Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Synthetic Oil

These days 100,000 is just about considered just broke in. I've had good luck using synthetic although every now and then i'll end up dumping in some cheap oil when i'm in a spot.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Anyone use SPT Oil treatment any more.....Do they even make SPT oil treatment any more.
    Just looked it up, I guess they do....just haven't seen it around for a while.....

Used to use that on all the old high mileage motors....even watched a Formula "V" run a whole 1.9 mile lap with no oil in the motor and didn't damage it.....
    Just don't use it any more.
    Just carious
    Ha, dropped the oil pan on a 59 Ford 6 banger that wouldn't take over 2 quarts on an oil change, STP was at least 4" deep in the bottom... crank had dug grooves in it. Had to scrape it out from around everything under the valve cover too.

Always wondered what the small 'buy here-pay here' lots used to stop an engine from smoking for 3 days after you bought it? Never failed, sometime on the 3rd day ( when it was too late to renege) it would start smoking! Don't think it was STP, as I remember using it to quiet noisy lifters. (if that didn't work, it was time to break out the MMO!)

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

I use a bottle of heat in my gas once every winter just to get rid of any condensation that may have happened.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

I won't chime in on using it in vehicles since there has been good feedback. But, I can tell you it makes a world of difference if I need to yank on the diesel generator at 0 degrees. Down to about maybe -10 I have a chance of getting the generator started without tiger torch setup.

I have a lever I depress to release compression. Even then, it is mighty sluggish. I'll slowly pull the cord out and continue to pull it for at least 20 pulls. I'm thinking the friction warms the cylinder slightly so that when I give it some serious tugs thereafter, it catches. Impossible without synthetic oil.
    Off Grid and Free-My Path to the Wilderness Available on Amazon www.inthewilderness.net

My 2004 Nissan Sentra has been conventional oil since new, 3k mile intervals and is approaching 200k on the odometer. No issues yet.

My 2005 Honda Civic runs synthetic at 10k mile intervals with a filter and top off halfway b/t oil changes.

My 2014 Ford Focus runs synthetic at 10k mile intervals. I change it every 5k because of its driving conditions of city life and the occasional small trailer being pulled.

Fuel injector cleaners and other fuel additives are mostly unnecessary because they are already included in the fuel. There are always extenuating circumstances that would permit otherwise.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten