Thread: New IWB and OWB holster I made

Default New IWB and OWB holster I made

Dual duty....can be worn outside the waistband or inside. Made from 7/9 oz. tooling/shoulder leather. I left it undyed and finished it with my beeswax/BLO/Turpentine mixture which gives it a nice color of honey.

Cut the holster design
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Tool used to make the stamping pattern

Rough fitting

Mouth stiffening layer and OWB belt loop

IWB loop

Hand Stitching

Getting there

Wet and stretch the slots for the pants belt

Burnish it with an antler tine to "form" the raised loop

Applying the waterproofing compound. Rub the wax in by hand and then hit it with low heat from a heat gun. This forces the leather to absorb it.

Finished product

The OWB loop is going to get a different treatment...a rehydrating lanolin/mink oil paste I get from Tandy Leather.
    Last edited by druid; 05-11-2016 at 02:03 AM.
    "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government."

~~Declaration of Independence

Nice job. I was thinking about sewing one up. I like the color the treatment left it.

Looks good.
    Yor are only a failure when you stop getting back up!
    I'm not a hoarder........ "I'M A COLLECTOR"

Another great looking holster. Well done.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Very nice ......thanks for posting the build along....
    I need to get going on a couple myself.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    Nice job. I was thinking about sewing one up. I like the color the treatment left it.
    Thanks. The recipe for the treatment is 1 lb. filtered beeswax, 8 oz each - turpentine and boiled linseed oil. Melt the wax in a 1 lb metal coffee can, add the BLO and turpentine and remove from heat. Stir slowly and evenly with a wooden paint stirrer until it begins to solidify. Keep the lid on it when not in use.

To use, you can either rub the paste in with your hands [use latex gloves] or slowly warm it to liquid and paint on with a brush. IMO, rubbing the cool paste/compound in by hand ensures even coverage. Once covered, hit it with a heat gun on LOW and the leather will absorb the mix. Allow to cool and buff with a clean cotton rag/tee shirt.

This compound works equally well for all natural materials.....cotton, wool or canvas cloth and any unfinished wood. It's especially awesome for canvas lean-to tarps.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Looks good.
    Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Another great looking holster. Well done.
    Thanks to the both of you.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Very nice ......thanks for posting the build along....
    I need to get going on a couple myself.
    Any time and feel free to use my design [or any adaptation of it]. In retrospect, I should probably have made the 'left' OWB cutout [the one closest to the sights] a little closer to the one at the trigger guard. It was a bit of a bear getting the glue to stick before sewing it together. Having a bit more 'meat' to the left of the "sight slot" would have allowed the glue a bit more to grab onto. Hindsight is 20/20 though LOL.

I don't know f you are familiar with working with leather so a few things you might want to consider if doing this particular style.......

I cut out [but forgot to get pics of] 2 "crescent moon" shaped gusset / spacers that wrap around the back of the trigger guard. They are glued and stitched in place between the front and back panels. Those 4 layers of 7/9 oz leather equate to exactly 5/8" thick on this holster. Glue one spacer to the front and the other to the back. Once dried you glue it all together and clamp in place. When that's dry you will need to drill out the stitch holes. I used a 1/8" dremel bit....and then the "speedy stitcher" needle was too short to pass through all 4 layers. I had to use the hand needles.

If I had to redo this holster, I'd make the OWB slots a little closer together as I mentioned above.

I didn't use a stitch groover on the front panel because of the pattern I tapped into it....so I had to estimate the drill points. You may [or may not] want to use one and then tap it with a thonging chisel/pricking iron/stitching chisel to evenly space them out.

Wash your hands or change latex gloves often. Dirt and oils transfer to leather.....but is especially noticeable on the artificial sinew.

When you come to the end of your sewing row, backtrack your stitch at least 4 holes, and then forward again at least 2. This helps to keep stitches from coming undone.

Try not to overheat the artificial sinew when using the heat gun on the beeswax application.

Good luck on your build[s].
    "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government."

I hear ya....
    Done a few over the years.....I like the wet forming.
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...rk-wet-forming

And I do my stitching with 7" 3 sided leather needles so I can grab them and pull thru 3 or four layers of hide.....I do pre-drill the holes.

Nice job on yours.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

gottchya.......thanks.