Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E.m.p. Survival

Default E.m.p. Survival

does anyone one know anything about electro magnetic pulses?

Try the search feature.

EDIT: You'll find dozens of threads on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by nuclearwarfaresurvival View Post
    does anyone one know anything about electro magnetic pulses?

Yes, yes I do.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I do not believe in electromagnetic pulse.

How could an all powerful electromagnetic pulse allow all the pain and sorrow in this world to exist.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 05-16-2016 at 05:01 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Ok...that one ^ got an 'out loud' laugh out of me.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

I can't wait to see all the faces of all the millennials when their phones go dead.
    What are they going to do with themselves?
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    I can't wait to see all the faces of all the millennials when their phones go dead.
    That would be the "Zombies"...... wondering around looking for a brain.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I caught a glimpse of the end of the world the other day. I finally saw just how ingrained in our culture this phone thing is. On t.v.

It was just an ad for some t.v. show. One that I have no interest in. But a certain something about it woke me up.

It was some such thing about guys and gals doing some such stuff...I don't even know what you'd call it...some contests or tournament dating? The goal is for everyone to magically fall in love with someone else, them all being strangers to each other, and get paired off.

But here's what was weird about it. At the end of the commercial when they're saying something like "on such and such day at such and such time on this channel", etc, and there's a still-shot on the screen...in this still-shot were a handful of the participants, young pretty people, here and there, posing and smiling...

...and all of them were bowing their heads, looking at a phone that they were holding in their hands.

Let that sink in.

- William Arthur Ward

Hey! Slack off on the phone. Folks start slamming phones and I don't take hostages. Made a good living with dial tone.

We now have another way to classify geezers:
    You are a general geezer if you remember a time before Twitter and Facebook
    You are an old geezer if you recall the first cell phones
    You are an ancient geezer if you saw the introduction of internet-connected "devices"
    You are an ancient old geezer if you are familiar with landlines, pay phones or party lines
    Last edited by Faiaoga; 05-18-2016 at 06:40 PM. Reason: punctuation

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTree View Post

...and all of them were bowing their heads, looking at a phone that they were holding in their hands.

Let that sink in.
    They were just praying to the Phone God.

You guys do realize this technology has been out there for 20 years now, and we that do not use it are now the minority.

We are sort of like those folks that continued using muzzle loaders into the 1930s, ordered cars with 3 speed column shift transmissions in the 1960s and refuse to have our children vaccinated today.

BTW, do you think the OP has decided we do not take EMP seriously as a threat to humanity?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

You are a Geezer if you Know what a "Vic 20" is.......Or told Widow Johnson the get off the line...on the party line.

But you are not really Old.....just Ripe....

You are an ancient old geezer if you are familiar with landlines, pay phones or party lines
    Pfffffft. I remember only having to dial three numbers to connect to another party.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Hand held devices (phones, etc)...People use them, sure. Even most people now. But what struck me is this - A picture of a person typically includes certain things, like a background. Or the person having on some clothes (one's without clothes are a different/subcategory, and beside my point). Or the people in the pic trying to smile. Stuff like that. But what struck me as a strange moment in history is a picture of people which has nothing to do with phones and is not a picture of the phone itself, now requires the presence of the phone in the pic - not only that the phone is in the subject's hand, but that the subject is looking down at the thing and using it. It is now part of the pictorial decorum and landscape. Not when someone is caught unexpectedly in a picture and happens to be using the thing, but when someone is posing for a picture...when everything about a pic is prepared and choreographed by a photographer.

A prepared picture of someone on a park bench...is about that scene - birds, trees, reflection, serenity, whatever. But now a natural and required ingredient of that scene is a phone in the person's hand and them looking down at it.

A pic of a pilot in the sky...you get the sky, the cockpit, some dashboard or uniform. But now there has to be a phone in the pilot's hand and him looking down at it.

