Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bug out vechicles?

Question Bug out vechicles?

does anyone know a vehicle that works well and would withstand a electromagnetic pulse

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

About any of them that were not running at the moment of the blast, were shielded in underground parking garages or were a sufficient distance from the blast.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

A bicycle.

Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

If you're leaning towards your screen name scenario... angelic wings.

Oooh. I like that.

Quote Originally Posted by nuclearwarfaresurvival View Post
    does anyone know a vehicle that works well and would withstand a electromagnetic pulse

Your feet !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Well, nuclearwarfaresurvival.....
    To look at it in a practical, realistic way....

What is your BOV at this point in time?
    Is it ready to Bug Out?....Good shape?,... Filled up with fuel?...Gear loaded and packed?....Food/water for a week?...Weather related gear?.....Self protection assets?....

Loaded and pack gear broken down into carry size loads? .........
    Just in case there is a EMP........ or flooded road, or mud slide, or forest fire, or tornado, or earthquake, or hurricane, or volcano, or pandemic, or civil unrest.......
    Or just some one has died and you need to make a quick trip.

If all you need to worry EMP form a nuke....most likely localized.....are you in a target zone?.....
    Or are you thinking thermo-nuclear world wide strikes.....OR a Massive sun spot burst....in these cases "You" have nothing to worry about....it will be a nuclear wasteland and you are dust.

That's no fun Hunter. You are putting logic right smack in the middle of this guys fantasy!

No one ever figures out that the EMP has about the same burst radius as the nuke that creates it and the effects are in inverse proportion to distance, just like any electromagnetic spectrum force. So if you survived the nuke your vehicle did too.

The nice part is that we tend to gather all our scumbags and politicians into these urban sectors so they will probably be the first ones fried and demagnetized, our major cities being first strike targets.

The second factor no one ever considers is the affect that all those stricken vehicles would have on access to the roads. One can barely get around in daily traffic in most urban areas and that "burst", if it has the desired affect, is going to leave every car right where it sits. So even if you have an EMP proof vehicle the exit from the parking lot, parking garage, every intersection in town and every major roadway is going to be completely blocked. You aren't going anywhere!

We had traffic backed up for 20 miles both directions the other day, and that was just because Hillary was in town! Last week I had to take a 30 mile detour because a fender bender had closed down I-71/75 and traffic was backed up on 71 for 35 miles. It does not matter if your car is EMP proofed if the ones surrounding you and blocking you are not.

IF EMP were a real threat, and IF one were really thinking along those lines then Hunter's Hoover-cart is the real way to go. Buy a farm, buy some mules and pre-1900 farm equipment, sell the modern EMP plagued car, cell phones, power lines, radios and TVs and never leave the farm.

Massive EMP blasts present the same mutually assured destruction situation and deterrent that nuke war presents. Our rule has always been to assure that incoming missiles are spotted and ours are launched before the other guys burst. The only way a strike would work is if our President, the guy with the launch codes, was working with the other side.

OMG we are doomed!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 05-17-2016 at 03:32 PM.

Back the truck up! Demagnetized? Does that mean my inserted chip will no longer work? Well, this isn't good. The third world will be the only thing to survive. Well, that and cockroaches. Hand carts and donkeys. I saw tons of hand carts and donkeys. The guys with the jingle busses are gonna be so pizzzzed.

Keep your traffic jams. I'm gonna have me a cool little mini helicopter. Hahaha...yee haa! Woo hoo! I'm outa here.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Large bipedal Primate Billofthenorth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nuclearwarfaresurvival View Post

The older ones, pre-electronics would be your best bet. If you can find parts to keep it running and have the know how you should be pretty well off. If we get another bad solar storm like we had back in '59 (1859) we could be back in the stone age overnight for a few years anyhow but with nicer bathrooms. Then you can come back out here and poke fun at all these guys that...oh yeah.
    I have a feeling though that when that happens whatever gas is in your tank is about all the driving you'll get for awhile. So the bike, the horse and LPCs* are a good investment too.

*LPC = leather personnel carrier

I am still trying to figure out where someone that would be subject to the effects of EMP is planning to go in his EMP proof vehicle?

If one does not have the vehicle sorted out they probably also do not have their destination sorted out, other than running to the countryside and finding a fully functioning 19th Century farm abandoned and waiting their arrival.

You could probably take over an Amish farm. You KNOW they don't have guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You could probably take over an Amish farm. You KNOW they don't have guns.
    Ha...You would be surprised....LOL
    My cabin builder guy shoots a Ruger 7mm Mag same as I do.....but has a nicer scope......I guess the rule don't apply to rifles....
    I would have thought ....Flint lock 1750's

Uh yea they do have guns for taking out stupid people... seen this,

Let's move on...I work for these people. And I care.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Oh snap. Looks like I'm back to the drawing board.

Large bipedal Primate Billofthenorth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I am still trying to figure out where someone that would be subject to the effects of EMP is planning to go in his EMP proof vehicle?

If one does not have the vehicle sorted out they probably also do not have their destination sorted out, other than running to the countryside and finding a fully functioning 19th Century farm abandoned and waiting their arrival.
    A person might want to retrieve family members or wait it out at their weekend place in the country. Hard to say. It seems that much of the infrastructure could go down for a good length of time after such an event and that includes fuel stations and auto repair shops. I wouldn't count on vehicles to persist for long in most cases but in the beginning they could be helpful, those that still run.

Um, yeah. If your neighbors look like this chances are you don't need to worry about a vehicle.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.