Thread: Smoke detector and fire extinguisher day 6/16/16

Default Smoke detector and fire extinguisher day 6/16/16

Smoke detector and fire extinguisher day .......6/16/16...
    (I just made that up, but today was the day)

Anyway, I check smoke detectors and a bunch of other stuff on daylight saving time.....spring and fall......on was being kinda flakey at last check..... And guy on the news says they only last 10 years(?)....but these were OLD (still have a crank on them...joke)

So as I checking I noticed that one of the fire extinguishers (kitchen) was flat (1992)....so started checking and found one in the bedroom flat as well....That was a Montgomery Ward (How old is that?)

Basement shop area OK but old as well as one in the garage, same thing.....

Came home with 3 detectors and 4 fire extinguishers.... replaced the flat bottles and added new to the OK locations.

Got to tell ya....Kiddie could make the Destructions (instructions) just a bit smaller....so NO ONE can read them......(&^%$#@)

So all are marked 6/16/16....

Now......what do I do with the old ones?........ I sure they are a hazard, wouldn't you think.

Need to check the trucks, boat, and now the camper......but got a good start today.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Old fire extinguishers???

I would be forced to check and see if they had any punch left.

Spray the chickens, scare the dogs, freeze a wasp nest.

Then screw off the control section and make some killer redneck wind chimes from the bottles.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Yeah....Did that.......The powder just kinda drops out slow....LOL....No "whoosh" left...

Some say the Fire Department will take them....we will see....gonna call them

So then I looked up how to dispose of the smoke detectors ....
    The companies are suppose to take them back....I would have to pay for shipping.....HAHAHA...Yeah right.

Pitch them is in the plans.

Check and see if your city or county has a hazardous waste disposal. They should take them.

Around here the big box hardware stores have recycle bins for cfl's and smoke detectors.

I like the redneck wind chime idea.........or small smoker.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Target practice does come to mind.....But gonna make some calls in the morning....
    Always something.

Won't work as a smoker. It'll keep puttin' the fire out. It is a fire extinguisher. Sheeeesh. I gotta tell you guys everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Won't work as a smoker. It'll keep puttin' the fire out. It is a fire extinguisher. Sheeeesh. I gotta tell you guys everything.
    Ah, Yup, the Voice of Reason (?) in the wilderness....or neighborhood.....interweb....some where?

So..OK, called the Fire Department.........Bhohahahaha........Chief, Asst Chief, Admin asst (3), Battalion Chief, Maint. Fire suppression, Fire prevention, Training.....Station 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 10.......
    "If This is an Emergency Dial 911, if not leave a message......?

Seriously?......All those people?....No one answers the phone?....What do the Amin. Asst. do?.......
    So left a message....the Fire Prevention Chief calls me back, in a couple of minutes......

I was laughing when he called about having to leave a message......and said so...
    I guess they will take me off the "Hurry right over when the Dumas sets hisself on fire again", list....Don't Pizz Off The FD.

Anyway, smoke detectors go in the garbage, ....fire extinguishers...I have to wait in line at the Hazard Waste Re-Cycling Center on the first Sat. of the month......
    RIIIIIGHT.....I will get right on that......
    Target practice it is.....

So ! suggested that maybe post what to do with these things on the website? .....Right....
    Guy most likely hung up....muttering.... "As whole".....

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Since I manage 3 "apartment buildings" with 7 or 8 apartments each, and provide each with fire extinguishers, we have a contract with a place that comes inspects, repairs and/or replaces them every year. We give them back to the company. I don't know what they do with them but assume they reuse them.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

That's a good thought.

Went by the place where the factory fire extinguisher survive had his shop....it was closed.
    His company used to do as you suggest, ....serviced and inspected our factory units for many years.....as well as several big factories in town.
    Chrysler, Snap-On, American Brass, Ladish, just to name a few....was a big business.....and he inspected my racecar on-board system for me.....All Gone.

Now usually you just buy the cheap units and toss them at the end of the life span.

You can always turn the extinguisher bottles into an air compressor tank, or expand the one you have. I have seen some people take an old fridge compressor and attach it to a couple extinguisher bottles for a supper quiet air compressor.

Of course, pressurizing them up with something "fun" and then shooting them is always an option.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Fire alarms can be handed into the local fire station here. Also, you can bring any extinguishers needing serviced and they'll exchange them for freshly serviced ones there and then, for a small fee. Far cheaper than having a company come in and do it. A while back they were doing home visits to check if alarms were installed etc, i had one done and they not only gave me 3 new smoke detectors and another carbon monoxide alarm but installed them too, cracking service really. Give your local station a call and see what they can do.

Tonyuk
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

Tried that, and got a "Leave a message" , message....see post #9

Now if I was a renter in the Low income part of town, with Gov. subsidized housing...The fire Dept. can't get out there fast enough for a "free" inspection, "free" smoke detector(s), installed.......your face on the news.....for "lookie how well we take care of those poor people......(Not free of course....I paid for them but some one else got the ones I bought...I guess?)

Anyway, maybe should have played the "elderly" card?.........Naw, some how that just don't seem right.....

Growing old is like playing poker with an extra deck of cards in your pocket. Hey, if you got 'em, play 'em. Five aces beats just about everything.

"I'm old, half blind, can't hear. I'm crippled with arthritis and I'm broke. Five aces.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post

"I'm old, half blind, can't hear. I'm crippled with arthritis and I'm broke. Five aces.
    And can get crabby.......LOL

Was taking some stuff to the "electronics recycling" center....we can get rid of that stuff for free.....
    Had a couple of more smaller TV's couple of old key boards and "stuff"....

Lady was in the line over maybe in her 30's, unloading 3 bigger TV's....she comes over and asked me, "You want some help with that stuff...."......said "Sure"....so she took the tv's and unloaded them while I "handled" the key boards and routers......

I guess being "older" does come with perks.
    DW was in the truck, and was kinda laughing at me.......LOL

Did she look like Ruth?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Did she look like Ruth?
    Not really.....but did look like she know her way around home improvements and DYI........Maybe give Ruth a run in the survival game....LOL