Thread: my new drill press

Default my new drill press

The other day a fella called me up and asked if I was looking for a drill press. I guess I'm known as the flat belt guy around these parts. Anyhoo I bought it and going to hook it to my line shaft.

check out the foot lever at the bottom for shifting the belt to power it up. It seems good and tight and it will be awhile before I have to repour the bearings. The spindle looks to take about a #4 morse taper

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

The "Flat belt Guy?"....That's a hoot.....
    Cool drill press.....you would have loved our old machine shop back in the factory days.....
    All over head flat belts and pulleys ....most were not used much, but every so often they would take all the stuff off a big old lathe and turn something big...some of our machines...or sometimes a job from the boiler works down the street....could turn material up to 60". dia.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

would have loved to have seen that shop, I like it. I have a drill press similar to my new one. The old one is a few sizes bigger and has a car transmission fit up between the two top bearing, it was my granddads, I may give it to my brother.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

here's a photo of the top side of my old drill press

Wow, you go Randyt!!! I think it's awesome! It would take nothing to rig up a pedal system to run that and an electric motor for fat times. No brainer in my opinion.

Excellent......
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'm dying to know. Is that a three speed or four speed transmission?

it's a four speed

here's my lineshaft that I have posted before. Was planning on taking it to the wall and making a right angle drive but now I'm thinking about just installing another shaft and running it with another engine.

Last edited by randyt; 05-26-2016 at 10:14 PM. Reason: re-sized photo

for some reason it's not sized correctly

I love that set up.

Took me the longest time to figure out that the pulleys are higher in the middle.....the belt climbs to the high spot....
    I thought it should be cupped or grooved like a "V" belt pulley.....LOL.

Stuff had been running before I was born by a bunch...and at one time was steam driven......so I guess they knew what they were doing back then

I dig it all too, ben around flat belts all my life, have the tools for splicing belts and all kind of apparatus

We had all that stuff for splicing as well....I thinking a lot was discarded and scrapped when the factory closed.....

that's too bad, crying shame really

Yeah, you have no idea.....they were torching 150 year old machinery that was the same as the new stuff....except no bells and whistles and much slower......
    Won't be around to see if that new stuff if it last as long......

I always loved seeing 6 ft high gears........and the old guy in the bibs who's job it was to take a stick and dab grease on a couple of times a day...the fill up the glass oilers.....
    Job title.....Greaser /oiler .....LOL...right up to 1999 when that plant closed....shades of turn of the last century factories...Since 1896

That plant was sold, and closed down....but some of the old equipment lives on ;
    http://www.macwhyte.com/