Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ?'s for all you wool blanket users

I have been using the $9 fleece sleeping bags from Wal-Mart for a few years now. I have three and I layer them up as needed.

Swiss wool blankets are the best according to some, that is what i use. You can get them for around 20 dollars. they are thick, durable and pretty cool looking. If you want to keep them from itching you can use hair conditioner in your washing machine, i have also heard something called cream rinse is good, it is hair afterall. If you wanna see a cool vid on one use for a good blanket here is a link. This video features the swiss wool blanket.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJqdbyGsmAE
    Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thanks! That's a good video. I think I'd rather use a couple of pebbles instead of the stick. That way you don't have to poke holes in the blanket. Just fold the edge of the blanket over a pebble on each side and tie the paracord around the pebble just like you would to tie down a tarp. Of course, if it were a true survival situation those little holes wouldn't bother me.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I've heard of using hair conditioner to soften up the wool blankets, but would you put it in during the wash cycle or the last rinse cycle?
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

All my blankets and capote's are Hudson Bay, or Whitey, point blankets.
    they are big, cost a lot of money ($ 100-up) and are worth every penny.

I, too, had been buying cheaper blankets, seemingly over and over, but not till I bought the good ones was I warm, no matter what.

Sadly, this tidbit from a rendezvous supplier, the the Earley Whitney plant in England, was closed, as the real estate it was on was worth more money than all the money they
    made since day one.......
    So the looms were sold and the quaility has gown down, with the new supplier.
    A 6 point (pound) now is about a 4 point etc.
    So, if your looking for a good blanket, they will be very expensive........and worth every penny.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffersonpaine View Post
    Swiss wool blankets are the best according to some, that is what i use. You can get them for around 20 dollars. they are thick, durable and pretty cool looking. If you want to keep them from itching you can use hair conditioner in your washing machine, i have also heard something called cream rinse is good, it is hair afterall. If you wanna see a cool vid on one use for a good blanket here is a link. This video features the swiss wool blanket.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJqdbyGsmAE
    I am pretty sure Dave uses an Italian surplus wool blanket, he mentions it elsewhere, and I own one just like it.

That is a good video, looks a lot like a capote, but easier.

I see that Track Of The Wolf doesn't carry capotes any longer, but here is a site with blankets and patterns.

Be prepared to choke when you see the prices............

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(w04...Num=PATTERN-90

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(w04...21&styleID=389

Good thing I already have quite a few Whinty abd Hudson Bay blankets, couldn't afford them now.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Have used USMC issue wool blanket since 2000. Have no problems no regrets. Go with what you know i guess.
    Semper Fi