Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So many mistakes...

Quote Originally Posted by Seniorman View Post
    Here is the Poster Boy for Kyratshooter's idea of the "new, modern, outdoors metrosexual."

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Knife? Knife?? Ohhh, that is soooo retro, don't you know. Just call 9-1-1."

S.M.
    I think someone is posting my picture without my permission!!!!

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    We often forget that there is a completely different attitude toward the outdoors in other segments of the outdoor world.

As an example, one of the top backpacking magazines did a pole of thousands of members for the top 10 mandatory backpacking items. Just like we do here quite often. Know what the #1 most important item was in every pole?

A flashlight!

In our poles it is always the knife.

The backpackers recommended that one not take a knife into the field because they were useless with today's technology and dangerous, one might cut themselves.

Compass work and maps are not needed because the trail guides are thorough and all legitimate hiking trails are well marked. Going off trail is unheard of and damages the ecosystem.

When I was on the AT, 15 years ago, there were a lot of people that did not carry a stove. They were eating cold food out of tear open pouches. I never remember a single person building a fire at any time on the AT, except me, and that was when I was alone in a trail shelter. Other hikers often objected to the fire.

So yes, one can be considered an expert camper and backpacker and log thousands of miles of hiking and countless nights in a tent and never build a campfire, never open the blade of a pocket knife, never look at a compass or top map.

And I am sure the thought of snaring, butchering and cooking a rabbit or squirrel would turn most of their stomachs.

Hard to believe, but there is a whole other bunch of crazies out there in our woods!
    As foreign as this concept is to most of us, even scornful to an extent, I must say "cheers" to those going out there to hike with so little knowledge. At least they are trying to get into the "wilderness" and trying to accomplish something grand in their lives. As you well know, for most, hiking any amount, even on a well populated, well marked, trail, is a big accomplishment. Yes sometimes they die. But they die just the same or more sitting on their couch watching tv.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by Seniorman View Post
    Here is the Poster Boy for Kyratshooter's idea of the "new, modern, outdoors metrosexual."

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Knife? Knife?? Ohhh, that is soooo retro, don't you know. Just call 9-1-1."

S.M.
    It's Pajama Boy.......a prime example of the New Castrati.

Edit: Oops. I see that one of our members has claimed that this is a self portrait.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

It's the eyebrows that weird me out...

Yes sometimes they die. But they die just the same or more sitting on their couch watching tv.
    Uncommon wisdom.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

I had never heard of this incident until today. It is indeed a sad story. Not much use speculating and second guessing but there are some lessons to be learned and we can all evaluate and ponder what we would do differently if we were in the same situation. I hiked through that area in 1990. Mahoosuc Notch was an interesting place.

I helped search for a lost hunter in Northern Maine a long time ago. It's hard to describe the feelings one has when involved in a search. There's a sense of frustration combined with an overwhelming desire to find the lost person. There's such a sense of urgency coupled with the fact that everyone needs to slow down to focus so as not to miss any clue. All the while the sound of choppers and planes overhead is a constant reminder everything possible is being done. Again, hard for me to describe. It's a feeling I've never experienced since but I'm sure I would if I was involved in another search.

A big thank you to all those professional and volunteer searchers who do go out to try to help. As far as I know, they never found that hunter.
    Off Grid and Free-My Path to the Wilderness Available on Amazon www.inthewilderness.net

I want a pair of them pahamas...match my shirt, slippers and hat.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I bet those are footy-pajamas too.
    LOL...
    Ah, here you go H63:
    http://snugasabug.com/slumberjack-adult-footed-pajama
    My guess is the girl is not included.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Oh, come on now. A fellah needs drop seat underwear if he's going to go with a onesy.

http://www.sears.com/lazy-one-adult-...FVGAaQod2_ABPw

I like the trap door model better....and I really don't like the feet in them.
    When you fart...the ankles swell up.....

Pretty cool .....Nice find, Thanks

If you're laying down and fart you wake up with your feet floating in the air. Fart too much and you're hanging upside down from the ceiling. Outside, well, lets just say folks have gone missing before. The only thing worse are pantyhose. That fart just runs around inside all day long. You stick a thumb in the waist and sail around the room like a balloon.

Hate that part.......

If you fart in pantyhose, they'll make you look fat.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Such a slippery slope...a really sad but valuable story and where do we end up? Floating in the ether head down.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Actually the group did pretty well on this one DS.

We got to post 19 before the thread was hijacked for a pajama party and the subsequent fart lighting contest.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

You can't really blame us. The forum has ADD.

I generally participate in lightweight backpacking forums. And, I try to be one. It is different than bushcrafting. Backpackers in California are generally against fires, and for good reason. They tend to have a hard time keeping it safe and preventing it from burning the state down. California has a lot of fire restrictions, so even if you wanted to light a fire, you can't. In the Rockies, and in most of the midwest (GSMNP), most backpackers like fires. On a few forums that deal with lightweight backpacking, a fire thread is pretty contentious.... kinda like a knife thread here. You get people from both points of view and an argument ensues. You will find there are all types of backpackers. Some like to walk slow and get it all in. Some like to walk short distances and set up luxurious camps, and sit in camp for a long time. Others like to cover more ground to see more, and only stay in camp for the night. They eat breakfast and dinner on the trail. I know a lot in this group who also don't like following trails and do a lot of bushwhacking. They know how to navigate. Some use backpacking as a means to fish more. And, yes, some like to just rack up miles in the shortest amount of time and only see things that are on the trail, missing a lot. There was a story about a girl who did the AT in record time. Her husband/boy friend would drive her stuff from camp to camp, and she basically just ran the whole thing. My parents taught me not to run in church... but to each their own, I guess. Anyways, there are all types. Some fit your stereotype and many don't. As for being an "expert hiker". That doesn't mean they are expert at bushcrafting, otherwise they would be an "expert bushcrafter". Remember that you are either hiking, or you are bushcrafting. You can do both on the same trip, but not at the same time.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

FM.....
    I have to agree about the "Don't run in church"....part.
    That was a great overview.