Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Arapuca" Live Bird Trap

Catching stuff with them is just a matter of placement and bait like any other trap. Mammals will mess with them. Mice will drop the trap and then leave.

There are certain clues as to what is messing around with your trap...

Trap fallen over bait that is still there = wind or rain.

Trap fallen over bait that is gone = mice or rats.

Trap fallen over bait that is gone and trap is moved or disturbed = larger rodent

Trap that is totally destroyed, bait still there = a predator got your bird, especially if there are feathers/blood around.

Trap that is totally destroyed, no feathers/blood, bait gone = horse, goat, deer etc.

Trap gone totally missing, bootmarks around trap = someone stole your trap.

Mac
    Last edited by Pict; 10-19-2008 at 04:00 PM.
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

That's funny. I was actually thinking the very same thing as I read through your post then I saw your last line. I chortled when I read it and I don't chortle often.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Rick,

It takes a big man to admit to chortling. Mac

Thanks for the video! I am just now getting to watch it. It's something I would have never thought of. Just goes to show you that there is so much that we can learn from other cultures.

Daniel
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Shows what we can learn from each other here!

In the immortal words of Sarge, "gotta love the wolf pack"!!!
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Cool, I am going to have to check out all your videos
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Today when I got home, Something had gotin in my trap. Im sure it was a squirrel because the trap was torn apart, Im pretty sure it was not a bird. It was in a pile, But it caught what ever it was, So sound tech.

My first attempt with an arapuca caught a horse. I had used cracked corn for bait.

I have another video on my page in which we caught two dove and my son got to them first and they ended up getting away. At home I set them on the floor of the dog kennel and then close it off to our dogs (5) and goat. The goat will actually try to eat the trap itself. Mac

I saw you video about the doves and the goat, Haaaa Haaaaaaa.Ican see that this is a bird trap , not for Squirrels, But it do work. Thanks for your sopport.

Well I finely caut a bird, Too cool. Was a no target catch, Let go.Going to try to take it a little More. If Id hade out more traps this works. Dont expect to get a catch a day on one trap. Thanks Pict!

Quote Originally Posted by Runs With Beer View Post
    Well I finely caut a bird, Too cool. Was a no target catch, Let go.Going to try to take it a little More. If Id hade out more traps this works. Dont expect to get a catch a day on one trap. Thanks Pict!
    Way to go! What were you using for bait?

In order to eat every day with the arapuca you need to set about 10 of them to catch between 1 and 3 birds a day. It all depends on placement. In my area of Brazil rural farm workers would set them along their walk to work and check them morning and evening. Exotic birds would be sold as pets and game birds like pigeons would wind up in the pot. Somewhere I have a series of photos of two old bird trappers I knew (they have passed away). I'll try to locate them and make a post. Mac

Very nice. I'm impressed. I used to love love love survival techniques etc when I was a little boy and now that obama's (i refuse to capitolize his name) our pres I'm starting to wonder if I should brush up on my skills

Joel - I know that you're new. One of the rules of this forum is no politics.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Joel, if you don't believe crash, ask Bragg... oh wait, you can't....
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

As an aside, in Brazil the term "Arapuca" is also used for sting operations mounted by police and hidden camera type attacks by the press. So if the bait is right you can catch a crooked politician or bad cop in an arapuca. The idea is that the one caught always looks kind of foolish. Birds caught in an arapuca are always extremely embarrassed so be gentle.

There is no such thing as a bad reason to brush up on your skills, but keeping politics off the board is a good idea. Mac

Banned

huh. thats ironic. i just watched your video on this last week. never seen this thread either. i thought the video was very good and its a trap that i will use.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Joel - I know that you're new. One of the rules of this forum is no politics.
    yeah joel. theres no such thing as freedom of speech

Yep - no freedom of speech - that way we don't have to suffer azzhats lightly.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

itailia,whats up?? no such thing,eh? first off,whether or not people actually read the rules and TOS when signing up,they did agree to abide by the rules of the forum when they joined.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Of course there's freedom of speech. Part of that freedom is to establish your own board where you can determine what is or is not off limits.

Personally I like the limits placed on politics and religion on most boards, and I have very strong opinions/beliefs regarding both subjects. I also feel I have something to say about wilderness survival/bushcraft and that's why I post here. I say keep the board on track. Nobody is stomping on anyone's right to free speech, there are plenty of political boards, we don't need another good wilderness board getting dragged into the political arena.

Now, where politics touches on wilderness subjects, like regulations for public land use, especially at a federal level I feel the topic should be discussed in places like this. That of course is subject to the people that are paying to make this place happen. Mac
    Last edited by Pict; 11-17-2008 at 08:33 AM. Reason: speling eros