Thread: rebuilding coleman stove

Default rebuilding coleman stove

Here's a photo of a coleman stove I recently rebuilt. It's a coleman 500. I put on a new generator, cleaned the nickel, and painted all the steel with VHT header paint. It's been curing for awhile. The pump pumps up real good so I think once the paint is cured it will fire up fine. I may clean the tank with a citric acid solution. anyhoo here it is.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Well done.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Now that is sweet. The great grand father of the Peak One you reckon? I love the nickled tank. When was that in the catalogs?

Nice job, Randy. Look and see if that has a 500 stamped on it. That looks like a Coleman Speedmaster. The model is 500 and it was built sometime between late '46 to mid '51. Before and after those dates the tanks were green.

Excellent.........
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Senior Member Pennsylvania Mike's Avatar

Here is the story to the Coleman 500 stove for those that want to know a little about it. Nice job randyt, I also like to work on stoves and lanterns.

http://classiccampstoves.com/attachm...dels-pdf.7930/

You know what. There were some A models that were prior to those dates I listed. It should be stamped.

Thanks for the comments. The only markings other than coleman, made in the united states, it may say constant sunshine on it too. There is a A and a numeral 40. Not sure what it is, I always thought it was a model 500.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

LOL, actually the photo show he only markings on it, just noticed. Right above united states of america there is a A on the lh side and a 40 on the rh side

There is no definitive source for the A that I know of. Most interpret it as either being the first quarter or the first half of the year. The 40 is the year of manufacture. I've not seen any nickel plated tanks earlier than 40 so that may well be the first year Coleman made nickel tanks in the U.S. for the 500 stove. I have no idea why they made the A models nickel and then switched to painted tanks. Normally, you'll find the '46-'51 years being nickel.

Did Coleman ever make this style/model for government contract?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They did. I've got one similar to the picture below, but without the case.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'll double check the 40 maybe it's a 46 and looked like a 40 in the light I was in.

Nice stove Crash

It maybe a 40. As I said, they did make an A model in nickel that year.

DS - They made a bunch of 500 series stoves for the military. They were not 500s but 520 (as Crash pictured above), a 521, a 522, a 524, a 525 (big honkin' stove) and a 530. About the closest in looks to the 500 was the 521. Most of the military stoves came with spare generator parts, usually a tool of some sort and a cook pot/storage case of some type. Those are just the smaller sized squad type stoves. They made many more, larger crew and truck stoves to service forward platoon, surgical and dental outfits. Some of those were two burner units.

Crash - You can pick those cases up from time to time on eBay for not much.