Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Homestead Rescue....New program rescue....On Discovery

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Another episode of Homestead Rescue last night.

I am convinced the Rainey family came to WSF and looked up every moron that ever came here and asked us how to make the impossible happen.

This week it seems it was the last guy that asked us how to start a farm in the Nevada desert. No water, no house, no dirt, a thousand rattlesnakes and no common sense.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Guy on the "other forum" is talking about a a water tote, tasting like plastic......seems he's hauling water for his "Place".

I am surprised that they hit water out in the desert last night, on last nights episode .....but then again they drilled close to the neighbors "spring".
    But the "dig a hole for a well" out there?......Wow, what were they thinking?

Wonder how much the show paid the guy for the well?......and I didn't really hear how deep?
    Last edited by hunter63; 07-16-2016 at 03:54 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

They hit water at 150 feet.

It surprised the well driller too. He was predicting a 1000 foot dry hole.

Water tote tasting like plastic???

Does he mean tastes like plastic instead of chlorine or any of the other tastes water picks up during filtering and transport.

It is truly amazing how people decide to do the "dry farm" thing and expect their water to taste like it came from a flowing spring and realize their solar system will not support an air conditioner in the 105 degree heat.

I used a plastic tank for three years in one spot. I never noticed a taste in the water because I was using chlorine to purify the system.

I thought that's what he said...????....They drilled for 2 days? ....for water at 150 ft?
    My well on the hill .....is 185 ft. with water at 130' with a 4 " pipe in 6" case down 90ft (grouted)....was $4500 bucks with state approval and stamp.

My "stock well" on the river bottom is 30 ft. 1-1/2 pipe w/sand ......water was at 12 ft just under the hard pan.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Was he leaving his plastic tote out in the sun? That will make it taste like the plastic, especially if it is new. Ask me how I know...
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

1TS everything they had was out in the sun, they were in Nevada living in a pile of old RV trailers. Every group they have helped has been a bunch of cloud brained dreamers and some of them could not even see the obvious solution for their problem even when it was presented to them.

They all have a dream, so it is just supposed to happen!

I have noticed that all of the failing homesteaders have one thing in common.

None of them have a JOB!

I have never known any successful small farmer, and all of these homesteaders are on relatively small plots, who did not have regular employment bringing in a stable income.

Many of these people have quit their jobs, cashed out their retirement funds and dived into a life they knew nothing about. And on each of the shows I have heard the same comment expressed. "It wasn't supposed to be this hard!"
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 07-16-2016 at 10:22 PM.