Thread: Fontus self filling bottle

Default Fontus self filling bottle

Condenses water from the air. May not be too useful in a dry climate, but Texas is at its worst when the humidity is insanely high. Looks ideal for emergency water.

Can't find anything about how long it takes in various temp/humidity combinations, but even if it took all day to fill that bottle, that's still a lot when you're away from any other source.

http://fontus.at/

Sorry, Bear Grylls, couldn't find one that generates urine directly.

'the system works best in warm, humid conditions, specifically “between 86 degrees and 104 degrees Fahrenheit and between 80 and 90% humidity”. Now why would anyone in their right mind be hiking or riding a bike in those conditions. I've better things to do than torture myself.

"Retezár hopes to make the Fontus available for a retail price of UNDER $100." One would surely hope. Way, way under $100.

https://offgridweb.com/gear/fontus-s...-water-bottle/

Thank you for pointing this out. Even at the high price, it could be useful for some applications, such as life boats. If it could be scaled up, perhaps coastal deserts could obtain water this way
    Last edited by Faiaoga; 05-31-2016 at 06:05 PM.

I would think any equatorial coastal region or equatorial island could use this type of technology. Those temps and that high of humidity are pretty standard.

I think I'll wait till a real example is made available and tested...
    Look like another crowd funding deal.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Senior Member Pennsylvania Mike's Avatar

I think what I am looking at is a mini dehumidifier, probably you already have a big version eating in your basement. If this is the case, you need power to make this thing work, and for what I can tell from the website is a small solar cell, which is the wrap around the water bottle. The website tells you very little about it, but if this is the case, what happens at night or on a cloudy or rainy day? Rainy day - no problem take the top off and collect water in the cup, and if you are near the coast, why not build a distiller from parts, and use wood fire to make water? No doubt it is a noble idea, but too many holes in the website or I missed something, do they tell you how much water it makes? I know my dehumidifier at homes takes a while to make a gallon of water and it is powered by 110 volts. If you are using this for bike ride to get a cup of water at the end of the day, why not carry a water bottle? just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    'the system works best in warm, humid conditions, specifically “between 86 degrees and 104 degrees Fahrenheit and between 80 and 90% humidity”. Now why would anyone in their right mind be hiking or riding a bike in those conditions. I've better things to do than torture myself.
    Expecting my commute home this evening to be 82F and 94% humidity. Granted, at only 5 miles, I'm unlikely to need more than the 24oz of water in my regular bottle, but the idea of something to generate a bit extra does sound handy. Maybe if everybody here had to carry and use ten of them all summer, we could get the humidity down.