Thread: What are your favorite woodland "survival trees" and why?

Default What are your favorite woodland "survival trees" and why?

What's your personal favorites and why? In what ways would you use your choices?

FL here. Sabal palm. Shelter, food, tinder, cordage, mats, etc.

Survival trees?
    The trees are what they are.
    Good for shelter and fire. Any food value is extremely limited to the time of year they are dropping fruit. In fact, if you want to eat that fruit, you don't use them for fire and shelter.

In the Northeast I'd have to say Apple.
    Heavy production.
    You can dry them for storage
    You can make a great BBQ smoke from the pruned limbs
    The drops draw in the deer, turkey and other critters so you don't have to tramp through the woods to find them.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

I would say white birch. The bark can be used to start fires, make containers, canoes, make tar, make knife handles, knife sheaths etc. The leaves will suds up and can be used for washing, The tree can be tapped in the spring like a maple tree and the sap can be consumed or boiled into a syrup. Chaga grows on a birch tree and can be harvested and used for a tea. The wood can be used for firewood, knife and axe handles. I would imagine the inner bark can be eaten for subsistence.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    Survival trees?
    The trees are what they are.
    Good for shelter and fire. Any food value is extremely limited to the time of year they are dropping fruit. In fact, if you want to eat that fruit, you don't use them for fire and shelter.

In the Northeast I'd have to say Apple.
    Heavy production.
    You can dry them for storage
    You can make a great BBQ smoke from the pruned limbs
    The drops draw in the deer, turkey and other critters so you don't have to tramp through the woods to find them.
    Trees are awesome!! Come on now. Yes, survival trees. Not only for shelter and fruit. Fatwood, pitch, pine nuts, making now and hand drill kits, fire plows etc, edible cambium layers, drinks made from various parts, medicinal drinks made from various parts of others, shingles for shelters, for telling direction. It goes on and on.

Trees have many different applications. I love trees!!

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    I would say white birch. The bark can be used to start fires, make containers, canoes, make tar, make knife handles, knife sheaths etc. The leaves will suds up and can be used for washing, The tree can be tapped in the spring like a maple tree and the sap can be consumed or boiled into a syrup. Chaga grows on a birch tree and can be harvested and used for a tea. The wood can be used for firewood, knife and axe handles. I would imagine the inner bark can be eaten for subsistence.
    White birch has great medicinal properties as well. It's an awesome tree!!

Aw, just starting to get fun.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    Aw, just starting to get fun.
    No biggie. Just another tree troll.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    FL here. Sabal palm. Shelter, food, tinder, cordage, mats, etc.
    It's every where and useful beyond belief. That is why it is our state tree. I use it every single camping trip.

Actually trees are a great subject...but considering the source and presentation of "Survival" wasn't sure what the intent of the OP was.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27