Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Transporting guns

Default Transporting guns

OK guys I am not up on gun laws. My father has cancer and will be gone soon. He lives in Michigan, I'm in California. I'm flying out this week because he doesn't have much time left. He has some rifles for me all of them are legal in Ca. The question is can I fly them back with me or should they be sent? I don't fly often and have no idea what the rules are. Any info would be great TIA MIKE
    GOD FAVORS NO GROUP ONLY RELIGIONS DO THAT

Mike, I have no idea but if I were in your position I would contact whatever airline your using and get their procedure as well as TSA. I would also get names, dates and times of those conversations and if possible email documentation so you have it all in writing.

Be sure to get documentation that you now own them ....for starters.
    Like a letter saving 'I am leaving these ."..list...".to my son, with description....

Contact the air-line....see what their rules are, most likely checked luggage?...as noted.

All else fails, contact a FFL dealer on both ends and have them shipped?......Gonna cost some.

Rent a car and drive them home?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Several rifles? As said above, you might be better off to rent a car WITH A TRUNK and drive them back rather than trying to properly case, lock, etc., declare several rifles and bring them on a plane.

I believe that the far left "progressive" legislators of Calif., have also dictated that you must register your firearms with the police within a few days after you bring them into Calif.

If you have time before you go to Michigan, call the Attorney General's office in Sacramento and get the official firearms laws so you do not end up in prison. The far left dictators of Calif. hate, loathe, and despise honest gunowners and like nothing better than finding some miniscule excuse to throw them in jail.

Sorry about your father.

Good luck.

S.m.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

If airlines in the states are anything like airlines here, those are going to be checked luggage....if there are several of them, there might be a more economical way of transporting them....if there's one thing airlines love it's grabbing you by the ankles and shaking you until money comes out, and excess baggage fees are an easy way of doing that.

Thanks guys< I'll check with the local gun dealer. It wil probably only be two, 3 at most. Not sure what he has. One I think is my grandfathers 30/30 and maybe a shot gun.

If you intend to ship them with you by air then each firearm must be in a locked HARD SIDED case. I would suggest the lock be TSA compliant so they can check it if they choose to. You will have to declare each firearm as checked baggage. Depending on who you fly with that could wind up being very expensive. Check your airline to determine what their rules are on checked baggage and what the fees are. Empty mags can be in the case with firearms but I'm not certain on the ammo. As I recall, smaller caliber can be boxed and in the same case. Check the TSA page.

I think I would avoid the hassle and have a firearms dealer in Michigan ship them to a firearms dealer in California.

My condolences on your father's disease and prognosis.

Next summer I'll be going back to pick up his 62 Olds Starfire so I could just throw them in the trunk and drive them back. Along with anything else I want. I have lots of family there to hold stuff for me.

Quote Originally Posted by backtobasics View Post
    Next summer I'll be going back to pick up his 62 Olds Starfire so I could just throw them in the trunk and drive them back. Along with anything else I want. I have lots of family there to hold stuff for me.
    That sounds like a very workable plan to me. It'll save you a lot of hassle and headaches.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Quote Originally Posted by backtobasics View Post
    I'd make the trip just for the Old's Starfire....anything else is a bonus.....

Backtobasics, do not forget that as a resident of Calif., you may not legally go to another state and pick up guns that belonged to another person, no matter it is your father. Therefore, if possible, have your father put a codicil in his will willing you those guns. Then it is legal, although as I said before, you'll have to register them with the State of Calif. Make sure you have a copy of the will showing you received the guns legally in another State.

Just a suggestion.

S.M.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I'd make the trip just for the Old's Starfire....anything else is a bonus.....
    The Starfire is the main reason for going back.

Quote Originally Posted by Seniorman View Post
    Backtobasics, do not forget that as a resident of Calif., you may not legally go to another state and pick up guns that belonged to another person, no matter it is your father. Therefore, if possible, have your father put a codicil in his will willing you those guns. Then it is legal, although as I said before, you'll have to register them with the State of Calif. Make sure you have a copy of the will showing you received the guns legally in another State.

Just a suggestion.

S.M.
    California can kiss my a$$, but I will have the willed to me. Thanks for the idea.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

How does California know who owned the guns or when they came into possession of the guns?

And is one now required to carry proof of ownership around when they go shooting in California?

I think there are some details that are going into the myth category in regard to California law.

Besides, if they can not catch 2.5 million illegal immigrants that fail to register proper paperwork I am sure not going to worry about Grandpas shotgun.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    How does California know who owned the guns or when they came into possession of the guns?

And is one now required to carry proof of ownership around when they go shooting in California?

I think there are some details that are going into the myth category in regard to California law.

Besides, if they can not catch 2.5 million illegal immigrants that fail to register proper paperwork I am sure not going to worry about Grandpas shotgun.
    I'm not worried. I live way up north, almost in Oregon, in a small conservative town. Plus I can drive half a mile to Big 5 sporting goods and walk out with a shot gun. No registration and no background checks.

Much easier to chase after law abiding citizens trying to do the right thing.....than illegal aliens, drug runners, and criminals.

Without delving too deep and causing me to move the thread.......In one case the want to catch whom they consider law breakers and in the other they don't like the law so there is no breaking of it in their minds.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Maybe because he just told NSA, by posting it on the internet. They might could arrange for Kali officials to be watching for him................ news at eleven.

(ya I'm paranoid)

Quote Originally Posted by minitruck83 View Post
    Maybe because he just told NSA, by posting it on the internet. They might could arrange for Kali officials to be watching for him................ news at eleven.

(ya I'm paranoid)
    I thought of that before posting. Do you have any idea how much man power, time and money to catch me? Really for a shot gun that I could purchase legally and then drive 5 miles out of town and shot all I want. They have no idea when or even if those guns will ever make it here. Hell I'm not even sure. I guess they could tap the phones and put a tail on me for the next few years. Even if all that who's to say I haven't had that gun for 20 years.

I don't think I would worry too much.....bigger fish and all.

Some time we tend to over think things....and plain old common sense kinda stops.