Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Transporting guns

Quote Originally Posted by backtobasics View Post
    I'm not worried. I live way up north, almost in Oregon, in a small conservative town. Plus I can drive half a mile to Big 5 sporting goods and walk out with a shot gun. No registration and no background checks.
    Have you already done this? I doubt you can buy one without a background check. Even in my bastion of conservativism, Big 5 still requires a background check for a shotgun.

You live close to Nevada.... here are the rules for Nevada http://www.wikihow.com/Buy-a-Gun-in-Nevada Incidentally, you have to be a Nevada resident to buy a gun in Nevada. A Cali drivers license won't work.

For Oregon...without an Oregon ID, good luck with that.

For California...http://www.wikihow.com/Buy-Firearms-in-California It is interesting that you don't need to be a resident to buy a shotgun. But you will need to have a background check and will need to register it.... and a whole lot of other stuff like waiting period and proof of gun lock/safe... etc.

Like I said...have you actually done what you say you can do? Maybe I am missing something. I don't want you to end up a permanent resident 8 miles dead east of Susanville CA.
    Last edited by finallyME; 06-08-2016 at 10:09 AM.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Have you already done this? I doubt you can buy one without a background check.
    He's not buying a gun, he's inheriting a gun, No FFL required.

Rancher

Quote Originally Posted by cow_rancher View Post

Rancher
    Read post #15

Rancher
    Read post #15
    Yeah, I doubt you anybody is walking into a big box sporting goods store, licensed to sell firearms and leaving with a firearm and no background check.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

This thread is showing the extreme lack of knowledge and belief in firearms law myth that people have, even inside their own state.

There seems to be a lot or transfer of west coast State law, from one entity to another and applying it to everyone, that does not apply.

There also seems a lot of transfer of the requirements of an FFL dealer to private citizens, who are not bound by the laws dealers must follow.

There also seems to be a good deal of misinterpretation of state law, which is written ambiguously just to promote that confusion.

It makes me thankful that I live in the state I chose to occupy just because of their gun laws.

Yep, I live where I do because of the gun laws of my state. If things change this place goes up for sale and I move.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 06-08-2016 at 04:54 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

We'll leave the light on for you, Kyrat.

So, what is great about Kentucky gun laws that other states don't get to enjoy?

Read post #15
    OK I read post #15, now what? FFL=Federal, it does not apply to person to person sales or inheritance, State laws... who cares.

Rancher

OK I read post #15, now what? FFL=Federal, it does not apply to person to person sales or inheritance, State laws... who cares.

Rancher
    The reason I asked you to read post #15 is because that is the one that I was replying to. If you notice, I quoted it in my comments. What that means is that I wasn't addressing him going to Michigan and getting his father's guns. What I was addressing was what he said in post #15, namely that he said he could go to a retailer (ie FFL dealer) and purchase a gun without a background check or registration. He didn't say he was going to buy from another person. Because he also said he lived close to the border of another state, although he didn't specify if he was referring to one, I added in the laws if he wanted to cross state lines and purchase from a retailer (ie FFL).

I won't speak for Kyrat but we are an on demand state. All you have to do is ask and have no felonies or pending restraining orders. We can carry any way we want, open or concealed. The only restrictions we have on firearms are what the feds impose with one exception. We can only hunt with handgun ammo or shotgun. No high powered rifles. Employers are not allowed to prevent employees from carrying in the vehicle on company property. We don't have to announce to a police officer but I usually do. We are a Castle doctrine state that does not require you to announce or retreat. You're on my property uninvited you are at risk. That extends to your vehicle as well no matter where your vehicles is. In short. We are a 2nd Amendment state.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I won't speak for Kyrat but we are an on demand state. All you have to do is ask and have no felonies or pending restraining orders. We can carry any way we want, open or concealed. The only restrictions we have on firearms are what the feds impose with one exception. We can only hunt with handgun ammo or shotgun. No high powered rifles. Employers are not allowed to prevent employees from carrying in the vehicle on company property. We don't have to announce to a police officer but I usually do. We are a Castle doctrine state that does not require you to announce or retreat. You're on my property uninvited you are at risk. That extends to your vehicle as well no matter where your vehicles is. In short. We are a 2nd Amendment state.
    What Rick said only we hunt with centerfire HP rifles too. Lots of public land and many public ranges, skeet/trap ranges, WMA hunting access.

The culture here is not that some people own guns, it is that EVERYONE owns guns and if you do not you are a bit weird.

I don't know the airline rules but I do know you can ship them to your local ffl for yourself, the only drawback would be you have to do paperwork and pass a background check if that concerns you.

Becoming tired and bored after two pages of speculation, myth and abject fear of TPTB, I decided to go to the ATF website and I found that this question was among the top ten asked and is easily explained on their website as question #6.

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/...aspdf/download

Any person can ship a firearm to himself from one state to another. Long guns can be MAILED. Pistols must use a common carrier such as Fed-x or UPS.

That is the ATF explanation and not the speculation of the internet, believe it or not.

Now I am sure there will be continued discussion, and objection to the ATF instructions, and speculation that it is all a trap, or that California is different due to not being part of the U.S., for what reason I can not comprehend.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 06-10-2016 at 03:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    What Rick said only we hunt with centerfire HP rifles too. Lots of public land and many public ranges, skeet/trap ranges, WMA hunting access.

The culture here is not that some people own guns, it is that EVERYONE owns guns and if you do not you are a bit weird.
    Sounds like a great place to live. Utah might be more restrictive. We can hunt with high powered rifles, but we have to have a background check to purchase a firearm. It is a very fast check, and just checks for felonies, if you were dishonorably discharged or if you are on parole. We can open carry without a permit, but it has to be 2 steps to firing, meaning no round in chamber, but can have a loaded mag. We have to have a permit to conceal carry. Utah is also a Castle doctrine state. Utah has a LOT of public land, and did I mention that the county I live in is 2nd in the nation for gun ownership (well, what they can actually measure).

Have you already done this? I doubt you can buy one without a background check. Even in my bastion of conservativism, Big 5 still requires a background check for a shotgun.

You live close to Nevada.... here are the rules for Nevada http://www.wikihow.com/Buy-a-Gun-in-Nevada Incidentally, you have to be a Nevada resident to buy a gun in Nevada. A Cali drivers license won't work.

For Oregon...without an Oregon ID, good luck with that.

For California...http://www.wikihow.com/Buy-Firearms-in-California It is interesting that you don't need to be a resident to buy a shotgun. But you will need to have a background check and will need to register it.... and a whole lot of other stuff like waiting period and proof of gun lock/safe... etc.

Like I said...have you actually done what you say you can do? Maybe I am missing something. I don't want you to end up a permanent resident 8 miles dead east of Susanville CA.
    I have not done it and yes there may be a background check but I don't think there's a waiting period. I also own property in Nevada and had lived on it at one time. I do have a Nevada ID.
    I'm back from Michigan now and the issue has been worked out and I feel good about it. One of the guns is a 16 gage made in the late 1800s. I'll say no more it's handled.
    GOD FAVORS NO GROUP ONLY RELIGIONS DO THAT

The reason I asked you to read post #15 is because that is the one that I was replying to. If you notice, I quoted it in my comments. What that means is that I wasn't addressing him going to Michigan and getting his father's guns. What I was addressing was what he said in post #15, namely that he said he could go to a retailer (ie FFL dealer) and purchase a gun without a background check or registration. He didn't say he was going to buy from another person. Because he also said he lived close to the border of another state, although he didn't specify if he was referring to one, I added in the laws if he wanted to cross state lines and purchase from a retailer (ie FFL).
    I was basically trying to let everyone know that although California is liberal this area is far from it. Yes state laws do apply but our county may hand out more concealed permits than any other county. I have not done it but I'm pretty sure I could be back back home with a gun in my hand legaly in 45 min, but I could be wrong. Background checks yes, waiting period for a shot gun, I don't think so. Don't matter really because I've got it handled. ald

BTB I am glad you got this worked out but be advised that the thread is not over.

There will be endless discussion for an extended period, and the possibility that after the thread goes dead it may be resurrected in a couple of years when some newbie digs through the archives.

So if you have it handled just ignore all the advice you get from this point as the members that never read an entire thread jump in and give you advice on what you have already finished.

Do not feel like you re being targeted. We have been around long enough for some of our members to have gone to the big campground in the sky and people still bring up their old threads and give them advice and they have been dead for a year or two.

OK ------ let me tell you what you should do.

just kidding
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    OK ------ let me tell you what you should do.

just kidding
    I rarely do what I'm told but sometimes I do what I should. Depends on the situation. Yep one of those guys.

simple answer is to have a dealer in Michigan box them up, and ship them to a dealer in California. Legal, easy, quick, inexpensive.