Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: coffee or smokes post shtf?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    See there Rick, these youngsters don't really know what SHTF is! My wife would have been after me with a dull hatchet if I have gotten her PG at 46 and no amount of preps in the world would have saved me! I would have been a dead man, not walking, but running and screaming into the sunset, possibly never to return.

So these other forums of which he speaks, which are becoming fewer and fewer, are dealing with 30 year food storage, hording gold and silver, stockpiling massive amounts of weapons and ammo, medical supplies and body armor, all tucked away in a bunker under the garden shed,,,when what they should be addressing is proper use of birth control by middle aged couples.
    Other forums.....if this forum were like the others talking only mad max scenarios and arsenals of the newest high tech weaponry and gadgets I would have never even joined. That and this other forums are post after post of heated arguments over stupidity based on personal preference or regurgitated mumbo jumbo from someone else's opinion. This forum stays objective and entertaining without the moron factor.

Lame wolf, we'll bury you with a big can of coffee for your journey to the other side.

But what if you run into a Waltons scenario?

Its TEOTW and your job goes, then the money goes, then the wife tells you she is pregnant with child #8, and all the grown kids move back home and grandma and pa move in with you, then the chickens stop laying, and the cow goes dry and the mule dies,

and then things start getting really rough!

What you going to trade for a new mule?
    Well, lets see, last year I went to the ol' mans doctor and he used a knife to make sure I didn't have any more little ones. So, if my wife was PG, someone has some spanin to do.

As for what to trade for a new mule...I got 8 kids don't I.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

See there Rick, these youngsters don't really know what SHTF is! My wife would have been after me with a dull hatchet if I have gotten her PG at 46 and no amount of preps in the world would have saved me! I would have been a dead man, not walking, but running and screaming into the sunset, possibly never to return.

So these other forums of which he speaks, which are becoming fewer and fewer, are dealing with 30 year food storage, hording gold and silver, stockpiling massive amounts of weapons and ammo, medical supplies and body armor, all tucked away in a bunker under the garden shed,,,when what they should be addressing is proper use of birth control by middle aged couples.
    That right?.........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Coffee. I'd choose coffee. In a sense, I kinda sorta no longer smoke...ended up as one of those vape weirdos...but I know that I'd choose coffee anyway if I had to make a choice.

I'd think that in a wilderness survival scenario, I'd always be making some kind of tea out of something foraged from the wild, and could have the tea, and one might think I'd therefore choose smoke. But, coffee is coffee. Tea doesn't replace coffee. Not by a long shot. And I'd still miss the coffee ritual more than the smoke ritual.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Neither...as I can't stand either one!

well, as an ex smoker, i'd say coffee...but realistically, I'd probably be willing to trade that for shaving cream...withdrawal subsides eventually, but hair is going to keep growing from my face regardless. And anybody who is thinking of saying that maybe I won't care about shaving in a survival situation clearly wasn't around the last time I tried to grow a beard.

Hummmm, had a beard all my life......Kept it on the inside till about age 13....been on the outside ever since....
    Do trim it but shaving cream is for "face pies".

What about the dandelion root coffee substitute, I don't think I've saw anyone mention that. I don't drink coffee, and some people say there's a healthier greener way to smoke out Colorado way.
    Don't drink anymore so guess I don't have an opinion. But if I had to pick only one I'd pick the smokes I'm sure you could trade either easily but I see those as more valuable.
    And hunter63, I finally decided to let my hair and beard go I wanted to for years but girlfriend didn't like it she's outta the picture, and I look like a mix between a mountain man and a wizard haha. But how exactly did we get on the subject of beards?

Shaving cream was brought up......don't shave so do not consider shaving cream as a necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye View Post
    Neither...as I can't stand either one!
    You've been waiting almost a year to tell us that haven't you? Welcome to the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    You've been waiting almost a year to tell us that haven't you? Welcome to the forum.
    I guess so lol! I've done lots of reading in this forum and have learned A LOT- just never posted yet.

Now you have. Again, welcome.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Tobacco is super easy to raise, it comes up from the seed here.

I don't smoke but if the end was near, I may pick up the habit.

Coffee, I have about 10 plants, need to be re-potted, not producing yet.

Probably enough for some recreation.

You can raise your own stuff, even inside.

Wife gave me 2 avocado trees for Xmas, they will only grow inside here.

Rancher

I would rather have coffee than cigarettes in a post SHTF world. I'd live longer and I'd have something to barter with, because I don't really drink coffee all that much. That said, the nic fits would be brutal.

don't smoke, and don't drink much coffee. I could probably get by without either. Bourbon, on the other hand, is something I would have to make.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Don't worry, we folks in KY will have you fixed right up on both Bourbon and smokes. We have plenty of corn and tobacco both growing in profusion.

We can even shell the corn to make the mash and turn the corn cob into a pipe to smoke the tobacco!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Multi purpose. You gotta love that.

We have distilleries here that were started back when Daniel Boone was a kid. The first real industry in KY was whisky production, closely followed by planting tobacco.

People come down here to tour the Bourbon Trail for their vacations.

With the down turn of the tobacco industry vineyards have prospered here too. At Elk Creek you can shoot clays on a world renowned course, then finish your day with a gourmet meal and world class wine at the clubhouse.

We do clays like yuppies do golf. Imagine a country club centered around a sporting clays course and vineyard!

We have distilleries here that were started back when Daniel Boone was a kid. The first real industry in KY was whisky production, closely followed by planting tobacco.

People come down here to tour the Bourbon Trail for their vacations.

With the down turn of the tobacco industry vineyards have prospered here too. At Elk Creek you can shoot clays on a world renowned course, then finish your day with a gourmet meal and world class wine at the clubhouse.

We do clays like yuppies do golf. Imagine a country club centered around a sporting clays course and vineyard!

Hey, if the big markets are far off and you are using horses, corn ships a whole lot better as whiskey.

Quote Originally Posted by tundrabadger View Post
    Hey, if the big markets are far off and you are using horses, corn ships a whole lot better as whiskey.
    Horses had little to do with it. The whisky was floated down the Kentucky River on flat boats, then down the Ohio to New Orleans.

New Orleans was where the whisky was first called Bourbon. The barrels were stamped as product of Bourbon County and when the dealers ordered it they ordered the whisky from Bourbon County, or Bourbon Whisky.

Just about every farmer had a still and made several runs of liqueur each year. Not all of it was fit to drink, but they made it, sent it down the river and eventually someone would buy it.

You could not sell corn, it was ubiquitous, everyone grew corn. Not everyone could make good whisky.

Tobacco was the cash crop. Still is in many areas. And not everyone can grow good tobacco. The goal of every farmer back in the old days was to become a "master planter". George Washington nearly had a fit one year when the English buyers graded his tobacco as less than prime. It was a great insult to his honor and reputation.

I am not a farmer but I love the sight of acres and acres of tobacco stretching as far as the eye can see. it is the color of money!