Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: E.m.p. Survival

It's $200 for unlimited access on the WIFI. I took a package on my cell phone, however. There are lesser packages available. Since this was a work function for my son his company ponied up for the wifi (and the drink package )

EMP is an unproven threat. Maybe, and maybe not, kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Pfffffft. I remember only having to dial three numbers to connect to another party.
    Feh...that's not necessarily and age thing...I remember when I was a kid we only had to dial 4 numbers, locally, because geography. or in other words, it was a small isolated town, and for some reason it just worked that way. And being as I'm 33, and this was only 23 years ago, I really do think it was mainly a geography thing. heck, we had a fax machine, which at the time was still not only relevant but pretty cool.

Re EMPs....I like to think I could do without the phone and computer, but it's just hit me that an EMP would also knock out my e-reader, which would in turn mean I'd need to carry around paper copies of 100 odd books to have the same effect, and I don't think I want to do that.

EMP is real enough. There was a very large CME in 2012 that if it had come just a week earlier would have hit Earth squarely in the chops and would have done quite a bit of damage. One in 1989 took out a large part of the power grid in Canada. One that happened in the early 1900s took out the telegraph system in parts of the US. NASA doesn't think the Sun has ever put out a CME that was planetwide though. Even an airburst nuclear blast would be a relatively local event and you got more to worry about than EMP if one of those happens.

I do more of a hurricane/snowstorm type of preparedness, myself. Though I might add forest fire to that list. We have conservation land behind us and it is dry dry dry. A lot of dead hemlocks out there too that would probably go up like torches.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Lots of factors involved. A coronal mass ejection for example, if it's N and S pole matches the wrong way with that of our magnetosphere when it reaches us, it may do something. And then it has to be pretty strong though.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Actually......the one in 1989 tripped circuit breakers that set in motion an automatic shutdown of the grid. Lessons learned and all that. The trip level on the circuit breakers is now much higher and other safeguards have been put in place. In truth, we are probably far more vulnerable from a generation station or a balancing authority being hacked than from an EMP. As the grid moves into the realm of smart grid the hacker stakes will increase exponentially.

If you google around a study was done on EMP effects on cars. If the cars weren't running, there was no problem starting them again. If they were running, something like 3 or 4 of 5 could be restarted. Only a handful had to be repaired, and the repairs weren't extensive. An EMP pulse is a pulse, a wave, as it spreads out the power diminishes; objects like mountains, skyscrapers and dense trees can reduce the effectiveness. Plenty of stuff would survive.

And btw, I miss the old party lines and the bakelite phones.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Actually......the one in 1989 tripped circuit breakers that set in motion an automatic shutdown of the grid. Lessons learned and all that. The trip level on the circuit breakers is now much higher and other safeguards have been put in place. In truth, we are probably far more vulnerable from a generation station or a balancing authority being hacked than from an EMP. As the grid moves into the realm of smart grid the hacker stakes will increase exponentially.
    Now that is the most likely scenario....My opinion as well.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

...basically, the EMP danger isn't all it's been cracked up to be?

- William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTree View Post
    ...basically, the EMP danger isn't all it's been cracked up to be?
    Correct. Some electronics will fail, but life goes on. Far worse is if grid is hacked or destroyed.

Yeah, the fear of EMP is just the latest wave......get it? EMP? Wave? I slay myself.

Would not a HEMP attack be the ULTIMATE hack of the electrical grid?

Geezers huh? Hahahahah I'm only in my mid 30's and remember all of those scenarios and items.

I think it is hypocritical in a huge way, the attitude many people have on here towards technology. Many of you have no problem using a lighter or other modern firestarter. No problem using a metal knife instead of a flint or obsidian. No problem wearing gore-tex rather than leather of furs. In fact, I've seen many lectures from people on using the best tools available and how primitive tool making or medicine is a fantasy.

Heck, you're on the Internet right now as you read it. People use technology to make life easier and it is no different than examples many of the people on here have given as they lecture people about survival tools and products. Why would you not use the most modern tech?

Over dependence? Ok, I can get that. People love to mock younger generations and say they're zombies because they are all looking at phones... A quick google image search will show you pictures from 40 years ago where literally everybody in a train car is reading a newspaper. Is the current young generation somehow worse because they get updated, researchable news from an electronic device that can connect to the total sum of human knowledge rather than from a newspaper?

Nope- a geezer is somebody who complains about a younger generation and thinks they are superior. Why not just shake your fist in the air and say "get off my lawn you darn kids!"
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

Geeze Francis......lighten up.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Geeze Francis......lighten up.
    I just spit out my soda laughing as I read that.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by NightShade View Post
    Geezers huh? Hahahahah I'm only in my mid 30's and remember all of those scenarios and items.

I think it is hypocritical in a huge way, the attitude many people have on here towards technology. Many of you have no problem using a lighter or other modern firestarter. No problem using a metal knife instead of a flint or obsidian. No problem wearing gore-tex rather than leather of furs. In fact, I've seen many lectures from people on using the best tools available and how primitive tool making or medicine is a fantasy.

Heck, you're on the Internet right now as you read it. People use technology to make life easier and it is no different than examples many of the people on here have given as they lecture people about survival tools and products. Why would you not use the most modern tech?

Over dependence? Ok, I can get that. People love to mock younger generations and say they're zombies because they are all looking at phones... A quick google image search will show you pictures from 40 years ago where literally everybody in a train car is reading a newspaper. Is the current young generation somehow worse because they get updated, researchable news from an electronic device that can connect to the total sum of human knowledge rather than from a newspaper?

Nope- a geezer is somebody who complains about a younger generation and thinks they are superior. Why not just shake your fist in the air and say "get off my lawn you darn kids!"
    Bhohahahaha....You are correct!

But newspapers don't have batteries.......LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

And...you could start a fire with them. Try that with an iPhone.

Back on the EMP thingy. I've decided to start an EMP Survival School. My plan is to put students in various real life scenarios like: in the woods, in an urban setting, in their vehicle (preferably parked. You'll see why in a moment), or on the water. Places that one might find themselves if an EMP were to occur. They will be required to have their cell phone, ipad or other electronic device along with the required BIC lighter and other useful EDC items. I will then touch them on the back of the neck with an 18 million volt stun gun to simulate the EMP strike. The important thing I plan to prove is that whether their vehicle works or not they won't be able to use it. And those electronic gizmos? They won't be able to focus on them for at least three, maybe four hours. In case any students change their mind at the last minute I will have a Taser. Same difference.

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    How much did you have to pay to connect to the ship's wifi?
    I had to take a flight to florida a few weeks ago. There were no screens. If you wanted an in-flight movie you had to pay $5 to connect your phone to their wifi. If you wanted a premium movie, it was $15. Of course you had to have a fully charged phone and download an airline-supplied app... That's why I brought a book (a real paperback book) with me.

You know you can download movies off of youtube, right? Or you can use software to rip movies off of DVD's that you already own. Then you can have a bunch of movies already stored on your phone for the flight. I found that after taking 2 flights across the pacific (13 hours each), that it is best to have a backup battery for the phone. What really saved me was just what you mentioned, a good Tom Clancy in dead tree form, never ran out of batteries.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I will then touch them on the back of the neck with an 18 million volt stun gun to simulate the EMP strike.
    Aaah-hahaha-HAAA-hahahahaha!......ah-hahahaha-HA-hahaha...

...breath...

...breath...

........hee hee hee hee...breath...oooh weee...hee hee hee.......sigh...

- William Arthur Ward

Yeah, I know all about downloading and storing and ripping movies etc.
    But I have a job that keeps me very aware of what is on my computer at all times. And the work is hard-drive space intensive, so no clutter allowed. Since the phone and the laptop belong to "work" I don't download stuff with potential to clog up the works, or worse put me out of commission for a day or two.
    Tom Clancy has come to the rescue a few times. James Patterson too. Pretty much typical airport fare.

As for the 18,000volt charge simulating an EMP, I'm not so sure about that. An EMP doesn't affect an ion-exchange nervous system like it does a metal and capacitor/resistor system and is not similar at all to getting hit by lightning. If you are close enough to the epicenter under a HEMP though, you'll have more serious issues just keeping your flesh on your bones long enough to turn the car key than you will with EMP.

And about kids and iphones and geezers with newspapers. Ya, 40 years ago you looked around on the train and saw geezers reading newspapers. But not while driving their car down the road. Or even simply walking. I saw a woman almost get killed the other day, texting on her ipad walking down the sidewalk, came to a crosswalk and didn't even stop to look or give the traffic time to stop. She just kept on sallying forth. Lucky for her the guy in the oncoming car was able to stop. Just in time. Then there was the guy riding no-hands on his bike, texting away, sailed right through a red light, again lucky he wasn't killed. It's always good to lose the Darwin Award. Today.

I'm all for tech. Too bad it's so tied into big data with everyone wanting your personal information just so they can sell you something. I'd embrace tech whole-heartedly if it was lean and mean and useful, without some hive mind collecting every little scrap of data it can coerce, cajole, or downright steal out of you.
    Last edited by LowKey; 06-06-2016 at 07:44 PM.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant