Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Career Choice in SHTF World

Default Career Choice in SHTF World

Hey Everyone,

I am new here and have been reading on here from more expert survivalists and decided its worth to post something.

Its amazing how people can come together in a SHTF situation like economic collapse, war, peak oil and I think we don't have a clue of how people will behave in a decline of the western world.

Preparedness for survival situations will cost a great deal of money and survival is difficult without modern conveniences. We cannot plan for everything. But in a total decline of the modern western world, peak oil, economy collapse, and war. Everything would be a challenge.

I have been questioning of what business would be like in that situation. How would products be manufactured? Even Growing your own food is a bigger challenge than I ever thought possible in an economic collapse.

Warm Regards
    Last edited by Ariane; 05-11-2016 at 06:04 PM.

People have been manufacturing goods and growing their own food since the dawn of mankind.

The only problem?
    There are far too many people on this planet to make that work. So unless your collapse includes a massive culling, the resources just aren't there for 7 billion-plus people.

You actually have to look back no farther than the early 1800s.
    Do you remember the lesson of the Gold Rush?
    It wasn't the gold miners making the money.
    Who was it?
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

It wasn't the gold miners making the money.
    Now that's a true statement right there.

I think that one of the things which would be at the forefront of my mind is becoming part of a group of people. Almost doesn't matter what 'job' I do...could do many, and people would probably need to be likewise multi-capable and flexible...but being part of a team would be vital.

The real trick is understanding different psychologies, and being able to judge people's character...and making sure that you're with the right kind of folks.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

I agree, Disputes were often handled personally and violently and became quite a massacre. Not to familiar with American History although they did call it the wild west for a reason. I am from England and know a lot more about European history. I am a terrible judge of character so that wont help me, also i am not as cautious with people as I should be especially with an economic collapse.

Although I don't expect the future can be predicted and what will happen, I envision that people in times of hardship and scarcity would come together and become much more cooperative with each other... Such as the lessons from post-world war II.

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    People have been manufacturing goods and growing their own food since the dawn of mankind.
    Yeah this is true, i believe in resilience and adaptation. I believe that money and progressive societies will survive and prosper if they choose to invest wisely and capitalize on their investment. In the near future capitalism will end and technology will become increasingly efficient using less natural resources and at the same time a worsening state of affairs in poor countries unable to adapt. I just don't want to be in the country that cannot support itself.
    Last edited by Ariane; 05-11-2016 at 08:51 PM.

It would be really hard for us to forget how to manufacture many of our conveniences that we use on a daily basis. The only way we would be "thrown back in the stone age" is if we forgot everything we have learned as a society.

My guess is that in the event of economic collapse, whoever survives the first year or two will just rebuild society to what is was before.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Sooo....The morning after the SHTF I plan on heading down to the "Post SHTF Welfare department" and get my welfare check.....
    Because everyone on knows the Govment is always gonna be sticking their nose in everything......

Oh wait...What kind of SHTF we talking about?

Serious.....Jack of all trades is a good place to start.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

SHTF/TEOTWAWKI sounded real possible the first 30 years I spent reading about it. The last 15 or 20, not so much.

if it did not happen during the Great Depression, and if it did not happen between 2008 and now, it ain't going to happen, no matter how different we think people are now.

BTW the peak oil thing collapsed again when oil lost 3/4 its value. Besides, the guy that came up with the Peak Oil thing had already set back the date a half dozen times before he died a decade back. It had to be readjusted each time a new energy reserve was found. He had finally given up on the theory himself.

The entire population is not going to forget the accumulated knowledge we already have, as Finallyme pointed out.

Turning back time??? To when? We have gone way past the witch doctor and warlord thing ever happening again. No one is going to worship you because you have a Bic lighter and most of the world is just as well armed as you are.

Even when Rome fell the rest of the world went on as it had and continued development. The eastern half of the empire flourished and never did "crash". Arabia, North Africa and Spain continue to flourish even as their neighbors in France and England lived in mud huts. The communication system and superstition was just so bad the information never reached western Europe until latter and they had to build an economy that offered something worth trading for.

Even then the universities in England, France and Germany were turning out doctors, lawyers, and teachers from the 1200s on.

So my bet for a profession post SHTF is doctor, lawyer, teacher, veterinarian, spiritual leader, plumber, electrician, computer tech, chicken farmer or about anything that is making you a good living today.

Best to concentrate on the SHTF we can actually do something about. That wildfire in Canada, the flooding of Katrina and Hurricane Sandy, the tornadoes that sweep across most every part of our nation at one time or another, the period of unemployment that stretches to 6 months or a year, the long term illness where we need care or we have to care for a loved one. Is that not enough SHTF?

Rather than take up training in the black arts, sword fighting, hovel building and professional dumpster diving how about getting the vehicles in order and full of gas, establishing that long term food supply, putting back some savings in case of emergency, having a full stock of emergency meds, taking a first aid/CPR course, starting a neighborhood watch as a community base in case of disaster.

There's real stuff to do.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 05-11-2016 at 11:26 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Hehehehe ^ yep. Can't avoid the eventual voice of reason. Never a break.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Yep, I am the self appointed harsher of the mellow!

EOTWAWKI is now pretty much the venue of those that WANT it to happen, not those that fear it will happen.

They are not happy in the world we possess and they feel they would do better if they cold press a reset button, especially if they think they can be in charge.

We do not have a frontier to run to any more, have not for a while, but the desire to remake ourselves on the edge of civilization still lives.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 05-11-2016 at 11:23 PM.

