Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What should I put in my kit?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

First of all go to the store and buy one of these.

https://www.google.com/express/produ...edium=shopping

It will provide you with both the round container for your gear and a cooking pot.

Eat the contents first.

You can take the paint off or leave it on, it will burn off in the fire eventually. The inside is unlined and unpainted so it is safe to heat water. You can also poke a couple of holes in the side near the top and make a wire bail from a coat hanger or even from picture hanging wire.

If you drink coffee a metal coffee can will work. They are also unpainted and unlined.

Hope to God you are not using a cheap multitool.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

That one is Out of stock...but looks like they have this one....
    https://www.google.com/express/produ...Q&ved=0EOEqCAg

Great idea......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yea, Walmart keeps it, so does Kroger an others. You can walk in and buy it about anywhere.

I myself prefer the Chock-Full-O-Nuts can approach and seldom buy coffee in anything but a metal can. It keeps me in good equipment supply.

Got one in each vehicle right now as part of the bigger supply setup. I spent a whole summer on the AT using nothing but a coffee can to cook in.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 05-15-2016 at 10:14 PM.

I don't know about Iowa, if you were doing it in Alabama at that time of year, the first item on your list should be a can of Deep Woods Off.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

Quote Originally Posted by chiggersngrits View Post
    I don't know about Iowa, if you were doing it in Alabama at that time of year, the first item on your list should be a can of Deep Woods Off.
    Definitely for Texas too. Went for a bike ride down the local riverwalk last night. Stopped to adjust a brake and the mosquitoes were swarming. Within 3 minutes I had five bites, in spite of jeans and a loose long sleeve shirt. Killed about a dozen of them on my shirt sleeves before I got things in order and got moving fast enough to avoid them again.

I once walked from the house to my truck and killed 14 skeeters while living down in TN.

The only time I have ever given up and gone home in the middle of the night was due to mosquitoes at a lakeside campsite.

Well one of the only two times. There was also the hypothermia thing.

At least dying from hypothermia you'd be skeeter free....hopefully.

When the skeeters shatter, when you swat them.......just Too Freaking Cold.....

I love your gumption. This will be one of the stories you tell on yourself decades from now.
    Get out there and get some dirt time.

You are correct Max. For an overnighter in June, in Iowa the attitude is the key.

Find a spot, gather a big pile of firewood and get a good fire going to last all night, put that cooking pot on the fire, find a good tree to sit back and lean against and watch the bobber on the fishing line. Chances are you will catch more after dark than during daylight, so just settle back and take a cat nap.

Don't try to out do Daniel Boone and build a new settlement in the wilderness. Just get comfortable and settle in.

We are talking the real Tom Sawyer thing here. It's not hard, people have been doing it since the stone age.

We might recruit Nate on this one, He grew up in Iowa back before he took that wrong turn and wound up a squid.

Quote Originally Posted by chiggersngrits "

I don't know about Iowa, if you were doing it in Alabama at that time of year, the first item on your list should be a can of Deep Woods Off."

Quote Originally Posted by NightSG View Post
    Definitely for Texas too. Went for a bike ride down the local riverwalk last night. Stopped to adjust a brake and the mosquitoes were swarming. Within 3 minutes I had five bites, in spite of jeans and a loose long sleeve shirt. Killed about a dozen of them on my shirt sleeves before I got things in order and got moving fast enough to avoid them again.
    Same here in Idaho. Anyplace here where there are creeks, rivers, lakes, boggy areas (and that's all over the State), the skeeters are out in force and offer "No prisoners; no mercy!"

Take your bug spray.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Trapper View Post
    Okay, I made some changes. I got rid of the pillowcase and the jar. The pillowcase I replaced with a blanket, and the jar I replaced with a tin can. I read that it is safe to boil water in a can, but I am not sure, so I will probably replace the can with something else. I also added some strips of beef jerky. And I forgot to mention that we are going to be there for a little friendly competition, seeing who can build a shelter, get food and water first, and who's techniques are better. That is why it all has to fit into the container I mentioned. We're just trying to see who has better "survival skills". I will probably end up having to admit that his skills are better, but we've never done anything like this, so I don't know.

P.S. The reason I have so many small hooks is because they came in packages of 100 and also because after we do this, I will probably put this kit in my car.
    I see what the deal is here, a friendly overnight Survival skills competition with your friend,
    not sure of the actual limitations, but seems like what ever you can fit in this 3inch x 12inch (1foot tube) ?

I would put in a small tarp for building shelter.
    some paracord about 20 feet or so...
    a Fixed blade knife
    Some combustion device, such as a lighter, i would also have backups for this; a fire steel and matches (weather proof)
    A small flash light/head lamp
    a metal container
    a cotton piece of cloth or a buff (for filtering water, also good for wood dressing etc)
    A small fishing kit - with lures or bait applicable to area.
    a few candles (helps start a fire)
    seeing as it's one nighter food is not terribly important, water will be more important.
    Take bottle of water.
    Bug replenet.

I have spent 72 hours in the Bushveld with less.
    just a knife a water bottle, a fire steel, and my rain puncho(tarp) which only used the 1st night- it was part of my clothing (raining that day of arrival)

here you can watch the video:
    Last edited by Antonyraison; 07-28-2016 at 07:41 AM.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Coffee filters for filtering water, and take a lighter test fishing line! Thick fishing line will not catch as many small fish because they see the line! I would take some 4lb test and maybe some 8 pound test if there are any catfish in the creek! Take some very small hooks and some mid size, that's all you need for creek fishing!

coffee filters also work for filtering water nice suggestion.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    First of all go to the store and buy one of these.

https://www.google.com/express/produ...edium=shopping

It will provide you with both the round container for your gear and a cooking pot.

Eat the contents first.

You can take the paint off or leave it on, it will burn off in the fire eventually. The inside is unlined and unpainted so it is safe to heat water. You can also poke a couple of holes in the side near the top and make a wire bail from a coat hanger or even from picture hanging wire.

If you drink coffee a metal coffee can will work. They are also unpainted and unlined.

Hope to God you are not using a cheap multitool.
    Useful advice! I learned about a couple cheap metal containers for survival

Quote Originally Posted by Manwithnoname View Post
    I would beware the glass jar. Drop or bump it and game over. Also, glass can be persnikity on fire or coals. I would sub the jar with something metal.
    Yeah, like one of the cheap stainless steel camp cups from Walmart !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Quote Originally Posted by Antonyraison View Post
    coffee filters also work for filtering water nice suggestion.
    But only to take out bigger stuff like sediment, leaf debris, sand etc - does nothing to remove bacteria or other nasties !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    But only to take out bigger stuff like sediment, leaf debris, sand etc - does nothing to remove bacteria or other nasties !
    A bandana will do the same thing....on less thing to carry.
    Always beware of "one more thing-ites"

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    Yeah, like one of the cheap stainless steel camp cups from Walmart !
    ha! have that one already

We should have Max or Crash go into the details of their "pot and machete" camps they and their buddies do down in Florida.

Some of the tricks they have learned in those camps might be of benefit here.