Thread: Power Failure- I think we got lucky!

Default Power Failure- I think we got lucky!

In 16 years, our power system has been ultra reliable. Our Trace Inverter has never let us down. It was with a great deal of consternation that I watched our power system suddenly start kicking on and off the other night. A light and dishwasher which were on at the time cycled on and off with the inverter. Bummer I thought!

I'm pleased to report that the inverter is working just fine again. Here's why I think we got lucky. We have our wind turbine which sits on a 67 foot steel pipe tower. Our inverter started acting squirrelly during a lightning storm. I suspect, but have no way to know for sure, that we were building up a charge and likely were very close to a lightning strike. The inverter sensed something funky.

Fortunately, I realized the lightning storm and inverter problem might be related and I powered down everything pronto. I usually power down routinely during a major thunderstorm but this one didn't seem to be a big deal so I left the power on. I always unplug computers and critical equipment every lightning storm.

For what it's worth... we have some pretty vicious thunderstorms in the summer and although the lightning cracks all around, we have never been hit. I have lightning rods on the roof as well as chimneys with appropriate stranded copper cable to a grounding rod in the earth. Our electrical system is tied to the same point. We have a lightning arrestor indoors with our set up.

The turbine tower also has a lightning arrestor connected across the output of the turbine. I also have a heavy gauge stranded copper wire that runs to the top of the tower which is grounded. This wire is bent 90 degrees at the top and sticks out about 12 inches. I took the strands and splayed them out in kind of a roundish fan pattern. In theory, my understanding is this set up will bleed off any charges before the big bolt drops from the sky. So far-so good.
    Off Grid and Free-My Path to the Wilderness Available on Amazon www.inthewilderness.net

Your assessment sounds logical ....and yeah, could have bad....especially being out in the boonies.
    So spare equipment on order?

Actually here at "The Place" all we really "need" power for is the pump....have back up genset, then comes the refrig's, lights and media......
    But most everything can be back primitive in a few minutes.
    I would suspect you are in the same position.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yes, we would be fine if inverter died. We have a spare inverter. 24 VDC water pump as well as 24 VDC kitchen frig/freezer. Generator as backup. Of course, all useless if the house got zapped and it was flame on.
    Off Grid and Free-My Path to the Wilderness Available on Amazon www.inthewilderness.net

So, is there a go-to shelter in case of fire?

First time I ever heard of this was a story about Heimo and Edna Korth.....had a tent as a back up.....Place to go, in case.
    This was before they were featured in the Last Alaskans program

Absolutely. In the event the worst possible scenario happens at the worst time, the dead of winter, we have a shot at surviving. We have a storage shed and wood shed. If they burn up, we have survival gear in the woods. Two large containers filled with spare clothes, heavy sleeping bags, tent, flares etc etc. By my bed at night is my survival fanny pack with SAT phone so I can grab and run. Excellent question Hunter.

Like I said the story about Heimo's set up was an epiphany for me....had never thought of it.....
    No "911" when you are 300 miles from anywhere.

So simple, but not many people think of it.

Glad your system and house survived.....

Any future plans for possible changes or up-grades?

We had the survival gear set aside right from the beginning. The only problem we've had with it is when we went on vacation a few years ago and a bear got into our one storage container. Dragged out our good Northface down bags, tore them up a bit and dragged mine a couple hundred feet. When we returned our bags were soaking wet and needed some sewing surgery.

As for future plans... yep, one last adventure before we hit the check out counter. One more off-grid homestead to come. A little more accessible this time.

It's always great to hear for some one that is "doin' it"......rather than "Fixin' on it".
    Thanks...

Hunter, you are more than welcome. Thank you for the positive comments!