Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Updates on my AR-15 build

I'm a firm believer that if you know how many guns you have off the top of your head, you don't have enough.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

The ammo for the AK is no cheaper than for the 5.56 AR ammo. In fact 5.56 is about a penny cheaper than 7.62x39 right now. It all varies by a few cents but is too close to the same price to make that a factor.

300BO is expensive by comparison. It is only available as commercial ammo at commercial cost.

The real factor is AK cost right now. The prices have reversed trend in the past couple of years and the AK is costing twice the price of an AR. AK rifles are selling for $700-$900 and the parts kits are going for $400. It is a phony reaction to the Russian embargo. Most of the AK rifles that were being imported were not made in Russia, they were made in Serbia, Yugoslavia or Connecticut!

Yep, Century International has an AK factory in the U.S. so they no longer have to import.

Fortunately you only need one AK,,,,ever,,,,forever. You buy it once and you never have to buy one again!

Sort of like a John Deere tractor.

I guess that would make the AR a Lowes riding lawn mower.

Here is a source for your "build kits". for the AK they are stripped from an existing lower since there are millions of worn out AKs all over the world that are full auto and not allowed inside the U.S. All parts except the lower, selector switch, and full auto sear are stripped off and sold as parts kits. My sons told me that you could buy an AK at any bazaar in Iraq for $10, so that is quite a profit mark up.

http://armsofamerica.com/

Stamped, punched and folded lowers are available all over the place for $30-$75. You have to spot weld the bolt rails in place and rivet the center brace.

Now I have started something else. Sorry 'bout that.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-07-2017 at 11:01 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Tool & Die Maker

Oh ya, my Brother-in-law has so many guns he can put on a gun show at his house.

I made all my assembly tools except the upper receiver clamp. Without that clamp there is a chance of breaking the upper receiver when the barrel is torqued in place, it's only aluminum. When the upper receiver is broken you can think about all the money you saved on the clamp. The clamp is only $20. I couldn't come close to making anything like that for $20. Buying the clamp is also a good excuse for building more AR's.

Let's see, how much was that 9mm AR kit?

Quote Originally Posted by jim Glass View Post

Never forget the first time my wife saw my AR-15. She comes out to my shop, she rarely does that, and I have an AR-15 laying on a work bench. She sees it and says, "what's that thing?" I said, "a rifle". She asks "what's it for?" I said, "hog hunting". She asks, "is that an AR-15?" I said, "ya". She replies totally in a hostile manner, "oh Jim,,,,,you keep it out here, don't bring it into the house!!" Me, "OK...". She still does not know about the second AR-15. I'm ok as long as she only sees one at a time.
    I got by with, "It's for hunting and home defense." When she asked what my AR-15 was for. Dodged the, "What about that one shotgun you just bought for home defense." Now it's going to be explaining the 100 rnd drum magazine I just ordered. Somehow I don't think I can use either excuse for that. Then the build... I will come up with something. LOL

Stick with Handi's, stick with Hand's, stick with Handi's....I keep tell myself.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

The build kit is "gun parts", not a gun. Just a box of parts. That's my story and I am sticking too it.

Honest truth too. If it was a gun they could not ship it by mail or freight without an FFL.

Now if you build both your ARs to look alike, and never let her see them together, she will never know you have two guns.

The shotgun is a different deal. Everyone has to have a shotgun. A shotgun is just part of life and a good idea for most women too. In fact, you need one for you and one for her, just like needing two AR rifles.

Now if you get hooked on AR pistols I am not responsible for any addictive behavior because you have been warned. The AR pistol is highly addictive since you can make a butt-stockless SBR substitute fron 7" barrel out to 14" model and some of us want several different setups.

My AR pistols are the only rifle/pistol cartridge combination I can identify as useful.

Everyone that owns an AR should probably have one of the armorers combination tools just to do maintenance on the firearm. They are about $15 at any gun shop and have a wrench for the castle nut on the stock, a muzzle break wrench, a barrel nut wrench, a big screw driver and squares punched out for 3/8 or 1/2 inch torque wrench. You also need another type wrench for the free float handguards since they use a different kind of barrel nut. You will also need the upper vise Jim is talking about if you go with a kit that requires assembly.

Now, after you get straight on the AR rifles you have to go to the computer and start looking for the Handi rifle barrels as back up guns for your primary and to justify the purchase of ammo to "the man" if it is ever a problem.

"No sir I do not own an evil black rifle, I bought that 5,000 rounds of surplus ammo to shoot out of my Handi-rifle. What's in the back room? Oh just more handi-rifle ammo in various calibers. They are very versatile firearms."
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-07-2017 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post

Now, after you get straight on the AR rifles you have to go to the computer and start looking for the Handi rifle barrels as back up guns for your primary and to justify the purchase of ammo to "the man" if it is ever a problem.

"No sir I do not own an evil black rifle, I bought that 5,000 rounds of surplus ammo to shoot out of my Handi-rifle. What's in the back room? Oh just more handi-rifle ammo in various calibers. They are very versatile firearms."
    Have a .223, .308...still looking for the 7.62 X 39.......good way to shoot up your 'blems"

I do not understand you guys. My mosins require nothing more than a sledge hammer and bailing wire. Short of that a large rock and a green vine.

Don't forget the railroad rail.......for the receiver.

for what it's worth, I have a handi rifle in 7.62 x 39.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    for what it's worth, I have a handi rifle in 7.62 x 39.
    LOL....So what is it worth?.....LOL

the heck of it is I don't have time to shoot it much but maybe one of these days
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    the heck of it is I don't have time to shoot it much but maybe one of these days
    Let me know...PM........I would be interested.

I'll find the time, soon.

I just had this picture of Hunter on his knees in front of the computer typing with a cross in one hand and a juju doll in the other (ain't takin' no chances) when he typed that post. I hope his wife is home so he can get back up.

Tool & Die Maker

One thing about a .223. You can always say it is only a .22 which is true because I have the conversion kit. The AR shoots both but that info should be let out on a need to know basis.

Now, how do I justify a 9 mm AR-15? I know, the ammo is cheap plus I'm getting bored.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I just had this picture of Hunter on his knees in front of the computer typing with a cross in one hand and a juju doll in the other (ain't takin' no chances) when he typed that post. I hope his wife is home so he can get back up.
    Yeah, helping me up is about right.....she gave up on the "Well, how many do you need?"

how many you need? just one more

Some time back #3 son and I were at the ranch shooting. We had hung a large steel (3/8") plate in a tree and were taking pot shots at it. I was using my AR with Tula FMJ ammo and he was using his SKS with Tula FMJ ammo. After a couple of mags each we went down to look at the plate. The 223 was making little poof marks on the plate and the 7.62x39 was punching right on through it. I decided then and there that I was going to graduate. I had had an SKS for a bunch of years but hadn't carried it much and the AR was light and maneuverable. I never had any desire to own an AK47, still don't.

I bought an Olympic upper and put it on a Colt Sporter II lower I had and it is what has gone with me on trips and truck gun to the ranch for several years now. I had to buy a bushing to adapt the upper to the Colt lower but it's tight and shoots as good as a 7.62x39 and an old man can shoot. It requires different mags but in a pinch will load and feed 7.62x39 with some small degree of reliability from a regular AR 223 mag.

Alan

With the handi rifles dried up and the Rossi SS rifles dried up I suppose I am going to have to buy one of those little CZ bolt actions in 7.62x39.

I really wish Savage would come out with a short action Axis rifle in 7.62x39, .223, .357, .44mag and maybe .22 Hornet and sell it for about the same price they do the regular Axis. They would sell a ton of them!