a run someplace and spend the night. Wrong. Two night minimum. @#$#$%$@!

Wayne, NF. Now that's a great suggestion.

No shock here same thing happened in Maryland. Donation? serious... I don't live in Ohio - so look into 55 and over discounts. I cannot understand why folk do not get what is happening here in "general" State parks and lands... you are paying a large group of people the only profitable program in an average state where many other programs are in the negative or a drain on the system. State employees at the game commission with a few exceptions get wages and benifits at 33k-50k in Ohio. Its a rough job. You are paying for it. My advice to you is to study up on cowboy camping and ruffin' it on game lands where they cant find you. Your choice - its just "lite" advice... Since the price crazy moments in Health care, gas, vehicles and electricity everything is up. Hmm can you say 8 years? + 2
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Thanks all. I am familiar with primitive camping and the Wayne NF. I have been to Vesuvius and Timber Ridge many times. I just don't think my daughter who is barely eight is quite ready for that level yet. Maybe another year or two. Thankfully, she has started to show an interest in hiking so I will see how she does on some nice trails.

My goal was just a one night daddy daughter camp out where we set up camp and then canoe for a few hours. After that, enjoy a nice little snack and hike a 1-2 mile park trail. That would get followed up with a little camp fire dinner with a smore for dessert. End the night we with a story or two and pass out in the tent. The morning would consist of a simple breakfast and then pack up. Maybe go for another small hike or canoe ride before departure.

I just didn't think a 3 hour drive would be required of such a time when I have a dozen state parks in less than an hour drive from me.

I did contact the ODNR offices in Columbus today. Got the "yeah, we understand. Thanks for the feedback, click"..... oh well. What ya gonna do?......

Thanks all. I am familiar with primitive camping and the Wayne NF. I have been to Vesuvius and Timber Ridge many times. I just don't think my daughter who is barely eight is quite ready for that level yet. Maybe another year or two. Thankfully, she has started to show an interest in hiking so I will see how she does on some nice trails.

My goal was just a one night daddy daughter camp out where we set up camp and then canoe for a few hours. After that, enjoy a nice little snack and hike a 1-2 mile park trail. That would get followed up with a little camp fire dinner with a smore for dessert. End the night we with a story or two and pass out in the tent. The morning would consist of a simple breakfast and then pack up. Maybe go for another small hike or canoe ride before departure.

I just didn't think a 3 hour drive would be required of such a time when I have a dozen state parks in less than an hour drive from me.

I did contact the ODNR offices in Columbus today. Got the "yeah, we understand. Thanks for the feedback, click"..... oh well. What ya gonna do?......
    Vesuvius has 3 hiking trails, the 8 mile lakeshore, the 16 mile backpack trail which includes the lakeshore plus an extra 8 mile spur through the forest, then a half mile Rockhouse trail near the boat ramp. They also have horse trails if anyone is interested. Timbre Ridge Lake as I mentioned has a lot of riff raff hanging out there. Went there a couple of times to do some fishing and couldn't get near the boat ramp for the tailgaters with their booze parties blocking the ramp with their cars. Reported it and nothing was done !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    Vesuvius has 3 hiking trails, the 8 mile lakeshore, the 16 mile backpack trail which includes the lakeshore plus an extra 8 mile spur through the forest, then a half mile Rockhouse trail near the boat ramp. They also have horse trails if anyone is interested. Timbre Ridge Lake as I mentioned has a lot of riff raff hanging out there. Went there a couple of times to do some fishing and couldn't get near the boat ramp for the tailgaters with their booze parties blocking the ramp with their cars. Reported it and nothing was done !
    Yep, Hiked all three parts of Vesuvius. Did a lot of fishing there as well. Great sunfish and crappie in that lake. Lots of wildlife in general there. Deer, turtles, beaver, and tons of birds. Definitely a great place.

I have been all over Timbre Ridge as well. Some experiences there have been like you described, I noticed that it is particularly weekends in the summer. I did a four day during the week there once, it was in early October. I only saw one boat with two guys who were fishing. They were so quite I didn't even notice them until they were about 200 feet from my camp on the shore. Another great place for Sunfish, Crappie, and Bluegill. My brother and I ate like a king when we went there together the summer before last.