Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: coffee in a post shtf world

Default coffee in a post shtf world

Every morning we get up and make our pot of coffee, ahh the aroma the taste of those
    heavenly little beans, as for me this morning it's goldcoast kona blend, that's big island
    to you noobs.latlely i've been survival mode my elec pot pooped out so i've been
    making my coffee FIX in a pot on the stove. i've had the real Kona on the Kona coast
    when i lived in hawaii and it was not a blend but stright Kona. in kealakekua,big is,
    that is coffee country. we have esspresso,darkroast, litroast and God forbid Decaf.
    everyone has thier favorite. the one day the SHTF has arived,omg omg omg, oh yeah
    i can hear it now honey we have to get to the store we need our coffee,

oh my no more mocha lapppe frappachino for bif and muffy just what will they do i wonder
    i know' but this is a family forum so i can't say.what would you do how much is the nectar of the gods worth to you? i can go without a lot of things coffee ai'nt one of them. serious what would you be willing

to barter for a pound of dark roast beans will it matter if it's starbucks kenyanAA or ethiopian darkroast or
    just plain old 8'o clock or hills bros. i would really like some to hear your thoughts.
    coyotes listen to them, like children of the night what music they make.

I don't drink coffee.... so no problem here.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

You should probably research what Europeans did during WWII for "ersatz" coffee and what the Confederacy used during the Civil War. I also became add8cted to hot cocoa, and that is originally from Mexico but has been introduced as a cash crop to other areas.

I for one refuse to drink roasted danilion roots or chicory,100's of millions of americans drink coffee
    every day. were the largest coffee drinking nation on earth. this could cause the zombie apocloyspe
    everone talks about.the withdral phase will be ugly indeed. and don't even get me started on cigarettes, oh my

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Old school here, so I consume my weight in coffee weekly.

The emergency rations include a sufficient amount of coffee in various forms to last as long as I probably will last.

However, as a historian I must point out that it was items such as sugar, coffee and tea that supported international trade back in the days of sailing ships, and coffee was available even in frontier settlements where the population was wearing hides and no one had shoes!

As soon as someone figures out how to get a dingy to sail from here to Central America and back coffee will be available. What'ca got to trade?

Most of our big retail grocers started life as coffee and tea importers. (I just wrote a letter to Kroger about the fact that they no longer have a coffee grinder in their stores. They sell the beans but have no grinder available. Kroger began as a coffee importer.)

Even in the Great Depression country folk found a way to buy coffee. I had relatives older than myself that shaped their coffee drinking habits around the depression era and WW2 rationing systems until they died. They drank coffee with cream but no sugar. On the farm they always had plenty of cream, but sugar cost money or was rationed, so you did with out that.

Here in the south many people dug, cut and dried sassafras root for the purpose of making tea. It is a poor substitute for coffee. Chicory also grows wild in the south (pretty little blue flowers you see along the roadside) and its roots can be dried and brewed if you can stand them. Chicory is added to many coffees to give it extra punch.

Chestnuts and hickory nuts have also been used as substitutes, but they were always just substitutes and not replacements.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

i had bought some coffee plants once but they evenually died, reason i belive they require
    a high humidity enviroment.all places where coffee is grown have high humidity,my uncle in puerto rico
    many years ago was a coffee farmer as was my grand father. I've picked beans in kauai where coffee
    was first grown in the islands in the 1800's before being grown on the Big island, the napali coast still has
    wild coffee growing to this day, december is when the cherries as they call them are ready to pick.

Senior Member Pennsylvania Mike's Avatar

Coffee for me, dark, robust, and I can drink it straight (no sugar or cream) and also drink espresso coffee, straight or sweat or with cream probably know as café con leche or café latte, got my wife hooked on it too. I can make coffee in many ways: Mr Coffee pot, perk, Italian coffee pot, in the field with a metal mush and a coffee filter or a coffee "stirrer" of any place I found that, 2 in a pack sort of a tea ball but with a handle so you can stir your coffee in a mug to perfect flavor (from weak to strong), or I can make it on the fire in a pot just water and coffee grounds, strain with a bandana. I guess you can tell coffee is my favorite drink, but also make hot chocolate from scratch the old fashion way.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Here in the south many people dug, cut and dried sassafras root for the purpose of making tea. It is a poor substitute for coffee. .
    We do it here too - I still do at least, but I never considered it a substitute for coffee, I just like the stuff ! Sassafras and chicory is real common here in Southern Ohio but I've never tried chicory,
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

In a SHTF situation, coffee will probably be more valuable than gold!!

