Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storing Tobacco Long Term

Default Storing Tobacco Long Term

I know this is a food section, but I didn't know exactly where to put this thread. Since food storage is similar to my topic, maybe I can place it here. It's a similar topic.

I have come into ownership of a large amount of chewing tobacco - not dip but home made twist. It's the kind of tobacco that you have to take a bite off of.

I was thinking about vaccum sealing it and sticking it in my freezer or cellar. Is this a practical?
    Last edited by Adventure Wolf; 06-03-2016 at 02:36 AM.

I would think that vacuum sealing and keeping it in a cool place would be effective.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'm not a chewer but have known smokers that keep their cartons both in the freezer and fridge. I think the vacuum packing would be a must but I don't know how freezing would affect things. I tend to agree more with Crashes idea of keeping it cool and add in a dark place. I would think mold would be your enemy since I'm sure you're wanting to retain all the tobaccos moisture. Have you tried to research this further?

I don't use chewing tobacco but I do smoke a pipe. Cellering pipe tobacco is quite popular because the flavor changes over time. Mason Jars are quite popular for this.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Factory recommendations for shelf life on tobacco products is 6 months.

That is duration of time on the shelf. The factories flash freeze some of their products and do not start the count until they take the goods from the freezer.

The enemy of tobacco products is drying out. They require a certain level of humidity to taste right and that level of humidity will promote mold growth with time. So to preserve tobacco one must freeze the product or place it in an air tight, sterile environment.

Or treat it with chemicals.

My G-grand dad made his own chew (twist) and kept it in the smoke house hanging on thin poles and he would blast it with hickory smoke several times a year. It would keep from one harvest to the next from what I remember.

There are also natural bugs that infest tobacco products and they will turn your stash into a pile of bug poo after a couple of years if it is just left laying around.

Best recommendation is freezing it.

BTW, most of that home made chew will work for pipe or cigarettes if you allow it to dry a little and crumble it a bit. You might want to get a stash of papers or keep some cheap pipes around.

Even in a short term disaster tobacco can be a good trade item. Most folks buy one pack at a time and never have a reserve stock. In 24 hours they are going to find out just how nicotine addicted they really are.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 06-03-2016 at 12:27 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Temping to just avoid this thread.....as an smoker that can't smoke anymore....
    That said....I would think the twist chew would be much better to attempt to store if it hasn't had a lot of added chemicals added....the cool dark place (cellar) comes to mind.

The reason I say this is simply personnel experience....menthol cigarettes get really nasty if left for a year in your hunting jacket, worst of the pack is opened.
    On the other hand, non-menthol cigarette get dry and harsh....but smoke-able in the same situation....depending how bad you want a smoke.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I don't know Hunter, to me menthol fresh of the assembly line is nasty haha.

I have the problem of being the guy that chews, dips, smokes and drinks way to much. Whenever I start researching this stuff, I always have a brief moment when I'm like "I should quit" and then the thought passes as quickly as a hound dog's productivity. I just had one of those moments.

I'm thinking that I am going to put some in the cellar, some in the pantry and some in the freezer. Then when I get another batch, I will know the answer to this.

But after reading more stuff this morning and listening to you all, I think the cellar is the best place. With that said, experimentation will never hurt.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Temping to just avoid this thread.....as an smoker that can't smoke anymore.....
    Know what you mean Hunter. I quit in 2004 and have not had one since that time.

I'm sitting here right now craving a Camel. It's not like AA apparently, because talking about it does not "help".

Adventure Wolf, why are you going to put them in the cellar when the factory freezes them as best storage?
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 06-03-2016 at 01:57 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Know what you mean Hunter. I quit in 2004 and have not had one since that time.

I'm sitting here right now craving a Camel. It's not like AA apparently, because talking about it does not "help".

Adventure Wolf, why are you going to put them in the cellar when the factory freezes them as best storage?

The problem becomes that I don't know if freezing it will dry it out.

That's what my thoughts were too AW, the freeze might dry it out but I very well could be wrong. I guess even if it did it would be better than mold....unless of course you like your penicillin straight from the source.

AW....
    I know where your thinking is coming from...typical addiction thinking.....Been there, done that....and still think about it every day.
    I always wanted to be sure that I never, ever, run out....and will go to great lengths to stash packs in coats, vehicles, buy in bulk......to save money.

But all the while knowing that it's not good for me.....so should just quit....but decide maybe next week, or a New Years resolution, just some day down the road....
    By telling my self that.....Makes it a resolution of sorts like that settled so till "that day" gets here....I am guilt free.
    Then that "day" comes.....we start all over again.

Many friends do the "If I buy one pack/can at a time, I can control my smoking/dipping....."
    But then "make a gas station run at midnight....because they ran out...or were down to a couple of smokes and get really nervous that it was a long time till morning.

I was down to a about 5 smokes a day after my first 2 angioplasties and stents (over 11 years)....but the Doc knew I was still smoking....and basically said...."I am leaving it up to you, just smoke less or you are going to have problems".

The last time it was "You need a by-pass, and we are keeping you here till surgery".....Laid there from Tues at 11;30 to the following Monday, then had surgery.....That was a long week.

That hurt me,... bad.... and I did get thru it, but hurt so bad I didn't want to cough, eat or move.....
    After 2 weeks time, the chemical physical addiction was mostly over...or at least the pain pills took off the edge.....so just the mental part left to deal with.....so was in the "one day at a time" mode.

That was Dec of 2013.....still do the works out 3 days a week.......No guarantee, but don't want a pacemaker if I can help it.

I'm not telling you this to try to change you....I would not listen to anyone, nor will I preach.....But it did give me a "Reason to Quit....a Big reason".... that I knew I should have years ago.....

And....I never have worry that I have to save, preserve, plan,......to get my next pack of smokes, dip, twist, or grow my own tobacco plants.......So I never, ever run out.

...And gives me $5200 bucks a year to buy gear, guns knives.....

The thing with smoking...the real thing, as I see it, is it's not just a habit or an addiction. It's a hobby, after a fashion...so when I was smoking, my pipe wasn't just a means to get some nicotine in my system, although that was certainly enjoyable, it was a preoccupation. I bought different blends of tobacco to taste the difference, I had really firm opinions about types of pipe, I had something to do with my hands while I was on my way to the bus stop or walking the dog. So when a heart attack took my uncle, who was a pretty committed smoker, at 56 and I said "to hell with this, i'm 30 and 30 is the age when I stop smoking", I wasn't just walking away from a bad habit. The nicotine I mostly don't miss anymore, but I DO miss having something to do with my hands when I'm out walking.

That said, AW, a screw top tin should help to keep it fresh longer, and if you decide to get some cheap pipes, you can't go wrong with corncob....makes for a nice, sweet smoke, as good as you'd get with a pipe that costs 6 times as much. just get one with hardwood insert at the bottom.

Tobacco for me is an addiction and a hobby. Like you Tundra, I try out different things. I try different dips, different chews, different brands of cigarettes (Marlboro, Kool, Camel) I like to change up the brand and the type all the time but I prefer Kool Greens, Marlboro Reds, Grizzy Wintergreen, and Red Man.

I have tried smoking a pipe before, but if I prefer cigars.

Same thing with drinking. I like craft beer and bourbon but I do like try different things.

Good advice Hunter.

I had the interesting experience of quitting without trying and ending up vaping...interesting because: I loved smoking, didn't want to quit, didn't try to quit...

(I never smoked heavily - always thought many of the problems smokers have is just smoking too much - but I smoked regularly nonstop for decades, and had no intention of stopping)

...it happened because I got sick (I have the fortune of only getting sick very rarely) just a kind of cold/flu. But that's weird because I got sick before, and didn't smoke while sick but just started again after I got better. But this time, I had already gotten a vape, so while sick I played around with it - I only got it because I'm picky on what my cigarette tastes like, and was wondering if I could get a certain taste from vape. Well, I hadn't "figured it out" yet, and kind of gave up on it...one thing I didn't want to get sucked into was having to screw around with a vape pipe too much. I just wanted it to be simple and work. But while I was sick I messed with it some more and figured out how to make it work properly. (because of why I smoked, if I wasn't enjoying the cigarette, I wouldn't smoke. Despite any nic addition. So I think that my body knew therefore the only way to make me quit was to make me not enjoy it anymore. Somehow this time getting sick was different.)

Just to add to the understanding of my habit and my experience - I hated even the idea of liquid-smoking raspberry or snickerdoodle cookie or pepsi. I can't comprehend how smokers like that stuff when they turn to vaping. I sought out tobacco oriented e-juices.

So, I ended up "figuring it out" and now my vape pipe works wonderfully. Turns out my research before my original purchase worked out the way I intended. I now have a simple small thing that operates very well with little maintenance jibber jabber and very low expense compared to cigarettes, giving me the kind of 'smoke' that I want and with flavors I like. One thing that was hard to figure out is that all flavors, even tobacco ones, have the potential for a sickly sweetness to them that I couldn't stand...but I found one that doesn't have that. No sweetness. Just literal smokiness. And this just from a common vape shop, no special order or home mixing.

Since middle of last November I've tried a cigarette 3 times. And I can't even begin to enjoy it. Two half-drag attempts and I put it out willingly. For some reason it's not like before after I got better from being sick. It is on a level of nastiness that I never could imagine. Repulsive. No chance of "readjusting" to it. But my vape pipe ended up actually doing it for me completely. It's not simply a substitute that does just good enough...but it's even "awesome" when it comes to smoking enjoyment and satisfaction. I prefer it by a long shot. For me, it's like all of the good flavors of smoke, and the feeling of inhaling and exhaling it...minus all of the bad elements of the flavor or aftereffects. Or something like that. It's like it is what smoking always was supposed to be, but never was...if making such a statement doesn't sound weird.

Anyway, the point of this story is to lead to this - aside from needing a tiny solar panel for a charger and reserve batteries, in any kind of collapse having a stock of e-juice and preserving it is a whole different situation, much simpler. The stuff lasts much longer, and just goes in the fridge. Of course, making the stuff later on when shops no longer exist is something that a person would have to figure out.
    Last edited by WalkingTree; 06-03-2016 at 09:52 PM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

My GF smoked a pipe, as did my father form time to time.
    GF used to put a 1/2 apple in his tobacco jar,"to keep it moist"...guess it worked?

Did find this....
    https://www.rollingpaperdepot.com/pa...-Tobacco-Fresh

As far as something to do with hands goes.....LOL....
    That's an interesting point, from a comment an old factory Superintendent related to me once, after he interviewed a few new prospect employees.
    "Never hire a pipe smoker....they just f^$% with their pipe all day.....pack, tamp, light, suck, smack on hand, pack some more, light again, suck.....mess with it......" (Back in them days you could smoke in the factory)
    Last edited by hunter63; 06-03-2016 at 10:58 PM. Reason: added link.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    My GF smoked a pipe, as did my father form time to time.
    GF used to put a 1/2 apple in his tobacco jar,"to keep it moist"...guess it worked?

Did find this....
    https://www.rollingpaperdepot.com/pa...-Tobacco-Fresh

As far as something to do with hands goes.....LOL....
    That's an interesting point, from a comment an old factory Superintendent related to me once, after he interviewed a few new prospect employees.
    "Never hire a pipe smoker....they just f^$% with their pipe all day.....pack, tamp, light, suck, smack on hand, pack some more, light again, suck.....mess with it......" (Back in them days you could smoke in the factory)
    Good info. Good read. I will remember this if the frozen experiment ends up drying up the tobacco.

Like I said....I would like to help you out as I did really enjoy a good smoke.....LOL....sometimes I really want one... ALOT.
    No, I not gonna light up.

hunter, ever considered the vape jazz?
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Ha......Actually had an electronic cigarette with me in the hospital....and in the intensive care unit....there were no rules against them.....so I used it/them for a couple of times.....and coughed so hard I just gave everything up.......

Doc actually saw them laying there, and laughed and shook his head....muttered something about me being hard headed....said he was gonna get them too......LOL

Nope don't ever consider them, just seems like another crutch,.....with the tough time I had with kicking tobacco....NOT gonna even consider "vaping"......don't even like the sound of the term (and not in my spell checker).....Nor did I like the taste when I tried it.

When I get the urge....I just go a buy another Handi Rifle.

Now on the other hand, in the words of another cardio work out partner..."If I was told I had something serious, and gonna die in 2 months....I buy a pack of smokes"......Naw,...LOL,... my luck I would get cured and have to quit all over again.