Thread: Dakin's Solution

Default Dakin's Solution

I was walking with a podiatrist at the hospital where I work today and he was telling me about Dakin's Solution. It's an antiseptic solution that can easily be made at home. It is excellent for cleaning wounds because it is not so strong that it will kill living cells, but is strong enough that it will separate dead tissue from living (can help to effectively debride a wound). I did some reading on it today and it seems that it has been used since world war 1 for cleansing wounds. It is very simple to make with bleach, baking soda, and water. Here is a flyer I found that details how it is made. http://www.itstactical.com/wp-conten...s_Solution.pdf Thought folks here might be interested.
    "When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead; Only then will you have done your share." -Phil Messina

Looks like you take along bleach is good for making this as well a treating water.

Also looks like this won't last long....so would need to be made up as needed....

Pretty cool find......Thanks for posting.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27