I would be in bad shape....I put coffee right up there in the must haves.

Have used chicory to try it out,... tried sassafras transplants, from Missouri (didn't over winter)....But it would be would be hard to give up.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I would be in bad shape....I put coffee right up there in the must haves.

Have used chicory to try it out,... tried sassafras transplants, from Missouri (didn't over winter)....But it would be would be hard to give up.
    I am a died in the wool coffee drinker, but if there were no coffee, I think the next best thing would be a regular Coka Cola!

I've been known to consume a little coffee every now and then.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I've contributed a bit to Juan Valdez's bank account myself over the years !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Bhohahahaha......just a bit?......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

let us not forget the kentucky coffee tree as a substitute. As far as coffee go I can drink several cups one day and none the next or drink it for weeks on end and then quit for weeks on end. I can do this without cravings. Same goes for beer.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Oh no. Coffee.

That's a big one for me too. (Never any sugar or cream. I always joke that if you use sugar or cream, then you're not drinking coffee. And that if it's not good enough to drink black, then it's no good.)

I have more of a psychological addiction than anything else. I do just fine without it, as in being awake, and don't get edgy either if I don't have it. However, it's still a 'necessity' nonetheless. For me, it's about the 'coffee ritual' as much as the coffee itself. It's been a regular practice of mine to add 2 hours or even more to however much time I need to get ready for work in the mornings...specifically to enjoy the coffee in a leisurely way and not being in a hurry, in the cool quiet dark of the early morning. Makes all of the difference for the rest of the day.

I can do without beer or wine, though I've never drank much anyway. I might miss the smoke (though I accidentally quit without trying and now 'vape' - long story). But I'd sure miss the coffee ritual.

In the bush, much of my water intake would be some kind of 'tea' already. I can imagine making the adjustment and doing fine with just that. But would still lament the coffee.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

I'm right there with most of ya'll. I have my 10 cup pot every morning, black, strong and hot. I've never had straight chicory but have some blends like Community New Orleans blend and I love it.

Someone already said it and I agree, it will still find it's way here, just very limited quantities and not on a regular basis. Rest assured it also will command a very high price. Trade? Sure but instead of a gallon or two of milk they're going to want the whole cow. Someone else said they would just drink coke. When it all falls down, what makes you think that or any other soda pop is going to be available??

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTree View Post
    Oh no. Coffee.

That's a big one for me too. (Never any sugar or cream. I always joke that if you use sugar or cream, then you're not drinking coffee. And that if it's not good enough to drink black, then it's no good.)

I have more of a psychological addiction than anything else. I do just fine without it, as in being awake, and don't get edgy either if I don't have it. However, it's still a 'necessity' nonetheless. For me, it's about the 'coffee ritual' as much as the coffee itself. It's been a regular practice of mine to add 2 hours or even more to however much time I need to get ready for work in the mornings...specifically to enjoy the coffee in a leisurely way and not being in a hurry, in the cool quiet dark of the early morning. Makes all of the difference for the rest of the day.

I can do without beer or wine, though I've never drank much anyway. I might miss the smoke (though I accidentally quit without trying and now 'vape' - long story). But I'd sure miss the coffee ritual.

In the bush, much of my water intake would be some kind of 'tea' already. I can imagine making the adjustment and doing fine with just that. But would still lament the coffee.

Oh yeah, forgot to address something you said, I add that couple of hours in the morning just like you for the exact same reason. The difference with me is without my morning coffee, at least a cup or two, is me and my whole day just ain't right.

Coffee would be a major issue...and while I should be wondering where I would get other things like medications and such, I am instead googling to see if there are any camelia sinensis plants that can grow in the ottawa valley, because tea is better than no hot caffeinated goodness first thing.

Please see The Atlantic (5/13/2016) for the article by Julie Beck "Fancy Starbucks Drinks and the Special Snowflakes Who Order Them", about how Americans are into "mass customization" - some people will not survive very long if they have to use cows milk instead of soy milk in their latte.

It seems that even camp food has this. There are now about two dozen varieties of the of the basic item that I knew as just SPAM.
    www.theatlantic.com in Health
    Last edited by Faiaoga; 05-13-2016 at 08:14 PM.