A pic of someone...one wherein they aren't 'doing' anything, it's not about anything but that person, they are literally just having a pic taken of themselves in which they normally would just stand and smile...now instead has to have a phone in that person's hand and have that person looking down at it.

That is what's very strange to me. I use a fork very often. Or a ball point pen. Or my shoes. But a picture of me...of any person that's supposed to just be a pic of that person standing and smiling - a definitive of these pictures is not the person holding a fork in their hand, or a ball point pen, or bending over to put on their shoe.

? Geezer: By normal standards, I have only begun to start getting old, technically. Yet I can claim these things -

- T.V. was only broadcast.

- Channels were all VHF. I remember the advent of UHF like it was a strange new thing.

- Forget no computers or internet, but I almost never even heard of the words themselves...what does the words themselves even mean? Computer, internet...huh? And...pager? Mobile phone? What are all these things? From a B-rated sci fi movie or something?

- Plastic bags? What's that? We just had metal trash cans, and that's it.

- I don't just remember analog telephones, but I remember and miss the absolutely superior sound quality of them. It was literally, not figuratively, like you were in the same room with the person on the other end. You could talk over each other and still hear everything from the other end at the same time, no blanking out of the sound. Every nuance of sound from the other end got transferred also, in good proportion, realistically, including things 50 feet or 100 feet away from the person on the other end, etc. The one drawback for some people is that during 'long distance' calls, everything on the other end was lower in volume. You had to try harder to hear them. And you had to raise your voice too. But that seems appropriate to me...because it was long distance. Hehe.

- My mom would regularly go to the gas station and get exactly 2 dollars worth of gas. Of course, we were poor, but that's still reasonably close to typical.

- And I remember when they started structuring/shaping the bottoms of soda cans and 2-liter bottles differently. I wonder if anyone here knows what I mean. For that matter, 3-liter bottles were a new thing about when I was a teen or pre teen. 2-liter was extravagant.

- I noticed when 'they' started duping everyone concerning radios. The bass and treble adjustments. Nowadays, you have to hit a special bass button. But that doesn't get you any more bass than when you'd just turn up the normal slider on an old radio. And there's the stereo button...used to be, if you were getting bad reception, you'd hit this button to go from stereo to mono, and suddenly you get great reception. That button doesn't exist anymore. And then sound quality in general...whippersnappers are thinking that they're getting cool 'popping' sound quality in their devices with small advanced speakers. Sure, speaker technology has progressed greatly. But not that greatly. They just don't know the difference. Don't know what they're missing.
    Last edited by WalkingTree; 05-18-2016 at 04:15 PM.

- William Arthur Ward

You talk too much. Respectfully.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    You are a Geezer if you Know what a "Vic 20" is.......Or told Widow Johnson the get off the line...on the party line.

But you are not really Old.....just Ripe....
    I don't know about Widow Johnson, but Ripe Old Geezers hang out at www.oldcomputers.net

Perhaps Widow Johnson and her sisters have internet computer dating profiles there

Well, I did see an ad in a Sportsman Guide catalog for a tent......in front of the tent, were the happy campers sitting in folding camp chairs....and the teen in the Great outdoors...was bent over with what appears to be a cell phone.

I guess my question was why have your phone out in camp?....or at the very least...who was the person doing the photo for the ad and why would they consider that good copy...?????
    Tried to find it on their web site....not there.

The teen age girl in the folding camp chair was probably looking up a web page about owls, instead of looking for and listening to owls round her camp. Or maybe she wanted a digital image of campfire flames, instead of looking into an actual fire.

Did you know that you can search the web, text or make a phone call ... in the middle of the ocean?! Who knew and where do they hide the cell towers?

How much did you have to pay to connect to the ship's wifi?
    I had to take a flight to florida a few weeks ago. There were no screens. If you wanted an in-flight movie you had to pay $5 to connect your phone to their wifi. If you wanted a premium movie, it was $15. Of course you had to have a fully charged phone and download an airline-supplied app... That's why I brought a book (a real paperback book) with me.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant