Thread: old guns

Default old guns

I have a few old guns and some young fellers want to trade. I'm not interested in trading, had them for a long time. So I thought heck I'll pick some old guns up on gunbroker or some such place. Good golly the price of old beater guns sure have climbed. wow, tis a shame
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Us old beaters get better with age. Wait..........what were we talking about?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Us old beaters get better with age. Wait..........what were we talking about?
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Zactly.............
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

wrong gun fellas lol
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

This is my rifle,... this is my gun ...this one is for shooting, ....and this is if for fun.

They are only expensive if they are selling....buying not so much....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I'm going to walk this way, and you stay right over there.

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    I have a few old guns and some young fellers want to trade. I'm not interested in trading, had them for a long time. So I thought heck I'll pick some old guns up on gunbroker or some such place. Good golly the price of old beater guns sure have climbed. wow, tis a shame
    Depends on how you look at it. Obviously, if you are trying to buy, not so great. But, historically, guns have held their value. They generally don't depreciate. So, if you buy a new one, and hold onto it for a long time.... better than putting money in the bank. Just as good as buying gold, except you can do something with the guns. The reason the price increases on them is because the Fed keeps printing money. Everything that doesn't go down in value over time, increases in price. The value didn't increase, it just takes more of those special pieces of paper to buy it.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

While that might be true over the long term, and only for specific guns, most are like vehicles, they depreciate as soon as they are fired, show wear or have parts replaced or refinished.

They reach a state of level value which remains standard to the rate of general inflation and holds for many years and that price is far below the initial retail price.

I have found that the standard book value of guns is much like other durable goods, as is the resale value. It is only on the rare occasions when one can buy a gun from someone that does not know its real value and sell it to someone that is desperate for that item that a radical profit can be had.

Sales due to economic pressure are the norm and the value of the gun over the counter or hand to hand is usually way below what you think the gun is worth.

I have run too many shops and sold too many guns to expect profit on any sale from the direction of owner to dealer, and I do not pay full retail for guns in face to face sales.

We have a book that lists values for almost everything and no dealer or person that buys sells or trades works without knowing the book value. The goal being to buy below book value and sell above book value, because most average people do not seem aware that the book exists. All they know is what they saw on "Gunbroker" or some other auction site for a "one in a million sale". And many of those sellers bid anonymously on their own guns to boost the prices.

The most common words out of dealers mouths these days is "Buddy you ain't on Gunbroker and I ain't paying Gunbroker price for your gun!".

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/33rd...tad/1108088366
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 06-07-2016 at 01:07 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Go to a show sometime and try to sell Grandpa's magic shotgun........Old.... so worth a lot of money.....Not really.
    But try to buy one and the "Magic" is back at full blown retail....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I've bought very few guns at shows or shops, a few but not many. Some of this old stuff that I've taken as boot on some trade years ago goes for more than I would have thought.