Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Storing Tobacco Long Term

If anyone needs an incentive to quit volunteer to care for a terminal lung cancer patient. It will set your head straight poste haste.

Walkingtree, like you, I like that tobacco taste and am picky. My preference is additive free like American Spirit. For my 50th bday my daughter and son in law got me a vape pipe because he had quit using one. I've experimented with a lot of different juices for it but the best I've been able to do is use it at certain times like in the evening after work, road trips and working inside somewhere I can't smoke but can take a puff or two in some maintenance closet or such. I guess it helps me smoke less but ive never been able to bridge the gap with it. It's just not the same. The worst for me, my morning coffee routine. It just ain't the same without a good smoke.

(Manwithnoname) The reason I went ahead and told the story in my longer post is because what's weird for me is I didn't even try to quit. Didn't want to. Made fun of vaping. Then suddenly I'm quit without any will power at all. And love the vape...does it for me so completely it freaks me out.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Hey man, that's awesome, wish it worked like that for me. Question, is yours the penlight type or do you have the square battery pack thing? Have had a coupla people tell me they started with one like mine but they switched to the square battery thing and that did it for them cause it hit harder and more like a real smoke.

Manwithnoname:

Ok, sorry, another long post ahead. Is necessary if I'm trying to really answer in a way that shares useful info and helps others. It's gonna get a bit geeky and odd. Cause odd is just how I roll. Lots of this may seem like unnecessary jabber, but I know it just helps to paint a context for useful insight. Going through these paces will make a person think about how it all applies to them individually.

Looking at vaping, I had to understand my particular smoking habit. Why I smoke, why I like it, etc. I already understood it though long ago.

Part of this touches on addiction in general...but I'm not going to get into that much otherwise here...for me, I've always had the impulse (without trying, no will power) to not get into something just to get some kind of 'fix' or 'chase a feeling' - if I wasn't enjoying it, I wasn't going to do it. Doesn't seem to be any point. One possible exception is the element of "needing something to feel like my day's complete" on one occasion, in a manner of speaking - For example, after a few drinks, I get tired of it. No possibility of drinking too much. But there was one very short period in my life when I got into the mindset that I needed to have a couple of beers each day, literally just for the sake of it, in order to feel like my day was 'complete'. I quickly caught the uselessness of this, and got out of that rut after a few days. Dodged one easily, I guess.

I mention this one exception-element though because there is the fact of how I enjoy my coffee ritual...and my smoking ritual. Such that it's a required part of my day. But it honestly isn't the same thing.

See, to find a "vape strategy" (one that works a certain way, etc) that would work for me, required knowing what I got out of smoking. And how to translate this over to vaping. (and this therefore may work differently for someone else).

Consider the fact that I smoked regularly for decades. Pipe sometimes, and cigarettes mostly, yet I didn't have smoker's breath, clothes or house or fingers didn't smell like it (non smokers would be surprised when I lit up), didn't cough a lot, didn't get short of breath and could go jogging, didn't get sick periodically. I always attributed this to how my habit didn't seem to be the same as a typical smoker's, and I wanted to enjoy a smoke if I was going to bother. Enjoy it a certain way. And it might be hard to envision, but needing to enjoy the ritual regularly really can be different from needing to do it regularly just for the sake of it, though it sounds the same or like I'm making that "addict's excuse".

The following things are natural. I didn't force these things, they were always just how I needed things or I wasn't enjoying smoking:

- I never smoked to have something to do with my fingers, because of stress or nervousness. Never to relax...in fact, I had to be relaxed first before lighting up. (Also, since I didn't smoke when my body needed oxygen after exertion, or immediately before some exertion, I'm sure that didn't hurt my fitness.)

- Never in order to just kill 10 minutes here and 10 minutes there. Can't stand that.

- I can't stand doing anything while smoking. Not even walking leisurely down the sidewalk. I can't even have one burning somewhere to pick up occasionally while doing something.

- Long ago I realized that for me having a smoke is like sitting down and having a quiet reflective cup of hot tea. I literally have to set aside some time, for that exclusively. And not be rushed. If someone is telling me to take 10 minutes and get it done, I won't bother. That's not enough. It's not a wham-bam for me. It even bothers me for someone to engage me in casual chit chat during a smoke - don't make me talk, I'm smoking here, go away. Like trying to eat and someone asks you something right when you put a bite into your mouth, or making your food get cold cause you're jibber jabbering instead of eating. (I've even had this humorous notion that a smoker's voice begins to sound a certain way because they always talk while exhaling.)

- I have to have something to drink with a smoke (I always suspected this is why I never had smoker's breath). Tea, soda, milk, anything. Even if I was craving a smoke, I literally would not smoke unless I got something to sip with it. It was like I needed that olfactory counterpoint. If I didn't have something to sip, wouldn't even be tempted. Even if smokers were all around me puffing away. Someone could pay me money, and I wouldn't smoke.

- Know how they say beggars can't be choosey? Not true with me. If it wasn't a cigarette I liked, even if I was having a nic fit, I wouldn't bother. No point.

- If in my house, some windows have to be open, according to the direction of the breeze (I'm sure this kept my clothes and house from smelling). But I even didn't like to smoke indoors somewhere else if there wasn't some ventilation.

- The air has to be still. If outdoors, I have to find a place where the wind doesn't mess with me. Ahab in Moby Dick is described as preferring to face into a strong wind and letting his pipe smoke wash over his face. I'm the opposite. Part of what I like is the physical feeling of inhaling, and then exhaling, the smoke. If the air is moving around, can't do that. It messes with the dynamics. People will watch me inhale then exhale, and say that I smoke a cigarette like it was a joint. This was always a good laugh, but then I'd tell them to stop paying so much attention to me and go away, I'm smoking here.

Because of all this, I never smoked a pack or two a day. A pack would last me up to 3 days, without trying. I never chained smoked at all. Wouldn't light a second smoke shortly after the first one. Because I enjoyed it when I smoked, and made it a reflective cup-of-hot-tea type of occasion, I was satisfied. So I didn't need one again for a while. And whenever I was in the mood for one, if I couldn't smoke according to these conditions, I wouldn't bother. Wasn't tempted just because of some need for nicotine. I didn't do any of this for this purpose, with any effort to control my habit...that's just how I needed to enjoy smoking anyway.

- A psychologist might say that smoking is "an affirmation of life". I always said that smoking is "celebrating the moment".

(continued below)
    Last edited by WalkingTree; 06-05-2016 at 04:59 PM.

- William Arthur Ward

Ok, so...

I figure that the keys for converting to vaping includes an e-juice that freaking tastes and feels like tobacco...as much as it can, at least. Not some darned fruit flavor crap. And I didn't want any of that sweetness either. Also, for me at least, I need something that 'puts out' enough 'smoke' to see. I not only want to feel it, but seeing it as I exhale is a kind of psychological bio-feedback. But I also didn't want some big expensive over complicated crap that I had to mess around with all the time (Also didn't want to get sucked into some kind of parts compatibility or non-availability or maintenance issues after a purchase). Some apparently like to tinker with theirs all of the time, and that's how they quit. Because they became tinkers with their machine. But that's not for me. I want to see my exhale, but I don't need a cloud. I just mean more than a weak almost invisible mist. Can't stand those cloud-makers like they're seeking attention or competing with other cloud-makers. That much just isn't necessary. (When visiting various vape shops during my "research", I found that every shop seems to have that one token customer who seems to live in the shop, and they're obnoxious in some way or another - went into one place, posed my initial question when the guy asked me if he could help me, and the only other guy in the place, a customer with some kind of monster that looked like a darned rifle or something, took his big impressive noisy hit and blew in my direction, making a cloud that filled the entire shop as if he was going to impress me and make me want something like what he got. Had to move myself to the other side of the shop taking the guy helping with me.)

I ended up with something like this (my first and last purchase, thanks to my research and picking people's brains) -

http://4aceswholesale.com/cig668-mas...quid-vaporizer

(I'm not advertising. That's just the first site with a pic that would post well here after a google search. Mine isn't even exactly like this one. Not much different though.)

About 4 1/2 inches long, and 'puts out' great.

My original idea was something 'ergonomic' in a certain way like a tobacco pipe. As well as small and simple. The ergonomic part didn't turn out that way though - didn't think about how I have to push the button versus how to hold it. I still love it though anyway, that part wasn't a big deal. But I replaced the round metal mouth piece with a flat plastic one - like with a tobacco pipe.

It is what they call a 'mechanical' versus a 'digital'. Literally just a battery, and a matter of completing a circuit when you push the button. That's it. Like the difference between a 70's truck, and a 2000's truck. This thing is extremely reliable in every way. Quick and easy to fill and replace the wick. The wick units are simple inexpensive things that aren't hard to find, and if I want a second tank that's not hard to find either, nor expensive. Total initial price with charger as in the pic - about 50 bucks.

I don't want something with a square battery pack as you're probably referring to. Can't hold that for periods of time comfortably and do my 'reflective' ritual as I like to. Those things last longer on charges, but charge life just isn't an issue...versus it becoming more like I have to pick up a device to 'get my fix' and lay down all the time, and worry about transporting it and protecting it, etc. (found a tiny padded digital camera case and use that for my pipe so I don't have to worry about carrying it around with me somewhere away from home.) I keep two batteries...one charged, and one in the pipe. Might have to change it every-other day. No big deal.

Now...here is the difference between when I first got it just to play with but was frustrated with it and put it down for a month or so, and how I "figured it out" to make it 'work right'. Firstly, e-juice flavor. One by the same name at one shop isn't quite the same as from another. So far, there is only one place that has what I really like, but they're doing fine and I'm not worried about not being able to get it in the future. But anyway, it takes some time and experiments, and even home mixing maybe of two kinds that you buy, to find what really does it for you. Some places are even worthless - feels like you're vaping water mist, no flavor, no feeling. Secondly, I just didn't understand those little things having to do with how to operate it and 'fiddle' with it...

...I said that I don't like something I have to tinker with much, and it may sound like that's what this is. But it's not. I eventually equated it with occasionally filling my zippo or replacing it's flint. It's like that. I didn't yet know what ohm-resistance wick works best like I like. And how to take it apart when filling it or replacing the wick and putting it back together. And how to tell if my charge was low or the wick needed changing. And how long a battery was supposed to last, or how long a wick was supposed to last. Simple things like that. But also how to 'use' it...it's all more like "holding your tongue the right way" versus being able to explain it. But now it's like a little firecracker whereas initially it seemed to have all kinds of problems and seemed like a waste...don't know what I'm doing right, but I'm rolling with it.

Have to replace a wick unit every several days. A pack of 5 is about 10 bucks. A 5 dollar thingy of e-juice lasts about a month. The two batteries have been back and forth in the charger and in the pipe for 6 months now. As far as expense is concerned, I think that's good. And I'm puffing on this thing every day.

And in the winter or summer, when the air or heat is on, I don't have to open the windows or go outside. And that's without my place having that sickly sweet smell either since the stuff I like doesn't have so much of that in it (every single vape shop I've been in is nasty, because of the accumulated e-juice sweetener or vegetable glycerin everywhere).

Part of my initial frustrating maintenance issue had to do with taking it apart and putting it back together. And understanding that I need to do it every so often even when not needing to change the wick or refill. Just needs some tiny little places cleaned with a fingernail sized piece of paper towel and the below-mentioned pipe cleaner.

I got some pipe cleaners (how poetic or ironic) and use one for certain things. Clean under running tap water and reuse. I take this thing apart, clean certain parts, refill and/or replace wick, and put back together in about 60 seconds without hurrying. Maybe once every-other day (other than replacing or refilling). Not a big deal. Was just a matter of figuring out how to do it and what needs to be done, as well as how to use it during operation in the first place. With anything else I guess.
    Last edited by WalkingTree; 06-05-2016 at 05:09 PM.

- William Arthur Ward

Do you offer a Cliff Notes version of posts?

LOL......
    Clif Notes...Good one.
    I just "liked" ( passed tense) smoking.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I vacuum sealed a few pounds of cigarette tobacco, then a couple pounds of home grown cured tobacco leaves to see how it would be in a year. Both survived just fine. The store bought cig tobacco tasted just a bit stale, but it was fairly cheap stuff to start with so it might have been that way before I sealed it up.

I would go with small packages, though, since you wouldn't want to have a whole pound drying out at once, and ~1 ounce packets are essentially small bills in barter. (Plus you can trade with a couple of small packets without anyone seeing how much more you've got in your stash. Good plan for gasoline, coffee, matches, batteries and other items, too. I used to vacuum seal 6 rounds of .357 hunting handloads, and single mag fills for other guns as well, simply so I could grab x number of complete reloads on the way to a hunt. Trading 10 rounds of .22LR or one Garand clip of .30-06 without potential looters finding out you have several full boxes worth buried in the woods could save your life.)

Quote Originally Posted by NightSG View Post
    I vacuum sealed a few pounds of cigarette tobacco, then a couple pounds of home grown cured tobacco leaves to see how it would be in a year. Both survived just fine. The store bought cig tobacco tasted just a bit stale, but it was fairly cheap stuff to start with so it might have been that way before I sealed it up.

I would go with small packages, though, since you wouldn't want to have a whole pound drying out at once, and ~1 ounce packets are essentially small bills in barter. (Plus you can trade with a couple of small packets without anyone seeing how much more you've got in your stash. Good plan for gasoline, coffee, matches, batteries and other items, too. I used to vacuum seal 6 rounds of .357 hunting handloads, and single mag fills for other guns as well, simply so I could grab x number of complete reloads on the way to a hunt. Trading 10 rounds of .22LR or one Garand clip of .30-06 without potential looters finding out you have several full boxes worth buried in the woods could save your life.)
    Now that tip is the best I have heard in a very long time......Very good advice....
    Applies to cash stash as well.....don't just carry big bills for emergencies....The guy that pulls you out of a ditch isn't gonna make change.

Rep sent.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Default Try to use in a effective way

Though tobacco can easily be preserved for long term use as compared to vape e-liquids when using ***Removed Link****.
    Last edited by Rick; 09-03-2019 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Removed Link

Dang! Did you just try to spam us? Seriously? BAM! Outta here.

Well, you can hardly blame him. His habit is baaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

How did my thread get resurrected three years after I posted it?

This thing is so old, I forgot I posted it.

Thanks for waking me up on this forum anyway...
    Last edited by Adventure Wolf; 10-11-2019 at 08:37 PM.