Master Distiller

I suppose it is romantic to fantasize about living in a post apocalyptic world for some, but it most likely ain't gonna happen. As has been said, local and regional events happen all the time. If you are not focusing your energy on preparing for those sort of disasters then your priorities may be skewed.

Rather than worry about a post EOTWAWKI career it may be more prudent to focus on a career now so that you have the means to prepare for what is likely, not something out of a B movie.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    SHTF/TEOTWAWKI sounded real possible the first 30 years I spent reading about it. The last 15 or 20, not so much.
    I am still in my first 30 year period.. So, I will expand a little on what I was trying to say. I had to type my last comment with a 2 year old on my lap, so I kept it short.

I do think that society will completely collapse. I am religious, and Christian, and believe in the book of Revelations... but don't think the times are as close as others think. I could be wrong...because no one knows..

Anyways, what would happen if society collapses? If the event isn't local (like Katrina or Sandy or East LA or Missouri...) then bugging out is retarded. Stay home! Your neighbors are in the same situation. Personally, I think that people will clump together, like they have always done. They will form groups based on geography and the group will become the mini government. The mini governments will establish an initial self sufficiency, and then when things calm down, they will start trading with other groups. Smaller groups will combine into larger groups, and eventually we will have nation states again.
    As for occupations, anything that helps the community will be valuable at first. We won't be in the dark ages. We will figure out how to manufacture the same stuff that we need, since we already know how to do it. The manufacturing will probably be small scale at first, but eventually get back to large scale. So, if for some reason you are trying to pick a career now, I would first try and convince you into a STEM field. However, if that doesn't make you happy, then you should look for what makes you happy, because you still have to do it the rest of your life. You can always pick up hobbies that would make you valuable later on. Crash is a good example. For his day job he deploys weapons of mass destruction on invertebrates. But, for a hobby, he makes knives. For myself, my hobby is to learn how to make everything. I have tried making clothes, knives, tents, sleeping bags, leather goods, bags, etc. I have a goal to make everything in my "kit" for backpacking and camping. Of course, right now I am teaching myself how to make books. I don't want to do my hobbbies for a living.

Regardless... it doesn't matter if the world is going to end now or later. Local disasters are real. Preparing for them is your top priority. And, preparing for them will help you prepare for other things.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by Ariane View Post
    I agree, Disputes were often handled personally and violently and became quite a massacre. Not to familiar with American History although they did call it the wild west for a reason. I am from England and know a lot more about European history. I am a terrible judge of character so that wont help me, also i am not as cautious with people as I should be especially with an economic collapse.
    For what reason did "they" call it the wild west??
    Who is "they"?

Seems your only experience with "the wild west" has been from western movies, which I find extremely entertaining but not historically accurate. That being said, why not use European history as an example of how things might pan out?

And how will looking at European history show how things will pan out in a total world collapse?

A total world collapse has never happened.

All the historical instances of social collapse have been regional, with recovery based on the efficiency of the communications and transportation infrastructure.

And as a historian I can assure you that things in the "wild west" got pretty wild. But that was due to the lag time between entry into the areas and the federal/territorial governments sending in LEO. It was also due to bad communication an coordination of the era.

When government and LEO entered the picture and were allowed to do their jobs they usually got things cleaned up pretty quickly. Just like today.

And when the bad guys visited the "civilized" areas they generally calmed things down, knowing the citizens would not put up with their foolishness. The beginning of the end for the James Gang was their decision to go out of their normal zone of operations and rob two banks in a town where about 50% of the population consisted of Union Army vets!

And the book of Revelation??? Read it closely, in the background is the story of an ultimate organization of "one world government" and a unified world economy. All those tribulations occur with a government and laws in place with the whole thing over in 7 years.

Crash's regular job? I can't imagine how much the demand for his profession would increase during a down turn of the social order. Imagine how popular he would have been during the Black Death! All those fleas! All those rats!

My old job? Yep, according to history they were setting up Universities in every state and territory before they had run all the Indians out. The Pilgrims had established Universities within 30 years of landing at Plymouth. The Homestead act of 1784 provided for a public school in every township. And if you want to use European history Oxford and Cambridge were both operating before Braveheart had been executed.

Then there is the ultimate fantasy, which is that we, the preparers, will survive the initial blow that causes the collapse. Every scenario begins with a total and complete world wide disaster that leaves the prepper untouched to make his decision to bug out or bug in.

Good luck with that!

I will simply be a fix it all handy man! I have enough tools and parts to fix almost anything. And of course I will only take goods for my services or gold!

I plan on being the "Star of my own show"...........
    But I will have to see what the "Show" is first.

What time does all this stuff happen? I may want to get to bed early the night before.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    What time does all this stuff happen? I may want to get to bed early the night before.
    Seven years ago according to BraggSurvivor.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'm still bummed about Dec 21, 2012...Them Mayans lied....was just a thunderstorm......?

I plan on being at ground zero.
    No desire here to rebuild civilization.
    Certainly not this one.
    But it's all we have, so going with it for the moment.
    ---

Prepping for the fall of civilization as described in Revelations? I suppose it depends on when you interpret The Rapture will occur and whether or not you plan on being caught up in it.

Otherwise it sounds like a whole lot of trying not to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

But then what?
    Is the world reduced once again to primordial slime? Or is there some vestige of mankind left on earth? Or do all those called to Heaven during The Rapture return to Earth and rebuild? What are they going to rebuild? Are the items stored in the many caches (that members here seem to have) going to be useful? Necessary? Or appropriate?
    Interesting survival dilemma in the true meaning of "post-apocalyptic world."
    Last edited by LowKey; 05-12-2016 at 10:33 PM.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant