Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Updates on my AR-15 build

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

No the MG 42 has to come from "other sources". The most difficult part to find being the stamped receiver.

I can give you links to a build kit for an RPD and three kinds of AK; '47, '65 and '74 and both finished stripped lowers and 80% finished units.

You can build an AK under-folder for less than $500. Of course Centerfire Systems sells AKs for just a hair over $500 so you are not saving too much there.

The AK build kits would be cheaper but they have to include an American made trigger and sear with the parts kits (usually a Tapco unit) in place of the full auto systems the parts came with and enough other American parts to reach 922 compliance. That bumps up the price. An AK parts kit being basically a de-milled military AK from whatever army we can deal with outside Russia. Yugo, Bulgarian, Polish, Serbian ...They have only scrap value in the nations of origin since all of them changed to the AK74 40 years ago.

That is not a factor with an AR build since all the goodies are produced in country.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Blog Entries

Krat, some 80% lowers have the metal insert buffer tube doohickey. Are they needed?

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    Krat, some 80% lowers have the metal insert buffer tube doohickey. Are they needed?
    They are not really needed and serve little purpose.

I have nearly 1000 rounds through one Polymer 80 build and it has no signs of failure or fatigue. That part of the polymer 80 is built up and reinforced pretty well. Even has a hex shape so it is easy to screw onto the tube. The threads are deep and fit is pretty tight so you have to be careful and not get your buffer tube cross threaded. I have one buffer tube that must be over sized because it will not screw into the Polymer 80 frame. It is off a pistol kit so the buffer is not a mil-spec unit. All the standard carbine type buffer tubes have worked OK.

The 80% frame with the brass insert is from Tennessee Firearms and it has several areas where the polymer is thin and tends to split. I have not tried that fame because it requires purchase of a build jig which would only pay for itself if you were doing a dozen builds or having a build party with friends all making the TF gun.

I also tried the EP 80% frame and had a bad experience with it also. It does not have a build jig and depends on an adhesive sticker as a pattern for drilling and milling. Big fail. Even JB Weld would not fix that one!

They show a kid building one with nothing but a Drimel tool and I was taken in. There's no way a 15 year old with a Drimel tool could make one of those builds work.

That was when I decided to pay a little more for the Polymer 80 build kit and have something that worked.

Fact is, unless you just want an AR off the books, and many people do, buying a stripped lower is easier and cheaper.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-30-2017 at 08:27 PM.

Blog Entries

Good to know thanks.

Tool & Die Maker

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Actually you can buy the 9mm lower from PSA for $59 and like someone said, skip all the work.
    Does PSA still have the $59 lower? All I see is one for $69 (blemish) and another for $119.

Jim

I think that was an e-mail special they sent me.

Are you on their e-mail list? When they have limited supplies of something, or too many of them, they often offer it as an e-mail special.

You also have to watch their "daily deals" section.

Labor Day weekend deals are on;

Not bad for a mid length rifle kit with all the parts but the lower. Lowers should cost no more then $50 so you can have an AR for less than $370.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/ptac-...rifle-kit.html

Below is a "slick side" kit. It dies ot have the forward assist, cartridge deflector or ejector port dust cover. It still makes a great range gun or casual shooter if you are not intending to take it into combat! It is not a free shipping deal so final cost will be the same as the kit above.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/ptac-...rifle-kit.html
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-31-2017 at 11:47 AM.