Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What should I put in my kit?

Default What should I put in my kit?

My friend and I are going to be doing some primitive camping overnight in the woods, and we are each allowed to bring some things, but it all must fit in a container that is shaped like a tube, and it is 3 inches wide and 1 foot long. There is a creek at the location that has minnows, bullheads, creek chubs, and snapping turtles in it, and it is about two and a half feet deep in most places, but it does have holes that are about five feet deep. We will be camping some time in June or July. The location is in eastern Iowa, and the most prevalent trees are elm trees and oak trees. There are lots of squirrels, a couple families of raccoons, and a few rabbits.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

First off I would suggest that your container be made from metal so it can be used to purify water and as a cook pot.

At that time of year and in that location I would include a space blanket, a Bic lighter, some fishing line/hooks/sinkers, then fill the rest of the container with beans and rice and a couple of strips of good jerky. Use the container to cook the beans and rice.

If you and your buddy both have cook pots you can use one to make coffee.

In KY we call what you are doing a "fishing trip". They probably do in Iowa too.

I went on my first one with my granddad when I was about 9. Went on my first one with just my brothers a year latter.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 05-12-2016 at 12:44 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Trapper View Post
    My friend and I are going to be doing some primitive camping overnight in the woods, and we are each allowed to bring some things, but it all must fit in a container that is shaped like a tube, and it is 3 inches wide and 1 foot long. There is a creek at the location that has minnows, bullheads, creek chubs, and snapping turtles in it, and it is about two and a half feet deep in most places, but it does have holes that are about five feet deep. We will be camping some time in June or July. The location is in eastern Iowa, and the most prevalent trees are elm trees and oak trees. There are lots of squirrels, a couple families of raccoons, and a few rabbits.
    Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome......

What is the purpose or your limitations?
    You don't need much for an overnight trip.......water, snacks, something warm and dry to sleep in/on/under.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

A tarp, beef jerky, fishing stuff, something to start a fire, fishing license. It is one night, so you don't need to eat a lot. You can also sit next to the fire all night if you have to. Fish as much as you can, and cook the fish.

However, you really should do it a bunch of times without gear limitations. After you get that down, start bringing less stuff.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post

You don't need much for an overnight trip.......water, snacks, something warm and dry to sleep in/on/under.
    Yes, I'd probably bring more gear oriented to keeping you warm, dry, and comfortable (to some degree) than fitting gadgets into my kit. This is easier said than done though.

Don' forget the bug spray. Skeeters can be bad at night.

T,T welcome and i hope you have a good time,
    coyotes listen to them, like children of the night what music they make.

"STUFF" never every leave home without your STUFF

$10,000 in fresh $100 bills and a bottle of Dublin Black Cherry soda.

If you'd like to see how to use this in a survival situation, send me one, and I'll make you a video.

Kyrat has a good idea. I would substitute the space blanket with a suitable size sheet of black visqueen and a hank of bank line.

I'll assume you are taking clothing that will provide adequate shelter outside of your visqueen tarp. I'd also assume you can't carry anything additional outside of the tube. So, I would add some form of cutting tool, sized appropriate to the space available. Maybe, a Case XX Mini Trapper.

If you can load your pockets or belt then what is the point of limiting to the container.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post

I admire you guys resolve and am not knocking your plans but am with Hunter. When I was a kid we used to go fishing/camping like this but I'm a lot older, fatter and spoiled now. I go to have a fun, enjoyable time which to me includes keeping warm, dry and my gut not knawing on my back bone. I wouldn't limit myself to anything less than a small pack unless you're just wanting the practice or to see what it's like. Could mean the difference between a great or miserable night.

Okay, here's what I have so far: a tarp, 200 yards of 12 pound test fishing line, 25 yards of 30 pound test fishing line, 100 small aberdeen hooks, 6 large cut bait hooks, 15 1/8 ounce egg sinkers, 15 1/8 ounce split shot sinkers, 2 8 ounce sinkers for doing bank lines, 1 glass jar for boiling water, 1 multi tool with sheath (pliers, knife, saw, file, scissors), 2 1 ounce cannonball sinkers, 10 feet of rope, a pillowcase for trapping/netting fish, and a lighter. Is there anything else I should take?
    Last edited by Turtle Trapper; 05-15-2016 at 05:38 PM.

I would beware the glass jar. Drop or bump it and game over. Also, glass can be persnikity on fire or coals. I would sub the jar with something metal.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

It is as if you are not even reading our posts!

You are going out for an overnighter, not running off to live in the woods.

Way too many fishhooks for working a 2 foot deep puddle for 24 hours. Way more fishing line than you need. You do not need to catch all the fish in Iowa, just a couple for supper.

You can not boil water in your average "glass jar".

You have included no food and no "camping" items.

While you can get by with no real camping gear in Iowa during June/July and just sleep by the fire, I would at least stick a couple of Snikers bars and some beef jerky in that round tube you described.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Also, your pillowcase, your theory is ok but in reality water won't flow through it. If you think you need something like that a mesh laundry bag would be a better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Trapper View Post
    Okay, here's what I have so far: a tarp, 200 yards of 12 pound test fishing line, 25 yards of 30 pound test fishing line, 100 small aberdeen hooks, 6 large cut bait hooks, 15 1/8 ounce egg sinkers, 15 1/8 ounce split shot sinkers, 2 8 ounce sinkers for doing bank lines, 1 glass jar for boiling water, 1 multi tool with sheath (pliers, knife, saw, file, scissors), 2 1 cannonball sinkers, 10 feet of rope, a pillowcase for trapping/netting fish, and a lighter. Is there anything else I should take?
    What are you doing? Opening a tackle shop?
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Quote Originally Posted by pete lynch View Post
    What are you doing? Opening a tackle shop?
    LOL...That what I was thinking....unless you are headed home for the night.
    You need to think about staying warm and dry..(time of year+weather).

Blanket/sleeping bag/along with your tarp for sleeping.

Forget the glass jar...can't heat it, breaks easily....very poor choice.
    Just think about a small sauce pan or pot.

Multi tool is fine...but I would bring a fixed blade knife or a folding pocket knife of some sort.

Pillow case make a great Hobo pack....will not act as a minnow net.

What is your plan for bait?.......Worms, grubs, artificial?
    Any floats in the plan?...Like bobbers or corks?....or use a piece of wood?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Just SMH...............
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Okay, I made some changes. I got rid of the pillowcase and the jar. The pillowcase I replaced with a blanket, and the jar I replaced with a tin can. I read that it is safe to boil water in a can, but I am not sure, so I will probably replace the can with something else. I also added some strips of beef jerky. And I forgot to mention that we are going to be there for a little friendly competition, seeing who can build a shelter, get food and water first, and who's techniques are better. That is why it all has to fit into the container I mentioned. We're just trying to see who has better "survival skills". I will probably end up having to admit that his skills are better, but we've never done anything like this, so I don't know.

P.S. The reason I have so many small hooks is because they came in packages of 100 and also because after we do this, I will probably put this kit in my car.
    Last edited by Turtle Trapper; 05-15-2016 at 05:37 PM.

Many tin cans are lined with a plastic film so be careful that yours isn't.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel