Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Homestead Rescue....New program rescue....On Discovery

Default Homestead Rescue....New program rescue....On Discovery

Homestead Rescue....New program rescue....On Discovery.

Started tonight...on now.......
    Guy and his family are helping Homesteaders in trouble.
    First couple are a trip........Lots of dreams, no money.....

Fridays at 9:00 CST
    https://press.discovery.com/us/dsc/p...estead-rescue/

Bought 11 acres in Montana, no way to grow food, no water on property....drives 40 miles every day for 20 gal of water from a store.....

Should be a lesson for the backpack and big knife folks.........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Sounds interesting, but in my opinion if they need to be rescued then they are doing something that they had no business doing in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Adventure Wolf View Post
    Sounds interesting, but in my opinion if they need to be rescued then they are doing something that they had no business doing in the first place.
    Isn't that the theme of many would be "RATTW" folks....... "My world sucks....I want to live off the grid"......And "Where can get free or cheap land for a homestead....I don't have any money....."

Yeah, the rescuers ended up giving them, a water tank and a truck full of water.....so much for "Off the grid"...
    We will see...

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Isn't that the theme of many would be "RATTW" folks....... "My world sucks....I want to live off the grid"......And "Where can get free or cheap land for a homestead....I don't have any money....."

Yeah, the rescuers ended up giving them, a water tank and a truck full of water.....so much for "Off the grid"...
    We will see...
    The problem is that people think living off the grid is a better choice because they've never done it. If they grew up like my mother in the hollers of Kentucky without running water or electricity. then they would have a completely different view of living off the grid.

Yeah, That's kinda the point of the show....

I saw previews. Looking forward to catching up on-line.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

It seem there is a familiar theme here.....
    Dumas decides the life "Off Grid Homesteader" is a new romantic, idealistic way of life.....

Start or with minimum of knowledge, experience and MONEY......
    Project is failing...
    Hero's...with a resume of NOT dying doing the same thing.... to the rescue.....

Perform obvious problem solving....then ride off into the sunset with the audience believing that "just maybe, these people will be successful...."
    Tune in next week.....

Was NOT real impressed so far....will most likely try again to see how it goes....

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    It seem there is a familiar theme here.....
    Dumas decides the life "Off Grid Homesteader" is a new romantic, idealistic way of life.....

Start or with minimum of knowledge, experience and MONEY......
    Project is failing...
    Hero's...with a resume of NOT dying doing the same thing.... to the rescue.....

Perform obvious problem solving....then ride off into the sunset with the audience believing that "just maybe, these people will be successful...."
    Tune in next week.....

Was NOT real impressed so far....will most likely try again to see how it goes....
    Being a fulltime RV'er at a very rural small RV park, Discovery isn't a channel my antenna picks up, if it gets broadcast OTA at all so never seen it, probably never will. My net is via smartphone and I don't like paying for extra DATA, so I'm not going to watch it online.

I'm just going off of purely what you guys have said this far and from my perspective I'm wondering does this show have alterior motives of portraying the homesteading/self-sufficiency/off grid types as the idiots that "normal" society thinks they are. Normally I would say who cares but......in this day and age with bleeding heart do gooders and Big Brother feeling the need to intrude to save people from themselves could this show cause them to take action and try to regulate this type of lifestyle? Yeah, moving to the middle of nowhere with no viable plan for water is pretty flippin stupid but they've got every right to do it. I'm probably just over thinking things as usual, but in a society where legislation can limit the size of the soda pop you get at the local convenience store, I don't think my thought is terribly far fetched.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Been there done that. I started several homesteads. Have not seen the show but know the retinue.

They are all dumb azzhats, some just live through the experience and learn to stay alive as they go, then take that knowledge to the next location and meet a new set of problems.

The average person is under the impression that if they work hard, read a lot, try hard enough, and they are "good people" then the rules say it just has to work out.

The truth is that there are never enough hours in the day, you never have enough money to do what you want, the instruction books never contain all the steps, everything that can go wrong will go wrong, you will find out everyone else is not good people, and the whole place has a good chance of burning to the ground while you sleep.

I would love to see the casting call for that series! Wanted, people from the city trying to live off grid, must be engaged in a near death experience or to have made decisions so stupid no one will quite believe it is real.

Do we not constantly tell people that if land is vacant or cheap in 2016 the reason is that you can't live there!

This pilot episode sounds like that moron we had a couple of months back that wanted step by step instruction on how to live on a dry farm in Nevada. He though as long as he had 350 days of sunshine a year and a solar panel he was set! He didn't consider water a priority either, collect some dew, store roof runoff from the 4 inches of rain a year....

Reality TV will never end as long as there are new homesteaders and people willing to starve in the woods for money, with or without clothing.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 06-18-2016 at 03:28 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Crap, I don't have enough hours in the day to take care of my house in the 'burbs. I have no idea what I'd do off grid. As for rain run off, I have 100 gallons of rain catchment and even with all the rain we've had this spring I have still used most of it for watering flowers and the garden. 4 inches a year would last about 12 minutes.

Good Lord above I was right!!

I am sitting here watching the first episode and it is exactly as expected.

These people should have never left the suburbs of PA where one can survive as a dumazz and hard headed stupidity is expected.

These people are surrounded by elk, deer and small game and they are starving. The man has not picked up a gun and gone to the woods although facing starvation. They even have a goat heard living off site because the "goat mansion" is not present and there is no water. They have not planted a single seed in the ground even to watch if fail, because "good enough" is not what she expected.

And OH YEA! We did mention there was no water!

So now the tank is there, but I will guarantee you that when it runs dry, and they do not have the funds for a 1000 gallon delivery, they will revert to the 20 gallon water runs again while cursing the empty tank.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 06-18-2016 at 04:01 PM.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

They are using too much water if they have to go every other day and why don't they stock up more?
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Same reason the lasy didn't want a green house...but a garden "down the hill.... the "goat barn" wasn't big enough....not going to work on the house as it just temporary ,...... she's waiting on the "Big House".......

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    They are using too much water if they have to go every other day and why don't they stock up more?
    I could not figure that out either. If you have no regular income and you are dribbling away a nest egg of some sort then why not buy a week/month of water at a time and avoid wasting money on the trip.

Unless you enjoy the trip and it is a daily escape from the homestead. Is an escape worth $19,000 a year? That was their estimated water and transport cost hauling it 20 gallons a day.

Neither one of them are suited to homestead life, or life as westerners, and there is a western thought process the people that live in the west develop related to their climates and environments.

Months latter, in the final scene follow up, the man had still not "gone hunting".

How do you live in the wilderness and walk past game daily and not pick up a gun and shoot some food? That is as much a non-homesteading attitude as waiting for the goat castle to be supplied.

What you want to bet they bought that land sight unseen off the internet?
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 06-19-2016 at 12:27 AM.

The whole purpose of the show Doomsday Preppers was to make fun of the prepper community and make them all look like idiots. I haven't seen this show, so don't know what their motive is.

This show sounds pretty funny though. If you don't have water on the property, then you probably shouldn't homestead there. Some rancher probably died and his kids didn't want the family business, so they parsed out the land to sell. The property with water is probably a lot more expensive. This property is probably only good for hunting land.

Hunting in Montana, like most of the west, has a specific season. If it is not in season, you can't shoot it. http://fwp.mt.gov/mtoutdoors/HTML/ar...m#.V2hAoKLGXeY Of course, if they have been there for more than a year, they should have taken an elk by then.

The wife and I have been looking at land in Montana. It is a lot cheaper. But, first I have to find a job there. I want a hobby farm, not a complete off grid homestead.

Having not seen the show, but listening to you guys, it sounds like the misses expects it to be all perfect. My sister in law is like that. They want to buy land and live on it. He is a lawyer who works from home. All he needs is internet and he is making money. Every time they look at land, they start stickin' their noses up at the "trash" left behind from the previous owner. You know, old farm equipment, trailers, rusty stuff, stuff that isn't pretty. The only way they could pull off a homestead is if they paid someone full time to work it. Some people just don't want to change enough to make it work.
    Last edited by finallyME; 06-20-2016 at 03:31 PM.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I'll refrain from judging the people on the show since I dont know them or their history. And even though they had many issues (lack of knowledge) at least they have the testicular fortitude to make the jump and get away from society...

I didnt think it was very entertaining but I did learn some do's and don'ts so I will watch it again

I'm holding out for the other new show, Naked and Homesteading!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    I'm holding out for the other new show, Naked and Homesteading!!
    I have done that one back in 1982!

No camera crew involved.

It worked out well and was a lot of fun.

This week...Couple in Virgina, bought land on Craig's List....
    Had 40 hogs and a bunch of chickens...all free range (hog wild?...LOL)....
    Hawks, eagles, coyotes....killing them like crazy....
    Lady killed a yote and was crying, but realized they need to control the predators.

No out house, crapping anywhere in the woods........built house (shack) 12X12 2-story .....with a big azz oak tree next to it......they did cut it and traded 3- 8 ft logs for about $3000 worth of cut lumber.

Trying to convince the guy that the sows need to be kept in a pen so they could suckle the piglets.....so far had only one make it.
    Seems he kinda hard headed....
    So building a pig pen and chicken coop they "were" free range as well....not many left.

All I can say is....Good Lord.

I can understand being emotional after killing an animal, especially if it was a first. I will say that she didn't question him...it was should I take the the shot, YES..... BOOM. Of course that was probably shot #35 cut 3..........

I can also understand their trying to let the chickens totally free range, it's the first year. I've provided a chicken buffet in the past.

He was very hard headed and convinced everything should run loose.......with 40 hogs on 20 acres??????

I REALLY don't understand why they've been squatting in the brush for a year?????????

At the end they said that the people had built a greenhouse using " a bunch of sliding glass doors that were on property" and had also made steps to futher confine the pigs. They made some electric pastures.

The man said he learned things from youtube and had already cut himself on the leg with a chainsaw.

I'm real curious how to get rid of the birds they have. I have quite a few hawks owls and buzzards around here but holy cow they were just circling around their place.

I don't know, it's kind of entertaining to me. If anything maybe someone sees it and realize it takes more than a hog, chicken and bucket of water to make a sustainable homestead......because that's what it seems these folks are working with.