Thread: small victories

Default small victories

I totally mowed 3/4 of my lawn before it started raining. Go me. Using an electric lawnmower in the rain seemed imprudent, so that's when I stopped. And, even more good news, that's all of the front yard and half the back yard, so I look like less of a loser from the street. Everything is coming up Badger!

LOL...I hear ya.....
    We have a sorta smallish yard at the city house.
    But DW ended up with BIL's Husqvarna 48" garden tractor....had 13 hours on it....after he passed , sadly.

Was supposed to be used to cut grass at MIL cottage, which was sold as was BIL's house.

So now I use it....talk about overkill...takes me longer to get it out of the garage then to cut the grass.

Neighbor sees me using it walks across the street....and says, "New Toy?"
    So I said, "Well, Obamacare gives old guys with heart issues one of these....for free".

He said "Really?"

Told him, "Yeah, ...and old guys have a habit to pulling your leg".

He said, "Oh".......He didn't get it.

I have gone to electrical leave blower, and weed-wacker though....much handier......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

See, I'm only doing this because all my really awesome ideas like "kerbside potato patch" and "suburban tallgrass prairie" have been shot down by the wife.

Wives have a habit of doing that.

I had the great idea (at least I thought it was great) to try and get a vacant lot on the street on the cheap from the city. Then slowly build a knife shop on it. Oh, it would look like a house from the street (small lots) but the inside would be a knife shop. I even sweetened the deal by offering to build her some storage. She still ain't buying it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

There was a house in Selma that looked like a Washington DC memorial. They had taken up the lawn and paved the front yard with brick. It looked good but Selma summers ----I don't think I could have handled that.

The places we've lived in Denver have been HOA communities. I could support a bill to regulate those things out of existence. We have a manual lawn mower that I thought would provide me with much needed exercise. If I used it as much as we need to keep the lawn in shape, it would provide me with a not much needed extinction. We hire lawn people. They're pretty inexpensive here.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

One day I will mow again.

When it dries out.

If I feel inclined.

Or if all the neighbors mow and put the community guilt trip on me.

Generally us retired geezers start at one end of the road and the fist guy mows, then the next gets the hint, then the next. Within 48 hours the whole road is finished.

I have neighbors that mow just so they can ride around on their tractors, most of which cost more than my cars.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

At least you weren't washing the car.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

And that's why I have my yard mowed. I don't care how hot it is, how tired I am, how bad a day it is, heck, I don't even care if skeeters are out. I can sit inside, have a drink and know the yard is getting the once over. Indeed, everything is coming up Badger.

The rain stopped at some point, but by then I'd put the lawnmower away and gone to the library so.....3/4 aint ba, right? I mean, I've been meaning to expand the vegetable garden anyhow. so I could just, like, dig the rest of the backyard up and plant things in it. flawless plan